NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Magnaflow 14239 vs 13239

Jon

I'm about to put some mufflers in my C6. My question is how does the straight through 14239 sound versus the 3 chamber XL 13239? They are both 3" in/out. I have longtube tri-y headers with an x-pipe and no cats. Right now I have factory Z06 mufflers with the flaps open all the time and it drones horribly 1300-1700rpm. The other important aspect is that it needs to be able to flow enough to not hurt me since I put down 754rwhp.

Cost varies a bit too:

14239 $125 13239 $65

This is a clip of the 3 chamber XL's with longtubes, x-pipe, and no cats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swZltkQvf1g

I also found this on the interwebz:

Thanks for your interest in Magnaflow products! I just wanted to briefly address your questions regarding our muffler systems; the chambered style XL mufflers will indeed be louder than our straight through universal style. It sounds like the universals will best fit what you are looking to use for your build. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions!

Best Regards,

Magnaflow Tech Line

One of the mufflers uses absorption principles to cancel noise, and the other uses reflection principles to cancel noise. The most popular absorption style mufflers are probably Magnaflow and Borla. Essentially sound energy is absorbed as the exhaust gases expand within the muffler chamber, dissipating energy. These mufflers usually have a perforated center core surrounded by fiberglass or rock wool. Reflection style mufflers use a set of baffles and chambers to direct exhaust energy towards itself, Additionally, they can use one or more Helmholtz resonators to tune the exhaust note and/or generate a particular exhaust tone. Flowmaster is by far the most popular style using this method of dissipating exhaust energy. Both of these designs are less restrictive than other means of dissipating exhaust energy and reducing noise. From there, it just becomes a matter of exhaust note preference. No idea about drone, though. I believe that based on both of these designs, there will be drone.

I would say the noise cancellation/reflection type, 13329. But, it would all depend on the resonant frequencies it generates. They are both relatively small, which is needed for packaging and placement in the car, but that can lead to the drone.

I think I read somewhere on the big board that people were having success mitigating the drone with sound batting like dynamat in the back portion of the car. May be worth a look-see. Even with the additional labor and cost (provided you do the dynamat install yourself), you would still be money ahead versus paying the crazy assed price for an off the shelf axle-back system from B&B or the like.

The team that Joe works with next door knows exhaust and should not have any issues getting a properly sized muffler installed back there for a competitive price.

I like how your car sounds Drew. Your turbos also act as mufflers though. Although I may be having that issue as well next year...

I like how your car sounds Drew. Your turbos also act as mufflers though. Although I may be having that issue as well next year...

I'll just sell you my car and you'll save about $70k in mods that I know you'll end up buying.