NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

What's The Shelf Lifeof Vp Racing Fuels?

Guest UVETTYA

Guest UVETTYA

I have 5 gallons of VP 101 unleaded in a plastic can that's been sitting in my garage for the better part of two years. Do you think it's still good? I took the cap off and there doesn't appear to have been much evaporation and it still smells like VP. Would you put it in your Z06?

maestro.gif

http://www.chevron.ca/FAQs/FAQsGasolines.htm

3. How long can I store gasoline without it going bad?

Gasoline stored in a tightly closed container in a cool place will stay good for at least one year. It is better if the container or gas tank is almost (95%) full. If the container or gas tank will be in the sun or will be heated above 27ºC much of the time, add an aftermarket fuel stabilizer to the gasoline when you first buy it. Gasoline-oil blends for two-stroke cycle engines stored under the proper conditions will keep as well as gasoline itself.

Andrew

Steve, I sent mail to VP and asked them how long their gas would last and if yours would be any good after this long, still waiting fro a reply. I'll let you know what they say if they reply. :thumbs

Guest UVETTYA
Steve, I sent mail to VP and asked them how long their gas would last and if yours would be any good after this long, still waiting fro a reply. I'll let you know what they say if they reply. :thumbs

Thanks! I asked at the track today and they said two years was way too long. Now I need to figure out how to get rid of it. :huh

Guest Sidewinder

Steve,

Race gas wouldn't do your Z any good anyway. You don't have F/I and your not gonna advance your timing any are ya?

Guest UVETTYA
Steve,

Race gas wouldn't do your Z any good anyway. You don't have F/I and your not gonna advance your timing any are ya?

No, I won't advance the timing, but higher octane will keep the computer from pulling it. 91 octane is bunny piss. :U These cars were tuned for 93. 91 is the lowest octane you should run and I only put that in because that's all I can get. Most of the Eastern states have 93 at the pump instead of 91. I don't know why they bilk us here in the West. My Z runs like a raped ape when I visit my relatives in Iowa. I have a hard time keeping it in a straight line.

I do it at the track mostly to help with KR. I've found if I run about 95 octane the car stays strong throughout the day. My times got better last Sunday as the day went on. I had 7 gallons of 91 in the tank when I got there and I added 5 gals of SUNOCO 101 unleaded. That gave me an average octane of 95.1. Perfect! :thumbs

Guest Sidewinder

Steve,

No, I won't advance the timing, but higher octane will keep the computer from pulling it. 91 octane is bunny piss. :U These cars were tuned for 93. 91 is the lowest octane you should run and I only put that in because that's all I can get. Most of the Eastern states have 93 at the pump instead of 91. I don't know why they bilk us here in the West. My Z runs like a raped ape when I visit my relatives in Iowa. I have a hard time keeping it in a straight line.

I do it at the track mostly to help with KR. I've found if I run about 95 octane the car stays strong throughout the day. My times got better last Sunday as the day went on. I had 7 gallons of 91 in the tank when I got there and I added 5 gals of SUNOCO 101 unleaded. That gave me an average octane of 95.1. Perfect! :thumbs

I C