NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

"Service Column"

Shifty

Does your car still make the noise when the key is put in indicating the pin for the column lock still is moving? Previous owner may have just had the dealer put the updated unit in. Not trying to hock out business but I have a bypass module on the shelf at the shop.

Does your car still make the noise when the key is put in indicating the pin for the column lock still is moving? Previous owner may have just had the dealer put the updated unit in. Not trying to hock out business but I have a bypass module on the shelf at the shop.

I would hazard a guess that he did a dealer-fix, as he took it to teh dealer for everything, including oil-changes. It gave me teh pull key, wait 10 seconds message. I did, and it locked teh wheel. I shut it off again, and re-started, and teh wheel was unlocked, but teh "service column" message was still there. I get it, I need to do teh aftermarket kit. :bang

It's my belief that it's teh battery. Optima 38 months old, just out of warranty.

Tonight, I came home after work, and Mrs.'Shifter was in teh middle of teh garage changing a light bulb, so I couldn't pull it in. I got out, helped her finish up, and went to pull back in, and it was locked! I did teh pull key and wait 10 seconds thing a couple times, then said eff-it, went in and ate supper. I came back out and tried again, still locked. Mrs.'Shifter suggested disconnecting teh battery for a few seconds, and try again. It worked! If it was mechanically locked, it wouldn't have unlocked, right?

Trust me,get the bypass kit. Mine acted the same way as yours is.The bypass kit drives the motor(pin) out of the way,then the leave in module keeps the puter happy. Did it to my 01,no more issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I put a new Optima in last weekend, and it still had teh message, and locked. I pulled teh key and waited 10 seconds, and it hasn't locked since....but how can I trust it.... :huh

Ever since I went to an acid battery and dumped the AGM style, I've had better cranking and no messages. I don't believe they are a good you're off battery for the C5.

You can't trust it. I have a yeller top in mine and its been there for over about 2 years. I also have the column lock bypass and have no issues or worries since I installed it 6 years ago. Get the clb and never worry about it again.

I took it for a decent drive yesterday (without shutting it off), with no issues, but yeah...gotta either buy teh clb, or a for sale sign...

• 1 month later...