NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

SBC 400 build poss. used by Mike Meiser?

shua1269

Hi all, I'm looking for a little more information if possible. I had an engine guy come over and look at what I had gotten from my buddy who didn't know what he had either. I'm planning on building the motor for my '74 stingray.

It's an odd story, the engine guy came over and looked at what I have.

-Callies Stealth Crank 3.750 stroke that I had gotten, Measurements suggest from a 383 build and he said it had work done to it and had an M&M marked on it(He is assuming Mike Meiser not sure how to spell his name) but suspected the crank came out of a Dirt Modified.

-Now onto the block, it's a SB400 casting #509, bored .040 over and had heavy machining done that he usually sees in stock and drag cars.

-The pistons I got are .040 over SRP flat top pistons that appear to never have been used.

-Also have a set of SRP 5.7" rods.

Does anyone on here know of Mike Meiser? The only thing I can find is a Mike Meiser in Oregon that races Dirt Wing Sprint Cars. Can't find anything more about it.

Also, with what I have, what direction should I go with this motor? I want a street/strip motor with lots of Torque.

Thanks in Advance!

I also added a few pictures.

post-2285-0-30005600-1390686786_thumb.jp

post-2285-0-56307600-1390686801_thumb.jp

post-2285-0-60648700-1390686825_thumb.jp

post-2285-0-59601300-1390686833_thumb.jp

post-2285-0-50232100-1390686844_thumb.jp

post-2285-0-79357800-1390686854_thumb.jp

Doug Bromley may be able to help when he sees this thread, or maybe Elliot's builder in Tucson.... I'm no expert but if the crank was machined for sprint then it was probably lightened for fast rev and more HP. Neither are good if you want torque...

Thanks DesertDawg, I'll have to find out about the crank situation. and LastC3, I Don't have heads, intake, cam or carb yet.

Hi.

If the crankshaft was intended for a 383 build then it has a smaller main bearing journal than a 400 block. They make a spacer to make up the difference. The red paint mark makes me think it was going to be drilled for balancing there but that is just a guess. You will need to make sure the pistons are correct for a 5.7 rod with a 3.750 stroke. I would not use any of this without having it checked for balance and balanced if needed. That said, these are very good parts.

The block was a two bolt main block that was machined for four bolt splayed caps, this is stronger than a factory four bolt block. Also studded I noticed.

This can make a great motor, but the heads and camshaft choice dictate how much horsepower it will make. And your budget. If it was me a 210-220 head 9.5 compression (pump gas with the right timing) roller cam 240 degrees at .050 with around .540 lift. and a 850 Holley on whatever intake fits under your hood.

Hi.

If the crankshaft was intended for a 383 build then it has a smaller main bearing journal than a 400 block. They make a spacer to make up the difference. The red paint mark makes me think it was going to be drilled for balancing there but that is just a guess. You will need to make sure the pistons are correct for a 5.7 rod with a 3.750 stroke. I would not use any of this without having it checked for balance and balanced if needed. That said, these are very good parts.

The block was a two bolt main block that was machined for four bolt splayed caps, this is stronger than a factory four bolt block. Also studded I noticed.

This can make a great motor, but the heads and camshaft choice dictate how much horsepower it will make. And your budget. If it was me a 210-220 head 9.5 compression (pump gas with the right timing) roller cam 240 degrees at .050 with around .540 lift. and a 850 Holley on whatever intake fits under your hood.

Thanks! That's some great info. I was definitely going to get it checked out by a machinist and get it all balanced. I appreciate your help and info!