NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Question About A Capacitor For Stereos

Togo

what makes a $100 capacitor better than a $20 capacitor besides the name on the pacakge (as i know now even rockford stuff is made overseas!)

what is the difference between 1.0 Farad, 1.5 Farad, and 2.0 Farad

what exactly does a capacitor do?

what will it gain me?

will it have negative, positive, or neutral effect on the charging system / battery? (no pun intended)

anything else i should know.

reason i ask is that i have a gift card at Frys electronics and they hae a 1.5 Farad Cap (with blue neon light) for $19.99

that's kinda odd - so it turns D/C into A/C -

so on to the other questions - one brand better than the other? $100 vs. $20?

since there is no real electronics in a CAP - and my best guess is that most if not all of the CAPS are made in china, is there any reason that my system will suffer/ gain with a $20 CAP?

the new caps for cars have higher quality conpontents (sp) and do not explode when shorted out (ooze yes, but go boom no).

the audio caps need to be polar. many pc board parts are non polar. ( I might have that backwards?)

100w to 1000w = 1 Ph

2000w to 2500w =1.5 ph

2500w and up = 3ph and more.

do you want to put $400+ of stereo amps at risk by using a $20 part?

you do not need a digital display.. they are for teh gay.

no effect for the charging system. It will benfit the battery.

A capacitor stores electrical energy. It is sort of like a battery in that sense. What it does for an amp is provide it an electrical buffer so the amp can draw quick surges of electricity for pounding subs while avoiding power dips.

I have a source for wholesale audio equipment. They don't carry everything, but they do monster cable, phoenix gold, sony, and others. Let me know if you or anyone on the forum wants me to price anything.

David

Guest Steve Mulvey

Go to Fry's and buy a capacitor there. They are prety inexpensive and as someone has pointed out , they are kind of like a battery. In an auto application, you are using the capacitor to reduce or eliminate ignition noise. Noise is caused by voltage spikes on the 12 dc line into the radio and the cap absorbs them. Don't waste $100 on a cap, it should be about $2-. I believe if you ask for a noise suppressor for a radio (they have a component section for ham radios and stereos) , you will get what you need...

Steve

Go to Fry's and buy a capacitor there. They are prety inexpensive and as someone has pointed out , they are kind of like a battery. In an auto application, you are using the capacitor to reduce or eliminate ignition noise. Noise is caused by voltage spikes on the 12 dc line into the radio and the cap absorbs them. Don't waste $100 on a cap, it should be about $2-. I believe if you ask for a noise suppressor for a radio (they have a component section for ham radios and stereos) , you will get what you need...

Steve

Steve you are mistaken my friend.

yes you can use a Cap in line with a radio to reduce Alternator whine (caused by poor grounding, and a non isolated alternator).

However the Large scale 1 Ph (farad) cap we are talking about is for high performance audio equipment. It is a quick release (and recharge) of voltage when the amplifiers need it.

cheers

chad

Guest Steve Mulvey

Steve

Steve you are mistaken my friend.

yes you can use a Cap in line with a radio to reduce Alternator whine (caused by poor grounding, and a non isolated alternator).

However the Large scale 1 Ph (farad) cap we are talking about is for high performance audio equipment. It is a quick release (and recharge) of voltage when the amplifiers need it.

cheers

chad

Amplifiers? In a Corvette? I only have one speaker.... Ah, A misunderstanding on my part, you are of course correct...

Amplifiers? In a Corvette? I only have one speaker.... Ah, A misunderstanding on my part, you are of course correct...