NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Shift No More

MesaBulldog

:dupe Help, It got me, my little 1988 monster got me again. One day awhile back, I could not get the button on my automatic transmission to go in so I could shift into DRIVE or anything but park. For no apparent reason, it started working again. BUT - Surprise it has happened again. Anyone got an idea? HHHHHEEEEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

:dupe Help, It got me, my little 1988 monster got me again. One day awhile back, I could not get the button on my automatic transmission to go in so I could shift into DRIVE or anything but park. For no apparent reason, it started working again. BUT - Surprise it has happened again. Anyone got an idea? HHHHHEEEEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

on the steering column, inside the engine compartment, about 3" away from the firewall. There is a flat metal arm that sticks out 90* from the steering shaft.

This arm is to prevent the Ignition key from leaving the column until the car is in park.

This is a pure WAG (wild ass guess) but move that arm, and see of the symptoms change.

The next thing would to tear out your center console and expose the shifter and linkages underneath. There may be a foreign object jammed/wedged in the armatures.

good luck

on the steering column, inside the engine compartment, about 3" away from the firewall. There is a flat metal arm that sticks out 90* from the steering shaft.

This arm is to prevent the Ignition key from leaving the column until the car is in park.

This is a pure WAG (wild ass guess) but move that arm, and see of the symptoms change.

The next thing would to tear out your center console and expose the shifter and linkages underneath. There may be a foreign object jammed/wedged in the armatures.

good luck

TKS,I'll Start in that spot.Hope your first guess was right.Let you know.DS

Well, if an '88 is anything like a '95 I can tell you exactly what it is is, and how to fix it!

First it is likely to be the Brake Transmission Shift Interlock Solenoid (BTSI). It is located in the console and it is easy to get at. Open the console. You will have to take the door off and the shifter knob. the hard part is getting the lock washer off the shifter so you can pull the console plate up. Use a scratch awl or a dentists pick if you have one.

Once the console is open you will see a solenoid that attaches to the shifter. This is the culprit it hangs up.

You can pop it off with a screwdriver and your shifter should start working.

Now here is the problem, you cannot buy just the solenoid. You must buy the complete shifter assembly. About $200 and a hassle to replace. You might be able to find a used one some where.

However, I fixed mine by putting a rubber "O" ring around the shaft of the solenoid to keep it from closing all the way and binding up. It has worked great so far. About a 20 cent fix.

I have a picture that I will post as soon as I get it out of my camera.

Anyway, check this out this could be your problem.

Good Luck!

Unfortunately the 88 won't have the brake interlock, that was a 94 and after item. Still sounds like you'll have to get into the shifter and see what is binding. A snap ring plier is the easy way to get the c- clip off, and then the other parts as AZJoeD said. Not sure about an 88 but you might have to remove the center a/c vent and the radio bezel to get to the front screws for the console. Good luck, Robert :thumbs:burnout

Unfortunately the 88 won't have the brake interlock, that was a 94 and after item. Still sounds like you'll have to get into the shifter and see what is binding. A snap ring plier is the easy way to get the c- clip off, and then the other parts as AZJoeD said. Not sure about an 88 but you might have to remove the center a/c vent and the radio bezel to get to the front screws for the console. Good luck, Robert :thumbs:burnout

Are you parking on a level surface or an incline. The car might have shifted against the tranny and is jamming it tight? Try pushing the car forward while someone tries moving the shifter