NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

I want to order a polisher

Unreal

I'm going to have Ted do the Hyundai later this month but the vette and mustang need some love and I'll go broke paying him to do all my cars all the time. I want to get my own setup.

Looking at something like this to get started

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-980-adams-complete-flex-polisher-kit.aspx

Autogeek has them too but the packages are a bit confusing.

Maybe this

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-flex-polisher-kit.html

Advise me old wise ones.

I'd get a Porter Cable DA polisher. They ae easy to use and you won't burn your paint. I like to use McGuires 105 polish and for the more heavy stuff, you woud want to use McGuires 205 polish and follow up with the 105 before you apply wax.

Detailing buddy in Utah said he upgraded from the PC to the Flex and it is worlds better. Looks like a lot of the companies are pushing the flex over the PC. I'm sure both are good. Pretty set on the flex, more looking at what pads/compounds/etc to order with it.

Ted might be the best advise. He can tell you if you need all that. Packages are often packed with fluff so they can over price them increasing their profit margin. Personally I think you're going at it backwards. Have Ted do the Vette, you practice on the Hyundai and then you'll do an above average job on the Mustang.

Vette already in good shape, no need for anything. My friend Rick did a full Adams buff and polish with the $150 american wax every 4 months on the vette. Hyundai is brand new and needs some wax to protect it.

Guest badbobs95

Vette already in good shape, no need for anything. My friend Rick did a full Adams buff and polish with the $150 american wax every 4 months on the vette. Hyundai is brand new and needs some wax to protect it.

I'll see you next Thursday at lunch. FYI, wax doesn't protect your car like a synthetic sealer first then wax. I have a FLEX and a Porter Cable and love them both. DA's are easy to use, just the handles are in different places. Like Greg said, 205 and 105 work great. Now, get to work!

All of the cars have sealants on them. Adams, or Rejex. Ted is going to to the opticoat or whatever on the Hyundai.

Flex 3401 is what I use. I started with the Porter Cable but you will outgrow it. If you are around, I'll give you some pointers and help you make a list. That's how I got started, I liked doing it myself.

I have a portercable and I used a friends flex. The flex is much faster at getting the job finished. Much less elbow Greece If I had it to do over again I would buy the Flex. In this case you get what you pay for. SLAMMER

• 4 weeks later...

I'd get a Porter Cable DA polisher. They ae easy to use and you won't burn your paint. I like to use McGuires 105 polish and for the more heavy stuff, you woud want to use McGuires 205 polish and follow up with the 105 before you apply wax.

:agree

For me, (as a GREAT start) - this is the most bulletproof means of achieving your end with results that will make you PROUD!

You can answer the "Flex" or other polishers questions , along with different compounds, waxes, sealants AFTER you get your feet on the ground, because then you'll KNOW what results you want to achieve (and CAN achieve).

I AM TOTALLY POSITIVE THERE ARE THOSE MORE TALENTED & EXPERIENCED HERE, AND ON OTHER FORUMS, SO THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION.

I have been detailing (serious hobbyist) since 1956, and I'm certain there are others who will disagree with me, and that's great. My experience includes a BUNCH of hot rods, customs, low riders, etc. The only time I entered my cars in "heavy hitter" car shows, The cars have won first in class (full custom) at the Portland Grand National Roadster Show, for two years running and then I quit showing at that level. It was just a fun experiment for me to see if my work was appreciated by others, and I guess they liked it.

For the past few years I have considered buying a FLEX Polisher, and I'm sure I will soon. Just wanted you to know that ANYTHING you wish to achieve is VERY do-able using the Porter Cable with the Meguiar's Products described in the above quote.

Also, for the "top coat" try Meguiar's "NXT Generation" Tech Wax 2.O = OUTSTANDING, to say the least!!

I detailed my Brother's Ford F-250 for him TWO YEARS AGO (it CONSTANTLY sits outside in No. California) and when I was up there a month ago it is still popping eyes and beading water. I was impressed.

And what it does on Black - WOW!!! :2cents

Stir it all up, decide what YOU feel is the best, and ENJOY!! I KNOW YOU WILL!

One final note: FOR ME, "autogeek.net " as well as "detailedImage.com" are BOTH excellent suppliers with quality products, GREAT customer service, ONLINE "HOW TO" VIDEOS, etc. Those are THE PLACES to go for any question you have. You can call (and speak to a real person) for advice & guidance! Their BOTH invaluable!!!

• 3 months later...
Guest badbobs95

One last bit of wisdom. I was spoiled as my first polisher was a Flex. I bought the Porter Cable as a backup in case I needed it. I have detailed at least 75 Corvettes in the last two plus years and the Flex is as strong as it was when I bought it. I tried the Porter Cable two days ago and it does vibrate a lot more than the Flex but one could argue that they all move in the same motion. If you are only going to use it once or twice a year, it's hard to justify spending $359 for the Flex.

If you buy the Griot's or Meguiar's version they should come with lifetime warranty.

I bought mine a while back from Lowe's with a coupon (but don't think Lowe's carries them any more)

Amazon often has the Griot's on sale

Remember it is the process and not the products that make the difference

Bought a flex months ago with the full adams kit. Used it on 3 cars already. Works great.

• 2 months later...

I just stepped up to a Flex Lightweight Rotary L3403. I've been using a PC DA for many years with Meguair's stuff, but the DA wasn't cutting it for me on the C5's hard clear coat. If you're just getting started I think a DA is a good place to start because you run much less risk of damaging paint. You also need to match the pad to the material you're using. Ultimate Compound with a Meguiar's Yellow pad followed by Ultimate Polish on a Yellow or Black pad is a good place to start. If you have deeper marks/swirls you can step up to a Maroon pad and/or M105. Be aware, M105 on Maroon is fairly aggressive and will leave hazing you'll have to take out later with the UC/Yellow combo.

The Yellow/Marron/Black pads mentioned above are Meguiar's Pads: 8006, 7006, 9006 (or the equivalent Softbuff v2.0 options)

I have a fresh bottle of Menzerna SIP1500 and SF4000 Polish with Orange, White, and Black pads and the Flex sitting on the kitchen counter. When my car gets back from having the bumper re-sprayed tomorrow, I'm going to give it a go. The pads mentioned in here are CCS pads. Important not to confuse the two. i.e. Yellow CCS pads are very aggressive.

FLEX for the WIN! The PC will vibrate the crap out of your hand within 5-10 minutes of use. Flex is the caddy of polishers in the price range IMO.

Ted - and be done with it.

...and he won't vibrate the crap out of your hand within 5-10 minutes of use.

Nice reflection! Holy crap is that a UFO in the upper right corner?????

As a matter of fact: Turns out the reflection temporarily blinded their pilot. They beamed me up and asked me if Menzerna worked on unobtanium and asked for a link for the Flex Rotary. :snky:

You guys with black cars always get the best reflection pictures.

You guys with black cars always get the best reflection pictures.

There are pros and cons to black paint.

- Best/deepest reflection

- Easy color pallet to work with because everything matches

- Easiest to spot paint defects (this is good and bad)

On the other hand

- Paint defects/swirls/rids/tracers/pigtails are all painfully obvious

- Hard to keep 'looking' as clean as other colors

I have an Ingot Silver F150. That thing can go weeks between washes and still look pretty good. Arizona hates black cars though. The dust alone drives me nuts.

The hood in that pic hadn't received any wax yet, that was just rotary, compound, polish. This is the back after the same treatment + Zaino Z5 and Z2.

Posted Image

I hear ya, I have a new ruby red duramax, and it looks dirty before I can finish drying it...