NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

wheel/tire combos.. . suggestions please

android

I purchased a 2002 C5 as a dedicated track car. Stripped, caged, built 442 c.i. engine, and countless hours of tire research... So, here is the dilema: 1. this car's main goal is to HAVE FUN. I am not trying to set lap records or come in first place; rather, it is just a big boy toy. 2. Buying $1,400 in tires each weekend is not in the budget. I was thinking a 17x10 rim on all 4 corners and running 315/35/17 Nitto NT01 approx $235/tire (needs mount and balance). Anyone running a tire that is "friendly" on the wallet and still on the sticky side? I am open to wheel sizes, too. Thank you! Andy

you do need a set XX% of tire size difference from the front to back or the ABS Traction control goes freakey.

..that is if they have not been taken out and gutted.

my 2 cts

1" taller in the rear than the front to make the traction control happy, but I would assume with a track car you will disable that anyway.

For a track car I would do factory C5Z wheels. they are light, strong fit perfect and are pretty cheap. If it's a track car light is all important. So you'll want to stay with the 17/18 combo unless you are doing C6Z brakes. If you can find a set of 2001 wheels, they are forged Alcoa wheels and would be preferred to the 02-04 spincast Speedline wheels. But though there is a difference it is marginal.

I have read that guys run 315's on all 4 corners, but that was autocross. I don't know, but would assume that at higher speeds of road racing, you will run into fitment issues, as well as a bit of oversteer with that much tire on the front. Talk to guys that do it, guys that know more than me, but that would be my inclination.

If you don't want factory wheels, I would recommend TSW wheels. they are also spincast and fairly light and strong. They have a few wheels that will fit the C5 nicely.

You might also look at the NT05 if you find the NT01's are wearing too quickly. I ran them on my car and found them to be pretty sticky for the first couple months (or x amount of heat cycles). After a certain amount of time they certainly lose some grip, but I would assume racing them you'll wear them fast enough that you won't much notice. Vette's are hard on race tires.

Thank you guys.

All ABS and Traction Control (and any other Nanny) will be Non-Existent.

I considered the NT05's but I have several reports of a greasy feel when hot/after 3 or 4 laps = no bueno.

I would consider a stagger set-up if I knew that I would save money. All of my research tells me that the larger the wheel is, then the tires are VERY expensive.

Thank you guys.

All ABS and Traction Control (and any other Nanny) will be Non-Existent.

I considered the NT05's but I have several reports of a greasy feel when hot/after 3 or 4 laps = no bueno.

I would consider a stagger set-up if I knew that I would save money. All of my research tells me that the larger the wheel is, then the tires are VERY expensive.

I have ran my nt05's for the last year. my thoughts

they take less than 2 laps to be as fast as they are going to get.

Once they have heat, if you are not over driving the car they will be good for a 20 minute session.

When I overdrive (which is often) the last lap or so of the 20 minutes is greasy, but very manageable.

driving on the street the car is twitchier with nt05's than my street tires

My tires are about 1.5 years old. They have given up, this is probably something like 8-10 track days

I have been looking for new tires, I think I am going to buy nt05's again

I would like to try nt01's but they are more $ don't last as long, and most likely will only be a second or so faster a lap.

If money were not an object I would buy r6's

• 2 weeks later...

When I overdrive (which is often)

I was watching you Sunday... You overdrive often. I love it!!!

and your Camaro is beautiful. I stopped by twice but you were not around.

I went with CCW classics 17x11. I will report back with performance info when the car is ready... 45 days, maybe. See you on the track!