NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Moving to PRC 260cc LS3 Style Heads thanks to CPR

Cross

So Joe made me a killer deal on some brand new PRC 260cc LS3 Style heads 64cc Chambers so I should keep my 11.1:1 compression.

So the Ported LS6 Z06 Heads are off the car and tomorrow my brother will be going up to Joe's to pick up my new PRC Heads and Ported LS3 Intake Manifold.

Here's a progress pic, sorry I didn't use blue tape.

post-1193-0-46567500-1379998161_thumb.jp

Should wake that car up a bunch. those 243 heads were a choke point on that engine. I would have done LS3 heads but just flat ran out of money. As it was I sold half of what I owned to pay for it as it was....

Sorry its been one hell of a week, but today I should be able to get started on getting the heads on. I have everything I need now including the new LS2 TB.

Also here is a picture of the Cam... Poppa tell me what you were going for when you picked this cam.

Posted Image

Larry picked the cam. I told him I was more concerned with power under the curve and every day drive-ability than dyno chart power. I wanted a road racer, not a drag racer, and realistically, I wanted a fast street car, not a race car. I wanted lots of torque right now, always, all the time. And it gave me that. Truth be told I would have gone with a bigger cam, but those guys do that for a living, and are world renowned. I talked to them about a couple other cams, and they said that ya, we'd see an extra 20 hp way up top, but it would lose out everywhere else. Plus, the heads were a bit of a bottleneck, so it didn't need any more cam. It really didn't need that intake either, but I got a good deal on it and I like the design of the 102 better than the 92.

Why? You want a bigger cam? With those new heads, and your love of drag racing, a bigger cam might help.

No I just wanted to know why you picked this cam. I also don't like spinning everywhere as fun as it sounds tires aren't cheap. I don't need to be a Dyno Hero but with the new heads I am wondering what I should be thinking about. Trq is fun as is eating tires but I am wondering if I need to consider a change.

Not sure how a street race is all that different from a drag race. Point is to hook and go.

Drive it first with the new heads, race it for awhile. It should be a solid mid 10 car if driven well with that cam. I think people overcame street cars all the time. No reason to have a car that drives like crap for 20hp more a few times you hit the track, especially when most people are traction limited anyways.

I would be worried at my Compression level though with boost. But it would be interesting to see what a blower added to this motor would do.

ECS1500 would be the shizzle on that motor. The restrictor plate combined with a 3.25" blower pulley makes for a torque curve damn near like a TVS. On E85 you would probably be around 625/625 to 650/650.

Dammit I was supposed to be stopping to focus on my wide body rear fenders and PFADT Suspension... now I want to boost the car.

Street race vs sanctioned drag race, I agree, little difference. I'm not about racing though, just wanted lots of power everywhere so it will explode out of corners, and it does that. I liked the driving characteristics of that cam, I'd stick with that. Even with the bigger heads it will still perform. And being a stroker, it will always have that tire destroying torque. My next set was gonna be either road race tires or NT05R's.

Cross,

The cam you choose isn't that small to be honest. It's not huge but it's not small either. I had a few different cams in my 402 stroker. One was a little bigger than the cam you have at 244/244 .625 .625 @ 112 lsa (if memory serves correct) and the other was smaller at 228/232 .595 .609 @ 112 lsa (if memory serves correct). I also had ported LS6 heads (non milled) and both cams worked well. However, the fist cam was too big for my liking. It had a little too much surge for me so I went with the smaller cam. I lost some power with the smaller cam but it was worth it to me. With the specs on your cam card, it looks like you have 13º overlap. That's not too bad. I've seen cars with twice that lol. Moreover, for camparison sake, the cam in my C6 Z has 10º of overlap. I have a little bit of surging but nothing too crazy. I think your cam will make pretty good power. I'm thinking anywhere from 440-515rwhp on E-85. My 402 made 500rwhp/499rwhp (w/bigger cam) on 91 so your numbers should be close.

As far as the low end tq killing tires, that b.s to be honest. If you have DR's, you'll be more than fine. In my 02 Z06, (402 stroker w/150 shot) I was hooking in 1st gear on the 150 shot in PHX and that was with Nitto 305 30 18's 555R's, so I think you'll be more than fine if you go that route. Now street tires, that may be a different story. I'm running 335 BFG KDW's on my C6Z and I can hook "some-what" from a 2nd gear roll with a slight spin in 3rd. Of course, that's N/A. On the sauce, I can't hook to save my life lol. Bottom line, if you want a car with more power, you can except to run DR's.

Tony

My 1st cam in my z06 had 25 degrees of overlap. Sounded wicked, made tons of torque, and drove good. Some surge below 1500rpm but easy to live with.

Chris/Poppa picked this cam out and I am not in a huge rush to change it. I want to get the heads done and see if I can move past the 500RWHP range and right now all that is holding me back is the pedestals the rockers are here.

Hopefully this weekend the car will be done and then I should be ready for the 11th's Dyno Day with NicD and then the 12's meet at SIR. After that its the wedding, then the cruise, then Bondurant with some of you crazy folks should be one hell of a month!

My 1st cam in my z06 had 25 degrees of overlap. Sounded wicked, made tons of torque, and drove good. Some surge below 1500rpm but easy to live with.

Damn,

That's a lot of overlap lol. I bet it sounded sick!

Chris/Poppa picked this cam out and I am not in a huge rush to change it. I want to get the heads done and see if I can move past the 500RWHP range and right now all that is holding me back is the pedestals the rockers are here.

Hopefully this weekend the car will be done and then I should be ready for the 11th's Dyno Day with NicD and then the 12's meet at SIR. After that its the wedding, then the cruise, then Bondurant with some of you crazy folks should be one hell of a month!

With your set up, you should get there! Keep us posted!

Alright some progress now that my head no longer feel's like some construction group is going nuts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image