engine swap Good or bad idea?

Lurch

I have the chance to get an 85 vette with a erbuitl eng and trans. I would like ot yank the eng and trans out and put it inmy 82. Will I be having issues with gauges and such. the 82 has a mechanical speedo so that is no problem. Any other problems other than taking all the ecm and wiring? Bottom line, GOOD IDEA OR BAD IDEA???

tHANKS FOR ANY AND ALL INPUTS OR IDEAS. LURCH

Well, my first question is how much are you going to pay for a C4 to get a motor? There's a lot of options out there to get a new motor in your vette, wether you look local or order on the Internet you can pick up a mail order motor with free shipping for less than 3 grand. http://www.jegs.com/p/Blueprint-Engines/Blueprint-Engines-SB-Chevy-w-Aluminum-Heads-355ci-375HP-400TQ/1197259/10002/-1

When you say "get an 85 Corvette", are you talking, really low-buck or free? If so, things should swap perfectly on teh mechanical end. Teh injection system is a whole 'nuther story. If you want to do it teh easy way, re-use your intake/injection system. If you feel like taking on a project, then teh TPI is a better system than teh Crossfire with all things being equal. If you do re-use your Crossfire, this is a really good time to swap to teh Bucs Renegade intake...

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corvette-renegade-performance-intake-manifold-crossfire-injection-1982-and-1984.html

'85 is $2000. eng is rebuilt to factory specs. The whole intake has been gone through including all new injectors. The trans has been gone through. The body is good but needs TLC and new paint. The interior needs to be redone. Has new BF Goodrich tires on '87 wheels. I figured that I would take the eng and trans out and sell the rest. My crossfire needs help. The Raptor manifold is not available right now. My eng has been rode hard and put away wet. I figured it was easier to swap then to pull and build a better than stock unit. I hope this answers some of the questions. HELP!

I could have sworn that teh Renegade was available again....

Anyhow, if you don't mind a project of ECM/sensor/harness change, $2k is right at that "should I?" mark for me...personally, I'd just rebuild my 82 motor, IMHO, teh 85 spec isn't aluminum heads/roller cam, so it's nothing special.