AZ Power Shootout, Who Would Be Interested?

Guest AZ Power & Sound

Guest AZ Power & Sound

Well since a lot of the larger companies have put on shootouts in vegas, texas, east coast, cali etc... I think its time AZ had one. If I put together a large (5,000+ people) with HIGH payouts for places in the main event, then pretty decent payouts for the other events, would you guys race? Were talking with a radio station, a track, and a buncha sponsors that would basically make it like a woodstock style event starting fridya night then going all weekend till sunday afternoon with midnight drags etc, and vendors selling stuff such as Comp, Yank etc. There would also be a stage with live music from name bands (no crap stuff you have never heard of). I think AZ has put in its dues and needs to become recognized as a power player nationally. This event wouldnt be till early next year at soonest as it will be a national event so I need to make sure people can take time off work. Im sure entry fees will be $25-30 for racing, and about the same for show, but it will be an all ages event, alcohol will be served, and with the live music and vendor booths it will be fun even if youre not racing.

Let me know your thoughts, or what would make you come for sure!

Guest AZ Power & Sound
would NHRA tech be needed to run?

Im in for both show and race....

Great idea guys

This would have NHRA rules as most of the guys running these classes will be watching their competition like a hawk looking for reasons to get them disqualified!

Im entertaining the idea of street drags at night after the qualifying though which wont have boards lit up... they might be a little more lenient then!

Lastly to make things more fair for you guys all street legal, I might try to talk a general maintenence shop like ADS or another to bring an emissions tester so we can have a true Street Car class, and part of qualification is passing an emissions sniffer!

Guest Sidewinder

If it is local, I would love to do this. I plan to get my car out on the track here within the next month or so, Just been waiting to get the temps cooler so I can get good times.

I definitely would like to do this.

TANYA

P.S. Where is the delete key to delete my post WHEN I accidentally post under Mark's login and want to delete it and then relogin to my account and post the post? I didn't know I was under his login when I posted this. But yes, TANYA'S CAR and TANYA would like to do this event. As far as Mark's car, Im not sure if he would do it or not. Gotta see.

and part of qualification is passing an emissions sniffer!

Ooops ... count me out.

I'm in the same boat, I don't have to pass emmisions, so mine isn't compliant, (or very fast :ack )

Well this sounds like fun but my Vette and my Pontiac don't have cats so I can't race.

So your talking about sponsoring an event that i can't join into?

Then regarding the street drags, keep the scoreboards on so we can record data and make time runs.

Speedworld..?

Or..

Firebird...?

Sounds like a great idea. I would be a watcher too. My car does not have to have emissions where I live either. (not so fast either)

I'm in but mine just stock maybe just the show part if I can get the Paint cleaned up.....oh wait mines stock.....no exhaust...............

I just need a retune and stickies. :thumbs

Is this a heads up, Bracket? Reason I am asking is I know someone that has a 1,200+ HP Skyline that would show up. I do not desire to run against it on the dragstrip headsup..

I was with them last Friday night at Firechicken. A beater Teg of theirs ran almost 11 even at 133mph. It is not even close to the caliber that the Skyline is. :D

:agree Bracket racing is much better then watching the fastest car whoop up on everyone.

I agree too. When we did the track day last November a lot of people had fun because of the bracket racing. It brought it down to skill (and traction) instead of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Get rid of the emissions required idea.

Do one day of heads up by class (C5 stock, C5 NO2/Blower, C4 stock, C4 NO2/Blower) and so on. Then do a day of bracket racing for all.

Bracket racing is not for everyone....

The bottom line is that heads up racing is about $..

if you want to bracket race, I can bring my honda and kick all your arses.

AWD and 160 HP (flywheel) through an auto. Is truely a force to be challenged in bracket racing.

The track prep at Firebird (Slip and Slide of the NHRA) and speedworld is marginal at best. High horsepower cars are not consistant without a crap load of track prep. So if this is going to be a bracket racing event, dont count on seeing Blackula.. The money is on my lunchbox.

When I was a member of the Cobra Club I attended a “Run & Gun” that I believe was sponsored by Kit Car Magazine. Had a great time and there were Cobra manufacturers and aftermarket suppliers on hand to ask questions of and buy from. All in all was a lot of fun and would have attended more if I kept the car. I would be interested in attending the “shootout” but not do any racing. If a car show were incorporated I would very interested in that.

Sounds like a good idea but when could this happen. Also, it seems like a lot of cars don't have to pass emminssions where they live, mine included. To be honest, I think a smaller event hosted by AZPS would be way better. You could have cash prizes and what not. As soon as a lot of money get's involved people start to cheat and it's not fun anymore. This is just my two cents.

Guest AZ Power & Sound
and part of qualification is passing an emissions sniffer!

Ooops ... count me out.

The emissions sniffer is just for one class... A lot of the street class guys complain if everyone isnt truely legal! 90% of our customers dont run cats so it wouldnt be fair to have the entire event that way!

I just need a retune and stickies. :thumbs

Is this a heads up, Bracket? Reason I am asking is I know someone that has a 1,200+ HP Skyline that would show up. I do not desire to run against it on the dragstrip headsup..

I was with them last Friday night at Firechicken. A beater Teg of theirs ran almost 11 even at 133mph. It is not even close to the caliber that the Skyline is. :D

the heads up class would basically be for only cars in that category... its a high paying class that im expecting a lot of 7 and 8 second cars to run in including guys like your skyline friend, Ryan Woon, Turbo Dave etc

:agree Bracket racing is much better then watching the fastest car whoop up on everyone.

the entire event will be bracket racing other then the heads up class

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Bracket racing is not for everyone....

The bottom line is that heads up racing is about $..

if you want to bracket race, I can bring my honda and kick all your arses.

AWD and 160 HP (flywheel) through an auto. Is truely a force to be challenged in bracket racing.

The track prep at Firebird (Slip and Slide of the NHRA) and speedworld is marginal at best. High horsepower cars are not consistant without a crap load of track prep. So if this is going to be a bracket racing event, dont count on seeing Blackula.. The money is on my lunchbox.

Thats the fun of heads up, its a run what you brung and whoever brought the most wins :) Track prep will be awesome here as they are promising VHT and heating the track with a torch to keep holeshots at a max... and with the lack of slower and inexperienced cars the track should stay sticky! There will be 3 days of racing so im hoping for a good amount of classes that way its fair and fun for everyone, and the heads up will be for the fastest of the fast... limitations like 11.5 max width tires, pump gas (yes C16 is pump gas, but this will keep the alcohol and nitro cars from showing), must run exhaust etc as this is the fun of a street car challenge!

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Sounds like a good idea but when could this happen. Also, it seems like a lot of cars don't have to pass emminssions where they live, mine included. To be honest, I think a smaller event hosted by AZPS would be way better. You could have cash prizes and what not. As soon as a lot of money get's involved people start to cheat and it's not fun anymore. This is just my two cents.

Its going to cost me $35,000 for the weekend just for the track, thats not counting the $25,000+ in payouts, booth setup, employees, entertainment etc. The show wouldnt be possible without a national showing as well as national sponsors or I would be out a lot of money...