Hand Signal Etiquette

Dianne

Hand Signals and Other Greetings

by Barbara Spear

copyright 1990 Barbara Spear

(originally published in Keepin Track of Vettes magazine, May 1990)

Driving a Corvette is a very social experience. It's important to know the correct rules of greeting etiquette so that you can properly communicate with other Vette drivers you meet on the road

When I first began driving my Corvette, I was ignorant of the standard etiquette and undoubtedly behaved like an effete impudent snob. My apologies to the other Vette owners who passed me during this period.

Eventually, I learned that it is considered polite and proper to acknowledge and greet other Vette owners. I also learned that there are a number of unwritten rules which apply to such greetings -- and that most Vette owners develop a personal style for complying with these social niceties.

In general, when two Vettes pass one another on a roadway, the two drivers acknowledge each other. This not only signals that the two drivers are alert and able to distinguish Corvettes from the milieu of common cars on the road, but also reminds each driver that he or she belongs to a select group of individuals who have excellent taste in automobiles.

Jeep CJ owners participate in a similar social practice by flashing their lights to greet one another. Since the design of most Corvettes doesn't lend itself to this type of greeting, Vette drivers employ more unique salutations.

In most cases, Vette drivers wave to one another. At first, I employed a nice hearty wave. But I soon learned that this was considered gauche. To show refinement, most drivers simply grasp the steering wheel with one had near the top and casually raise the fingers of that hand to wave. Very cool!

Summer driving means open windows and tops down. Many Vette drivers rest their left arm on the top of the door, or hold onto the roof. In either case, a very classy, subtle wave can be executed by simply flexing the fingers of the exposed hand. This gesture probably goes unnoticed by the majority of common car drivers, but is quickly spotted by eagle-eyed Vette drivers.

A few drivers who like audio reinforcement toot their horns to say hello to other Vettes they pass. This is acceptable, but risky. After all, when I'm driving along, my radio is usually cranked up to such a volume that I usually can't hear the horn beep. I could feel snubbed by a driver who only toots. If you enjoy tooting your horn, it's a good idea to couple that with a slight wave -- and be sure of recognition.

Convertible drivers are generally an enthusiastic group. I've passed other convertibles on the highway and seen both the driver and passenger flailing their arms to catch my attention across six lanes. A little dangerous at highway speeds, but nonetheless, the greeting was appreciated and returned in kind. (I never said I wasn't a little dangerous -- after all, I drive a Corvette!)

Many Vette owners selectively greet others. Since I drive a 70's vintage Vette, I've been snubbed by 60's drivers as well as 80's drivers. At first I was deeply hurt and offended. Later I saw a practical reason for some selectivity of my own.

After a couple of embarrassing waves at Fieros and Camaros, I decided to wait for a hand signal from an 80's vintage driver before responding in kind. It has saved me from countless strange looks. Now if I could just remember not to wave at Vettes when I'm driving my Cherokee, I'd probably eliminate the rest of the strange looks I get.

One final note. Non-Corvette drivers occasionally signal a greeting when a Corvette passes them. The unusual hand signal they employ is definitely not one of the acceptable standards. It should not be acknowledged -- let alone returned in kind.

Guest Kens06

[in most cases, Vette drivers wave to one another. At first, I employed a nice hearty wave. But I soon learnd that this was considered gauche. To show refinement, most drivers simply grasp the steering wheel with one had near the top and casually raise the fingers of that hand to wave. Very cool!]

Dianne,

Have I really witnessed the first time the word "GAUCHE" used on a Corvette Forum?? :eek:eek

The square table needs to convene and vote on the acceptability of the 'foreign word' but Chad can't vote!!

NOW THAT"S FUNNY!! :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

Ken

BTW, Old timers like me have always waved out the window!!

The newvo Vette owners couldn't muss their hair to open the window and WAVE!!

If you are open air, and we are getting into that season, wave like crazy and get the fashion back in vogue!!

Did I just say that?????

OK Dianne. shoot me in the parking lot!! :lol:lol

[in most cases, Vette drivers wave to one another. At first, I employed a nice hearty wave. But I soon learnd that this was considered gauche. To show refinement, most drivers simply grasp the steering wheel with one had near the top and casually raise the fingers of that hand to wave. Very cool!]

Dianne,

Have I really witnessed the first time the word "GAUCHE" used on a Corvette Forum?? :eek:eek

The square table needs to convene and vote on the acceptability of the 'foreign word' but Chad can't vote!!

NOW THAT"S FUNNY!! :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

Ken

BTW, Old timers like me have always waved out the window!!

The newvo Vette owners couldn't muss their hair to open the window and WAVE!!

If you are open air, and we are getting into that season, wave like crazy and get the fashion back in vogue!!

Did I just say that?????

OK Dianne. shoot me in the parking lot!! :lol:lol

No way you can drive a T-top car without mussin' up your hair...and that's the way I like it!!!

BTW, it's in the Corvette Ten Commandments...

corvette20commandments20II.jpg

Red Corvette...Top off...hair blowing in the wind...what else is there? Oh Yeah! The Ten Commandments. Those were great.

Dianne

this one is for you Ken

21827093469b9a497e0501bf058b0eb9126.jpg

With all my heart.

..and my foot :devil

GAUCHE and VOGUE in the same post.... we must have caught Ken in a sober moment! :lol

It's kinda funny top up I do the finger lift off the wheel but top down I tend to use the full wave over the windshield. :howdy

Guest Kens06

this one is for you Ken

21827093469b9a497e0501bf058b0eb9126.jpg

With all my heart.

..and my foot :devil

Come on Bro!!

I'm just f-n with ya!!

Had to pick on someone that could take the shot!! :cheers:lol:thumbs

Ken

I'm just f-n with ya!!

Had to pick on someone that could take the shot!! :cheers:lol:thumbs

Ken

as am I my friend

.... as am I

:thumbs :D :thumbs

Guest XLR8TNC5

Oh yeah Diane. I am with you! I love to have my top off and my hair blowing in the wind. Of course, mine is just a targa (which is 100% fine by me) as it still gets the wind when I have it off.

I have never seen the 10 commandments for the Vette. that rocks! :lol

:howdy

I hope the Z doesn't become a targa soon. The dealer STILL hasn't received my new roof panel. So far its hanging in there. I guess its more important to put the panels on the cars coming off the line than to take care of a customer that has purchased 3 brand new vettes from your company. Shameful GM.

coconut girl

Yea the wind blowing through your hair.

I am afraid though, that I am breaking commandment number V. and VIII. I live on a dirt road (.5 mile) and as we speak I do not have a garage. But that will soon change. Looking for a steel building to buy.

Save the wave! :howdy