NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

64 Vette Repair

Guest Steve Mulvey

Guest Steve Mulvey

Does anyone know of a shop that can rewire my car from end to end? I have some electrical things going on and prefer the permanent fix thing. :confused I also would like to find someone who can install a new radio and speaker, fix my antenna, and get it all to work. I need to have the carpet replaced and the dashboard refurbished too... I checked in at Corvette Restoration Arizona but they are not interested in doing new business with people that they do not know :crazy which makes no sense to me but whatever..

Soooo if you know peope with these skills who can give an estimate and follow through, I will be forever grateful.

Thanks

Steve

AZ Power and sound......

I would think mike would have fun putting that together....... a 64...............

I would love to do it...... I use to install stereo's and I have rewired a VW bug, back in the day......I know it's not a corvette but a 64 should'nt have that many wires.......

Maybe a corvette Saturday @ your House.........I'm sure alot of vette lovers would love to come help.....

I will be watching your progress, I also have a 64 Riverside Red convertible. Have done quite a bit myself but old as they may be they do require a lot of tender love and technique. Best ofLuck.

Keep in touch.

:howdy

Guest Steve Mulvey

Actually, it looks pretty complicated to me :leaving and it isn't cheap... http://www.lectriclimited.com/corvette_wir...tm#Deluxe%20Set

My mechanic said it would take him a while and to find someone who has done it before and he did restoration on this car:

Ac%20Cobra%20Daytona%20Coupe%201964.jpg

But if you guys think you can do it, I have the shop manual and can supply steaks and beers... or sodas, or Mai-Tais or whatever.... :drinkers

Steve

I'd start by getting an opinion from the C2 section over on the Corvette Forum as to the level of difficulty. If they say it's not a tough job I'd be willing to chip in with my share of labor. If they say it's tough it might be worth you while to buy the ready made harness. I'm sure having the harness would speed up the job even for a competant mechanic. Otherwise they'd have to manufacture it and I'm not sure the connectors would still be available.

Guest Steve Mulvey
I'd start by getting an opinion from the C2 section over on the Corvette Forum as to the level of difficulty. If they say it's not a tough job I'd be willing to chip in with my share of labor. If they say it's tough it might be worth you while to buy the ready made harness. I'm sure having the harness would speed up the job even for a competant mechanic. Otherwise they'd have to manufacture it and I'm not sure the connectors would still be available.

I am absolutely going to buy the harness, that was always my intent. I just have no idea how to get the car apart to install it, nor am I young and limber enough to do the Cirque du Soliel manouvers I am sure this is going to require ....

Guest Steve Mulvey

The consensus of opinion on the corvette forum is that this is not that tough, just somewhat time consuming...

Steve

I can't commit to being the foreman on the job but I can certainly commit a few hours on a Sat or Sun. I would suggest a Sunday cause Steve is available and he has little bitty hands (you know what they say about the size of a man's hands?)

I was chatting with Dwayne (Desertdawg) last night about this job, and I think that it can be done by a few members here.

I would say to at least have a weekend put aside for this job, have tools to remove anything that would be in the way of installing the new harness.

I would be up to it if you decide to give it a try.

Phil... :devil

Guest UVETTYA
I can't commit to being the foreman on the job but I can certainly commit a few hours on a Sat or Sun. I would suggest a Sunday cause Steve is available and he has little bitty hands (you know what they say about the size of a man's hands?)

Do you know what the little bell said to the big bell? You might have a bigger dong but I get a lot more dinging. :yesnod

THis was my project.

Front3qter.jpg

Teardown

Resizeofvettinterior.jpg

Insulate and clean up

ResizeofIMG_0857.jpg

going back together

ResizeofIMG_0871.jpg

Finished

fininterior.jpg

Glamour shot

IMG_12905.jpg

Here is the scoop.

With 2-3 hands that interior will get gutted in one day.

Once its gutted, the wiring harness replacement is a snap.

Putting the interior back will take 1-2 days.

The problem you face is while gutting. Your car will sit gutted for several weeks. As you pull parts off you make the call to Restore, Replace, or Reuse. No matter what this will not be done in one weekend.

You make a list of the "need to be replaced" bits. Then make a phone call to Al Knotch (with credit card in hand).

You make a list of the Restore bits (mostley chrome and gagues) and send them off to be refinished.

Id be happy to help (and this is a doable job) but be prepared to spend several thousands of dollars in this phase.

If you are ready to commit to this project I will stand by you to help (and to make wise cracks)

cheers

chad

Hey Chad, nice pics, you can't even see the screwdriver hole in the door panel... :leaving

All I can say is "Offer us something to break, and we will come!" :thumbs:thumbs:thumbs

Hey Chad, nice pics, you can't even see the screwdriver hole in the door panel... :leaving

Sureyou can. Its right there.

All I can say is "Offer us something to break, and we will come!" :thumbs:thumbs:thumbs

:agree And he's not joking! We'd be willing to lend some hands on a Corvette Sunday. Mine are relatively small girlie hands.... :yesnod

Chad, believe me when I say your little write up is another good reason for me to be perfectly happy with my multi colored red interior. Several thousand bucks? Not in my wallet! :eek

M~

I have rewired my Jeep before. I'd be glad to lend a hand. Have soldering iron and heat gun, will travel.

Guest UVETTYA

I'm willing to help. I've been an electronics/electro-mechanical tech for 40+ yrs and I got wired every day in the 60's and 70's. :leaving

I have small hands as Eddie pointed out, but everything else is really HUGE! :yesnod Including my ego. :lol

Check the calendar and pick a date and let's see how many we can get together. I'm kinda partial to bar-b-que ribs and chicken myself. :thumbs

I have small hands as Eddie pointed out, but everything else is really HUGE! :yesnod Including my ego. :lol

jias.gif I guess things would seem bigger with small hands....... wow.gif JK.... Who loves ya' baby......

burger.gif Ribs sounds good to us too...... ok.gif

When the fun start?????

Andrew

PS. Steve, the checks in the mail......

I'd love to help as well. Been a while since I did any wiring (although most of my wiring experience in on aircraft).

Give us a date and we'll all see who can make it over.