NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Modified Badging

VetteSthetics

VetteSthetics

Well I wrote a whole thing on these badges but I lost it in cyber space. I will re write it tomorrow. In the mean time here is some pictures of the Mod Z06 badges I did last week.

Ok part two... So like I don’t have enough going on, I decided I needed to pull off my Z06 badging and tinker with getting them a little closer to the esthetics... get it... of the car.

Similar to the other Mods I have posted like painting the instrument cluster bezels, this is a mod anyone can take on.

Tools and supplies:

2 flat tip screw drivers

exacto knife

Dental scraper, optional (good for removing paint on these badges)

Shop cleaning brush (don't use your tooth brush Dawg!)

Gloves

Isopropyl alcohol

Shop rags

Painters or Automotive masking tape

2 sided 3M tape

Paint of your choice

First thing is to remove the badges. Mine was held on with 3M tape. You can remove them by using a small flat tip and prying one end loose so that you can pull the badge off by hand. You want to pry the badge using another screw driver for leverage on top of a micro fiber cloth. You will then push on the badge outwardly with the screw driver, think seesaw! This will aid you in not damaging the paint with your screw driver tip. I have seen techs put a few layer of tape on the tips of the drivers too for added protection.

Once the badges are off you can remove the remaining 3M tape and residue off the surface of the Vette with some tar remover. You then want to remove any tape from the rear of the badge as well. This step is critical to that you don’t over handle the badge and scrap it later in the process.

Next you will want to remove the dirt and dried wax from the corners and crevices of the badges. I used some degreaser and a shop brush. A pick or razor blade can be used for stubborn impediments. Dry it and then clean the badge with isopropyl alcohol. From this point forward you will want to use rubber gloves to handle the badges so you don’t leave contaminants or finger prints on your paint.

A lot of guys like to us the Plastic dip spray because you can remove it easily. However, after several failed attempts I can report to you that a razor blade or dental scraper at the right angle of attack will remove the paint and not damage your badge. This now opens the options of getting a cleaner finish with various color choices.

Now you can mask you badging. Even though you see the orange lettering first (pictured), the best plan is to spray the larger area before the detail work. You can mask your "Big" lettering (Z) by cutting your tape into small strips and applying them to the inside of the lettering. The smaller lettering you can detail with a small brush later.

After using several misting coats... like 5 or 6, you will want to allow a minimum of 24 hours before reversing your masking to shoot the lettering. Otherwise the tape when removing it from the paint will give you a hammered metal look.

Once you have reached your desired look you can apply a few clear coats and allow sufficient drying time. After both badges are dry you can prep your application area on the car and apply your 3M tape to your badges. To re apply the badges I used a small level to ensure they were on straight.

Total time for this will depend on your paint dry times. This mod is relatively simple but will add a nice detail to your Corvette. Hope this helps someone in modifying their set.

Mike- VetteSthetics

Shop cleaning brush (don't use your tooth brush Dawg!)

What??? now I gotta have seperate brushes for mods and for dental work.... !

Looks damn nice :thumbs

VetteSthetics

Looks good. Now how to get them to say 1000hp instead of 505.

PM sent!

VetteSthetics

I like it! How much for a set in Atomic Orange if I give you my badges back as cores? Shoot me a PM.

Thanks Tony, PM sent!

VetteSthetics

Nick did some research and looks like APSIS makes some carbon fiber badges you can have custom HP added to the badge. This is another option to the ones we already discussed. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Mike

Realistically I'm not doing anything. I like stock looks. I'm keeping the car as stock looking as I possibly can.

Or, better yet - lbs / Rated Thrust?

VetteSthetics

If APSIS makes them, then they are very expensive. Just sayin'.

LOL. Yeah when you dont post prices on the site you know your about to get it. They are cool pieces thought.

If APSIS makes them, then they are very expensive. Just sayin'.

LOL. Yeah when you dont post prices on the site you know your about to get it. They are cool pieces thought.

Yes, they make amazing works of art, and Jersey is very proud of them. I would almost kill to have a set of his carbon backed seats. i just don't have $6000 dollars to waste.