NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Clutch Pedal To The Floor With No Engagement

quadracr

Took off this morning and the clutch felt funny. Engaging at different points. didn't really notice a pattern or anything. On the way home, same thing. However I started playing with it on the 101. I found out that when I pushed it in gradually it would go to the floor with no effect on the clutch. When I pushed it in hard the clutch would disengage.

When I got home I checked the fluid level and it was way down, but there was still some in the master cylinder.

I think the master cylinder is bad, I'm going to try and bleed it Saturday morning. I'm not too hopefull. Do they have these things at AutoZone and are they any good?

This is a common problem with the c5

You have boiled the fluid (I am sure your fluid is black as night) and it has lost its viscosity.

... this is the fix.

1. change your slave cylinder with a z06's and do the 'drill mod'

* the drill mod is enlarging the opening to the slave allowing more fluid to pass. With more fluid passing, it will not heat up as much due to friction

2. remove the spring from your clutch pedal. There is a 'helper' spring on your clutch pedal to help 'girly men and women' drive the car.

3. replace fluid with hi-temp MOTUL fluid. This will prevent boiling.

Guest Chad@AZPS

Also recommend wrapping the line with some sort of heat wrap to keep exhaust heat from the manifolds out of the clutch line.

Chad

Guest UVETTYA

Go to your friendly local stealership and get some GM Hydraulic Clutch Fluid (GM P/N: 12345347, $8.00 for a pint bottle) and start by changing your clutch fluid. It's probably black and should be almost clear. Don't use Dot 4 or Prestone synthetic - trust me - buy the GM stuff.

Use a turkey baster and suck the old stuff out, and fill to the line inside the cup with fresh fluid. Don't get any on your paint!

After changing the fluid, get in and pump the pedal a dozen or so times and then check to see if it's changed color again. If it has, (which it probably will considering the problem you're having) change it again and repeat that proceedure until it's clear.

Then check it every week or so for discloration and change it as soon as you notice any discoloration.

I do this regularly myself. This will keep your clutch from sticking and prolong it's life. It only takes a few minutes and a few bucks and is cheap insurance for your clutch. :thumbs

Man you guys are awesome, what great desciptions. :thumbs

:agree But unfortunately, Tracy has a C4! :lol Looks like he was gonna give it try: Thread

:leaving

Man you guys are awesome, what great desciptions. :thumbs

:agree But unfortunately, Tracy has a C4! :lol Looks like he was gonna give it try: Thread

:leaving

Thanks Mo for settin' them straight :D However when I step up to the C5 I will be doing all of these things. Between you and my neighbor with the C5 droptop, I'm thinking that'll be my next one.