NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Quick Question About Nitto Tires

92ZR1Wannabe

92ZR1Wannabe

The time is finally here for tires, ive been shopping around and it looks like I can do one of 2 things.

1. Goodyear Eagle F1's Total price is close to $1400 bucks after you add mounting , disposal, warrenty ect ect. (Discount Tire) A little pricey for sure , but I can't really hold off any more.

Option

2. Nitto 555's up front and 555r's (DR's) out back, they are about half the price and I was just wondering if anybody had the 555 drs on the back of their vettes and were still driving daily on them (not that i drive mine daily i just want to make sure that its a option if needed)

Any input would be great!

Tires sizes btw

Fronts 275/40 17 ,, Rear 315/35 17

Thanks!

The 555's are a harder compound tire.. You will get great wear out of the fronts.. The rears are harder than the BFG DR... depending on how you drive... count on 5000 miles out of a set of DR's

92ZR1Wannabe

Heh thanks for the info.

Im just going to bite the bullet and get the Goodyears . <--- (And keep the traction control on ................ sometimes :) )

Goodyear's SUCK, get the Nitto's

might he run into a problem with the size? do they make it in a 315? which size DON'T they make? Mark, i know you have 285's on yours - why didn't you go wider?

Guest Kens06

Hey guys,

He's running 17's on 11" wide wheels!! C4 remember!!

315's are normal size and they are 35's not my 304/45-18's MARK!!

You will be fine!!

Ken

Guest XLR8TNC5

I also run the 285's on my rear end and all I can say is that I LOVE them!

Let's put it this way, these Nitto 555R DR's were on back order all over the country for most of the Summer due to the demand for them.

Good luck on your choice.

92ZR1Wannabe

Let's put it this way, these Nitto 555R DR's were on back order all over the country for most of the Summer due to the demand for them.

They sell the 555DR in the size i need , however for 200 bucks each, i would like more then 5000 miles out of a tire. :) (and i never hit the track) so its best if i buy a actual street tire i can get alot of miles out of.

They sell the 555DR in the size i need , however for 200 bucks each, i would like more then 5000 miles out of a tire. :) (and i never hit the track) so its best if i buy a actual street tire i can get alot of miles out of.

there is ALWAYS a trade off - lots of traction, little tread life or less traction, more tread life - you need to find your happy medium - if you want cheap, buy sumitomos - if you want a good tire, buy the Nittos. i have the BFGs on my car now (315's on 10.5" rims) they sure stick pretty good at the street - but cornering is not what it should be - the rear end feels squishy, it's kinda creepy. when the BFGS i have wear out, i will replace them with nittos.

Guest UVETTYA
So are the kumo's CnV installed on mine any good ???

I've heard they're inexpensive Dawg, like a hundred bucks a tire and lots of track people like them. My instructor yesterday was tauting them. Never tried them myself.

Of course, you know how it is... most people think the tire THEY use is the world's best. :lol

Of course, you know how it is... most people think the tire THEY use is the world's best. :lol

Not me, I've got Goodyears and mine are the WORST in the world. As far as I'm concerned, if they ain't Goodyears, then they are good!

I've never like Badyear on anything I have ever owned; from trucks to sports cars. Never had them on my old bike, but there's prolly a reason for that. :D

OK, why do you want DR's if you don't race??

THEY are cheap!!

Why are they cheap, they don't last very long!!

I'm in the same boat with the 92!

It has 11" wide 17" wheels with the Grand Sport offset.

The odd size makes it hard!!

Your choices are BFG g-force 'old style' DR's. $180 a pop at Discount Tire!

Goodyear F1 GS-D3 @ 315 a pop!!

That's what is on the 92 now and with the HP of the LT-1/hotcam, I never worry!

I never had a problem with the BFG's in my '96 LT-4.

However I used them for what they were built for, drag racing!!

I believe you would get more than 5000 miles out of them!

Glenn happens to own an abnormal HP street driven daily driver!! :rolf:rolf

My :2cents

Ken

Your choices are BFG g-force 'old style' DR's. $180 a pop at Discount Tire!

Goodyear F1 GS-D3 @ 315 a pop!!

That's what is on the 92 now and with the HP of the LT-1/hotcam, I never worry!

Meaning they hook up ? or you don't bother trying? Even my 92 with minor boltons will smoke the bejesus out of the Dunflop SP 8000's on the rear of the car through first gear. Im just trying to weigh the + and - of each option. Either I drop a assload of cash into the goodyears (Which nobody seems to like) and get 20k miles out of them (or much much less out of the rears :) ) or I drop half as much money into the Nittos and stick DR's on the rear of the car and get maybe 10k out of them driving nicely . Just trying to figure out which is going to get me the best bang for the buck.

Only down side to running DR's on the street is the wear, other then that I love the price!

Guest Sidewinder

Put the Nitto's on, be happy, and be done with it. My Z would BLOW the F1 Supercars off the back. Now with the Nitto Dr's they grip if I hammer on it AND they handle very well.

Guest Steve Mulvey

We had a 72 horsepower (not a typo) Honda Civic up to 5th place overall out of 80 cars including GT2 Porsches, the Yokohama V8 M3 Bmw and others in a 12 hour race in the pouring rain on Kumho road tires in a 205 40-16. They are the absolute pinnacle in the rain, be happy. :clap I would put Kumhos on all my cars if they made the sizes I need..

Goodyears look good and don't work very well. Toyos are the ultimate dry race tire IMHO :D

Steve

You'll be fine with the Nitto's. You will also get more than 5K out of DR's. I'm running 555 up front and 555R's. My set up was $1190 and I have 285 18's up front and 305 18's out back. $1400 for GY is re-cockulous lol.

Guest UVETTYA
Toyos are the ultimate dry race tire IMHO :D

Steve

I'm glad you said that. I'm on my 3rd set and love them. They hook pretty good at the drag strip and I was farily well impressed with them last Sunday at Fireturd. :thumbs

You'll be fine with the Nitto's. You will also get more than 5K out of DR's. I'm running 555 up front and 555R's. My set up was $1190 and I have 285 18's up front and 305 18's out back. $1400 for GY is re-cockulous lol.

After reading all of your guys / gals input and reading up on the goodyears , I went with the Nittos ... LOL Not alot of people had anything good to say about the F1's.

I know that tire wear will be more with the DR's however with my car seeing less then 5k miles a year and up to this point , ZERO track time they should last me long enough. Even when the tires need replaced , they are only 200 bucks a piece vs well over 300.

Not to mention they sound like their gonna hook up well in the occasional stop light to stop light grand prix.

Total price for 4 , mounted , balanced , taxes , blah blah blah blah was $1001.43 . I have them ordered and they should be in and ready for mounting early next week.

Thanks again for all the input!

Robert and Elizabeth

We had Nitto's on our 450hp 2001 WS6 Trans AM and those tires were awesome. When you hit it at a light, the car would just squat and launch. It was hard to get any tire spin on them, even in the rain. We had the F1's at first, but they sucked. The car was all over the place when you hit it. We also had a stock 2002 WS6 that we put Kumho's on and they were also great. You will be safe (literally) with the Nitto's or the Kumho's.