NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Photo Radar Going Away

ICULUKN

09:16 AM Mountain Standard Time on Wednesday, October 4, 2006

Even though the Loop 101 camera are about to be shut off, speeders in Scottsdale will still be under supervision.

The Scottsdale City Council voted unanimously yesterday to keep the speed monitors on the Loop 101. The cameras, however, will be turned off on Oct. 23.

City officials will use the data collected by the remaining speed sensors to analyze the impact the project has had on speeding.

A decision on whether to keep the cameras will not be made until January, a year after the program launched.

Since going in, the speed cameras have snapped as many as 200,000 drivers.

:devil So lemme get this straight, as of Oct. 24 they are just monitoring the speed data? So, certain smart-ass individuals will be able to "post" whatever speed they dare in defiance of Big Brothers' unblinking eye without repercussion and with possible infamy? :huh

Wonder what the top speed "posted" will be?

Top Speed... I figured out if you go more than 180... the sensors are not fast enough to pick you up. It is not radar based, but time based..

The down side of the speeds increasing once the cameras are shut off is that with the continued monitiring Scottsdale will have the proof they need to fire up the camras again

The down side of the speeds increasing once the cameras are shut off is that with the continued monitiring Scottsdale will have the proof they need to fire up the camras again

:agree

Fortunately I very rarely am on that stretch of road anyway.

:agree Couldn't agree more. I will guarantee you part of Scottsdale's argument to keep the cameras will be the public's reaction to them being shut off.

I have seen so many near-accidents because of people nailing brakes when somebody gets their picture taken. I think that they create more danger than they solve by reducing speeds.

:2cents

Guest Kens06
I have seen so many near-accidents because of people nailing brakes when somebody gets their picture taken. I think that they create more danger than they solve by reducing speeds.

:2cents

I travel that strip every day and while the 4:30AM is more of a 'slow down to 70 or below' for the camera at Shea, hammer on it for mile to Cactus, then you are smokin' till the Hayden bridge!!

The trip home is another story!!

Everyone can see the camera's coming down the hill @ the FLW on-ramp and don't just take their foot off the gas and coast?? They use the brake as a speed control, so everyone sees the brake lights and you are playing bump draft with the car in front of you as they have pre-Shea parking lot visions!!??

That six mile strip is a hazard to the ebb and flow of normal traffic!

Glenn, the only one you could even try at 180 is FLW!

Come thru Scottsdale Rd camera (east to the south loop) at 70.

Better yet, start on the Scottsdale road entrance ramp and GO!

Start rolling the throttle thru Hayden and Pima to 140 or so thru the curve and then smoke it down the hill thru the lights!!

My car has a 90 day temp tag behind a tinted back window :crazy

Ken

ken... my car traps 150 in the 1/4... so I dont know how much more room I will need to get to 180.. I am thinking less than 1 mile since I will be doing 70 going through the first camera..

You know since I am posting this here... I cannot do it..

There is more to this, than what is posted in the paper.

..ill take a bet that sever Powerful/Rich people got popped several times and could not Lawyer up to get out of the ticket.

Are the speed cameras too good?

No matter how much money you have, a suspended License is not fun.

... or after people learned how to integrate the cameras into there driving style not as many "flashes" occurred. Meaning less money.

Did Scottsdale make more money using DPS and under cover cars?

There is more to this, than what is posted in the paper.

..ill take a bet that sever Powerful/Rich people got popped several times and could not Lawyer up to get out of the ticket.

Are the speed cameras too good?

No matter how much money you have, a suspended License is not fun.

... or after people learned how to integrate the cameras into there driving style not as many "flashes" occurred. Meaning less money.

Did Scottsdale make more money using DPS and under cover cars?

I think these are all good thoughts however when the program was initiated the state set a time frame for the "test". They gave Scottsdale 9mos I believe and then the State will decide what the results are. Since it's a state highway DOT has final approval.

If anyone is really interested in fighting this I would suggest you write a letter to the AZ Dept of Transportation and BTW don't mention you're a Vette owner. I don't think that would sway their opinion :lol

Guest XLR8TNC5

Or maybe, the response to the cameras and the volume of its effects on their adminsitrative and record keeping, serving, and all out procesing fees are far outweighing their budgeted expectations and they are actually LOSING money faster than they are capable of gathering it from the so called, "offenders." Im with Dave on this one though. I agree with his statement.

Just a thought.

Lata all.

Or maybe, the response to the cameras and the volume of its effects on their adminsitrative and record keeping, serving, and all out procesing fees are far outweighing their budgeted expectations and they are actually LOSING money faster than they are capable of gathering it from the so called, "offenders." Im with Dave on this one though. I agree with his statement.

Just a thought.

Lata all.

good point - like that gal that had been "tagged" 67 times - how many times does someone have to ignore a ticket before they become the hunted?

Just a thought.

Scottsdale really doesn't even have any incresed load. The camera company does all the work, right down to mailing the "PRERFORMANCE CERTIFICATE". They just say "show me the money". The only time Scotsdale has increased cost is when somebody goes to court & the records are showing that very few do. Most just pay the fine.

BTW... According to RadarDetector.net Arizona law says you must be served IN PERSON, including traffic violations. Supposedly the thing to do is throw them away.

BTW... According to RadarDetector.net Arizona law says you must be served IN PERSON, including traffic violations. Supposedly the thing to do is throw them away.

I can tell you Scottsdale for one and I understand most other local agencies have gone to personal service if you don't answer the first summons. When they do that you get socked for the process servers fee in addition to the fine. Just to dispell an Urban Myth.

Guest Kens06

Oh, they will eventually try to serve you, but they are so backed up it takes time!!

If you are served, you pay a fee for that also!!

A strange car pulled up in front of the house and since she has a camera system setup, could see the person at the door! This was 6 mo after the 'flash of light' and I guess the server was new because he had the summons in hand!! She had just read in The Republic about the serving being stepped up a day or so before!!

She didn't answer the door and 'the evil one' left!

However he did try at least two more times driving different cars etc.

They must get paid piecework to try that hard over a speeding ticket!!

Nothing ever came of the ticket, her license is still clean!!

Ken