NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

B&m Shifter

Loud Pedal

I installed their short throw shifter recently and mentioned in another post that there was some rattling coming from it. I think I figured it out...

The shifter fits both the C5 and C6. The only difference is that for a C6 install, you must rotate the keyway on the shifter so the shift knob fits. While disassembling the shifter shaft, I was thinking to myself "Self, this thing is grossly overengineered. Look at all these o-rings in here just for a pin."

At the same time, I noticed one of the o-rings was smashed and damaged. So I went to my scarce o-ring collection and found one that almost fit ( come on, we've all done it :lol ). Well, I have determined that the purpose of the o-rings is to reduce vibration and noise - especially since the Z06's have a solid mounted shifter as opposed to the rubber mounts on a regular C6. I called B&M and they are sending me a whole new set of o-rings. Hopefully that gets rid of the rattle because it is more annoying than i thought after the newness wore off.

Don't know if this is useful to anyone, but there ya have it. I'll post a follow up after i get and install the new o-rings.

David

pensativo.gif Ok, just out of curiosity, I have a question. Is that the B&M Ripper? Or Rip Shifer? Or something like that..... bah.gif That wasn't the question I wanted to ask though.... humm.gif My question is, is it true that the B&M shifter will void the car warranty? I would like to get a shifer for the GTO but I read on another forum that the warranty is voided and I don't want to risk that. Is there any truth to this? perdona.gif

Andrew

Guest Sidewinder
pensativo.gif Ok, just out of curiosity, I have a question. Is that the B&M Ripper? Or Rip Shifer? Or something like that..... bah.gif That wasn't the question I wanted to ask though.... humm.gif My question is, is it true that the B&M shifter will void the car warranty? I would like to get a shifer for the GTO but I read on another forum that the warranty is voided and I don't want to risk that. Is there any truth to this? perdona.gif

Andrew

Never heard of that one. I don't know how it would though.

I just found the post I was talking about and I read it wrong. disimulo.gif The guys tranny took a poop and the dealer was trying to say it was because of the shifter. But it was something else, galletos.gif they were just trying to get out of doing warranty work......

I guess I should take some reading lessons.....

Andrew

Guest UVETTYA

I've "heard" that the Magnusen-Moss warranty act states that they must be able to "document" exactly how your modification caused the problem. For example, if you install headers and your transmission goes out, they would have to be able to document how the headers caused your transmission to go bad.

I don't have any personal experience with this, so far all my warranty requests have been honored.

A lot depends on the stealership too. If you have a good relationship with them they may not even question it. The SVC MGR at Brown and Brown told me the headers, X-pipe and catback would void my emmissions warranty. I don't see that being a problem as I've had a tune and edited out all the codes. So unless they reflash the PCM, which I forbid, there shouldn't be a problem with them honoring an engine or drive-train issue.

For the C5 my first shifter I put in the car was a B&M model 45057 and I hated it. I then switched to the new model B&M shifter (model 45044). I still had to do a foam mod to keep the noise down, but I've been very happy with the performance.

Here is the mod I did: I got some 1/2 " foam from Cascade Tool & Foam Supply. I cut a round disc to fit inside the opening and used an adhesive to keep it there. I haven't had any problems with it moving and it reduces the noise significantly

12934100_0537-med.JPG

12934100_0538-med.JPG

12934100_0540.JPG

12934100_0541.JPG

12934100_0542.JPG

12934100_0539-med.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
It is the Ripper shifter. Still waiting on the O-Rings.

Did you get the rings and did it make a difference? My stock shifter is starting to rattle at 10K miles.