NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Transmission Stopped working suddenly

malori

I am a new owner of a 2005 C6.

I parked it and put it in reverse and left go of the clutch before shutting it off. Usually this will just kill the motor, but this time it did not. I try to engage the clutch and now I heard a clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk like the drive train is turning and something in the differential has broken.

Like I said I am a new corvette owner and I am unsure how common it is to have differential/transmission problems with an '05 manual C6 corvette.

Any advise, opinions or similar experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Malori

Possibly a sheared torque coupler. Dont understand why you would be trying to kill the motor with the with the clutch instead of a normal shutdown

Azmotorhead - This was not an intentional act but it turns out the axel snapped.

joe@cpr.com - Have you ever heard of this happening. The guys at http://www.automotivediagnosticspecialties.com/ seemed surprised. Still waiting to hear if the torque system is OK.

F22trainer - So for it is $800 for just the axel.

Thanks all for the feedback, keep it coming I am not sure how far this will go $$$ :)~

I would not change the other axel. I broke mine at a track event. However I have 600 RWHP. A great fellow Vette owner had an extra one in his motor home. And pretty much took it on himself to change the axel and hub right at the track! He wouldn't take any compensation for his parts or labor. The passenger axle has not shown any sign of weakness. So leave it be!

SLAMMER

• 2 years later...

Here is my latest and any advice, opinions, or gripes (LOL) are appreciated!!

The traction control started engaging, at idle speeds, but only while turning. 

There is a grinding in the rear, only while turning.

The right axle and torque tube were replaced the next thing to go would be the differential or the other axle. 

The fluid from the differential had bits of metal in it and the shop flushed out as much of it as they could and turned off traction control. 

Shop suggested taking it to the dealer, worst case it needs the differential and "carriage?" replaced.

Quoting part costs of $3600 and possibly $2000 for labor.

$5600 to replace the differential is nuts.  You can by a low miles used 3.42 diff for $1500 - $2000 shipped.  Labor to r&r a differential will not be $2000.  A shop that knows what they're doing can do the job in 4 maybe 5 hours.