How do I....?

Azmotorhead

Azmotorhead

Remove hard water spots from glass??

My New GMC has horrid water spots on all the glass. Thanks to lot washers. :devil10:

I purchased some auto glass polish which was supposed to correct light blemishes and scratches and contaminants on the glass.

I should have tried it on some old glass first. just about ruined my windows on my new truck.

Anyhow whats best to use?

An abrasive polish or cutting compound with a foam pad should do the trick.

Start with something like a Meguires 205. If that doesn't work, try a 105.

Not sure if this will work or not but back in the day when I was working for my pappy we used vinager and water mix to clean windows. Seemed to work pretty well. I'm not a detailer sooooo......not sure if it will work on hard spots.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Sometimes polishes and compounds just dont do the trick. You need something that will actually eat at the minerals that are baked into the surface and since a compound or polish can't always get deep enough to get all the minerals...thats when its time for a water spot remover.

First choice..which is a bit more mild (but still very effective) is called CarPro Spotless. Its actually a non acidic water spot remover. It would be what id try first.

If that doesnt work - go with Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover. We just removed 3 month old sprinkler water spots from a SEMA Challenger (damn shop left it sitting outside while not working on it). It DOES take some time if the spots are old, but it removed them.

Wash your car, use a microfiber or sponge (soft/new) to spread/work in the water spot remover...then allow it to sit a couple of minutes so it can do its thing. Then WASH (not just rinse) the water spot remover off and then rinse. Inspect and repeat if needed. Do 2x2' sections at a time - in the shade and you will be golden.

Guest badbobs95

All good suggestions. Lastly, Seal your windows with Rejex, Liquid Glass or any other synthetic polymer sealer and your glass will repel just about anything mother nature throws at it. If you do this beware, you won't be able to put any stickers on the glass. They won't stick! :boobies::boobies::boobies:

Not sure if this will work or not but back in the day when I was working for my pappy we used vinager and water mix to clean windows. Seemed to work pretty well. I'm not a detailer sooooo......not sure if it will work on hard spots.

^^^ this is what I have used. For stuck-on hard water deposits on glass, soak a towel in white vinegar, and put the wet towel over the spots for about 10 minutes or so, then clean the glass with a water/vinegar mixture. GLASS only, not for paint!

• 11 months later...
ebalentine

Looks like my clear bra has some wax/polish build up around the edges, how do I remove this white stuff around the edges?