The next chapter of mods about to begin.

Drewster67

So - I did the bottom end last summer - now I'm on the quest to do the top end.

This is my current short block setup

Forged Probe pistons 3.902" Flat top -3cc

TMS performance rings

Blueprinted GM block L33 core

GM connecting rods TMS remanufactured cores

GM Nodular core crankshaft 010/010 high speed balanced

King racing rod bearings

King racing main bearings

Thompson Motorsports single piece racing cam bearings

This short block is rated to 700HP

I'm looking for suggestions on how to build the top end.

Cam

Porting

New intake

New Larger Throttle Body

New Larger fuel rails

Reputable - reliable machine shop to do the head work.

Tune

Im looking to achieve at least 400-450 rwhp.

Lets start with cams -

Need something aggressive but not too aggressive to the point where I can't drive it on the street.

If I change the cam - what else needs to be done? Valves - Springs.. etc ..

Thanks In Advance!! :)

Drew

I'll reply to your questions in bold.

TMS performance rings

King racing rod bearings

Cam: Custom grind from us ;) we use ed curtis btw

Porting Advanced induction ported stock heads, or for less downtime do a set of AFR heads

New intake Fast 92 or 102 setup

New Larger Throttle Body If fast 92 do an oem ls2 tb, if 102 do a nick williams 102 or tpis 102 tb.

New Larger fuel rails not needed, would be solely for cosmetics

Reputable - reliable machine shop to do the head work. see first statement about advanced induction

Tune nic d obviously

Im looking to achieve at least 400-450 rwhp. a nice driving cam on an ls6 w/ stock heads/intake manifold will easily hit 415-420 rwhp. Throw on a good set of heads and a fast manifold you will be at your 450 goal.

Lets start with cams -

Need something aggressive but not too aggressive to the point where I can't drive it on the street.

If I change the cam - what else needs to be done? Valves - Springs.. etc .. when doing a cam you will get new springs and pushrods. we also upgrade the rocker arm trunions too.

Drew

Agreed with Joe

Ed C, Pat G, Brian Tooley

AI for heads if you don't do aftermarket

Only thing I would say is wait for new intakes. The new MSD, Vararam, etc intakes are out any day and may be a lot better, or may drive the fast prices way down.

Fuel rails are just for looks.

Other thing is what style heads you are going for. I would assume you are staying cathedral port instead of swapping to square port based off the bore size.

Any particular reason for doing H/C package instead of blown? Going to be similar $ won't it?

Hello -

Mainly because my Z06 will be my next dedicated track car.

Peace

Agreed with Joe

Ed C, Pat G, Brian Tooley

AI for heads if you don't do aftermarket

Only thing I would say is wait for new intakes. The new MSD, Vararam, etc intakes are out any day and may be a lot better, or may drive the fast prices way down.

Fuel rails are just for looks.

Other thing is what style heads you are going for. I would assume you are staying cathedral port instead of swapping to square port based off the bore size.

Yeah - I meant to say fuel injectors in my original post ... lol

Im not sure but I think it will be more cost efficient to have my 243 heads ported . but I really have no idea - I'm getting myself familiar with the different configurations/options available.

TMS performance rings

King racing rod bearings

Porting Advanced induction ported stock heads, or for less downtime do a set of AFR heads

New Larger Throttle Body If fast 92 do an oem ls2 tb, if 102 do a nick williams 102 or tpis 102 tb.

Reputable - reliable machine shop to do the head work. see first statement about advanced induction

Tune nic d obviously

Im looking to achieve at least 400-450 rwhp. a nice driving cam on an ls6 w/ stock heads/intake manifold will easily hit 415-420 rwhp. Throw on a good set of heads and a fast manifold you will be at your 450 goal.

Lets start with cams -

If I change the cam - what else needs to be done? Valves - Springs.. etc .. when doing a cam you will get new springs and pushrods. we also upgrade the rocker arm trunions too.

Drew

Thanks for the heads up Joe! -

Can you please write me up an estimate for the work you described in your reply - and email it to me?

Keeping my heads not going to do aftermarket.

Whats the difference in Fast intakes? I'm guessing air volume and pricing??

I need an estimate with 92 FI with LS2 TB and one with 102 FI and ?? TB -

Ill follow up with you once I have an idea what the pricing looks like.

Thanks Man!

TMS performance rings

King racing rod bearings

Tune nic d obviously

Lets start with cams -

Drew

Can you please write me up an estimate for the work you described in your reply - and email it to me?

Whats the difference in Fast intakes? I'm guessing air volume and pricing?? The 92 you can run an oem GM throttle body (90 mm) The 102 manifold you can run either a 90mm TB or do a NW 102 TB obviously a 102 TB is ideal given the manifold size. Sometimes you have driveability issues w/ a big throttle body like that as they let in so much air with minimal movement. If you major concern is perfect driveability and not the absolute max hp you can get, do a 92/90 setup and if you want we can port the fast 92.

Thanks Man!

Will have it emailed to you in a few min. Answering your questions in bold again.

TMS performance rings

King racing rod bearings

Tune nic d obviously

Lets start with cams -

Drew

Whats the difference in Fast intakes? I'm guessing air volume and pricing?? The 92 you can run an oem GM throttle body (90 mm) The 102 manifold you can run either a 90mm TB or do a NW 102 TB obviously a 102 TB is ideal given the manifold size. Sometimes you have driveability issues w/ a big throttle body like that as they let in so much air with minimal movement. If you major concern is perfect driveability and not the absolute max hp you can get, do a 92/90 setup and if you want we can port the fast 92.

Thanks Man!

Will have it emailed to you in a few min. Answering your questions in bold again.

Thanks Joe - Ill look it over and get back to you.

I really would just do a ported ls6 intake or something like that until the next round of manifolds comes out. MSD and Vararam in the next 1-3 months will have new intakes. Either they will be great and you want one of those, or they will drive fast prices down, but buying a fast right now right before the market could completely change seems like a bad move IMO.

I really would just do a ported ls6 intake or something like that until the next round of manifolds comes out. MSD and Vararam in the next 1-3 months will have new intakes. Either they will be great and you want one of those, or they will drive fast prices down, but buying a fast right now right before the market could completely change seems like a bad move IMO.

Thanks Unreal - I appreciate the advice.

Peace