NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

My 82 Tach Sits At "1000" When Shut Down??

Phill's Vette

Phill's Vette

This tach idles at 1400 approx but isn't jumpy, doesn't seem to have much of a range either but does "work"

:crazy QUESTION: Is this a gear problem, lube problem, circuit problem?? Where do I start to look?

Thanks!

Phill B

2v121hc.jpg

Shut off, mine always sat at about 1200 rpm. When you turn on the key to the run position it should go to zero.

I'm not sure where to tell you to start looking for your problem, could be with the tach itself, maybe the needle has moved on the shaft???

Phill's Vette
Did C-n-V give you a warranty at all? If so, take it to them and say fix it.

Tom,

Nope, I chose not to get that warranty - those kind of warranties in my experience are almost worthless when it takes them 2 plus weeks to even look at the car! They DID do several repairs I requested and some they found, all after the sale, before I picked up the car. I've done and will be doing several other repairs; never seems to end and as you say "It's always something" Sooooo True!!

The car runs very well since I have almost fixed the cooling issues (still need to install my new hi-flow water pump & T-stat to go with the new radiator) Looking forward to learning the workings of a CFI run motor;

I should be a pro vette mechanic in another year or so....

I'll attempt to respond to your email you sent Sunday - since I did a recent Windows update on the laptop, things have been wacky :chris

Phill B

Phil, from memory the 82's should be electronic.

Eckler's or any of them should have a replacement.

Just be sitting down when you call them for the price.

Let me know if you need more help, I still have all my C3 books...

I don't have a clue about the tach but I had to tell you I love the avatar Phil! :thumbs

Does it come in C5 variety? :lol

Phill,

Go up to the Pavillions this Saturday and bring your 82 and I'll have a look. park in the vette row so I can find you. I'll be out there around 6ish.

Phill's Vette
Phill,

Go up to the Pavillions this Saturday and bring your 82 and I'll have a look. park in the vette row so I can find you. I'll be out there around 6ish.

Tom,

I'll see you Saturday.

Phill B :howdy

Phill's Vette
I don't have a clue about the tach but I had to tell you I love the avatar Phil! :thumbs

Does it come in C5 variety? :lol

And I like yours! :cool

Thanks!