NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Warranty Vs. Repair Costs

VetteTax

With 70k miles in 3.5 years, Electra's water pump went this past weekend. So I took her in to B&B Chevy in Mesa. Also had the seat control/driver memory mechanism checked out as that was also malfunctioning.

Total cost of parts & labor: $1558

My out of pocket cost:: $46 (for the diagnostic of the seat control module and seat adjuster which went bad)

Got to love Warranty Direct $0 deductible after-market warranties.

:D :D :D

You forgot one figure in your calculations Dan..... What was the original cost of the warranty?

You forgot one figure in your calculations Dan..... What was the original cost of the warranty?

Eddie-it's not like he's an accounta....oh, yeah. Nevermind.... :leaving

M~

Eddie-it's not like he's an accounta....oh, yeah. Nevermind.... :leaving

M~

:clap:smilelol

Got my extended warranty, which is pretty comprehensive for like $1,200. Had one of my fuel pumps go out & a few other minor items changed out. It's already paid for itself & I still have 2 years &/or about 16,000 miles to go. I too love warranties, especially on cars where even a sensor could run you $300-500!

:thumbs

Jim

I'm not against warrantys but I would remind you all that warranty companies are in business to make money. They are all basically insurance companies and we all know how much $$ they make. You may occassionally get into their pockets but more often than not they are taking your pants, pockets and all.

My position is if you can't afford an occassional high $$ repair then buy the warranty but if you can afford the warranty you can probably afford an occassional $$ repair. Skip the warranty and in the end you'll be money ahead. Just my :2cents

I'm not against warrantys but I would remind you all that warranty companies are in business to make money. They are all basically insurance companies and we all know how much $$ they make. You may occassionally get into their pockets but more often than not they are taking your pants, pockets and all.

My position is if you can't afford an occassional high $$ repair then buy the warranty but if you can afford the warranty you can probably afford an occassional $$ repair. Skip the warranty and in the end you'll be money ahead. Just my :2cents

:agree

Besides, that $1,500 repair would have cost you a lot less. Remanufactured water pump at Checker Auto is $101.99 and new is $126.99 + coolant and a little personal labor.

Guest UVETTYA

It's a matter of opinion, as you can see. :yesnod

It's just insurance. A gamble. If you feel you need it, then get a warranty. You may get lucky and you may get the shit. :lol Whatever makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. :thumbs

I had one on the '03 Z and it paid for itself several times over. That convinced me to buy one for the '04 and so far I'm about $2900 away from breaking even on this one. I'm good until 2011 and/or 99K miles. I have 35K miles on it now and I KNOW they'll replace the clutch at least once in the next 64K miles and maybe a diff or tranny rebuild. I had all of that done under warranty, plus $1500 for a seat module, [$1500] both window regulators [at $479 a pop] plus upper engine decarb, front end parts and repair w/alignment etc. etc..- on the '03 and it didn't cost me a dime. I have 24hr roadside assistance, free towing and a rental car if the repair takes longer than two hours. Zero deductible on all repairs.

I'm betting I'll get my money's worth. :thumbs