NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Almost Lost My Vette Tonight!!

Quiktrip

I did a whole bunch of little thing today that I had been putting off. I found the noise that has been bugging me..loose front sway bar bracket, hooked up the tranny temp and fuel pressure gauges, put on new front air dams that I got 3 months ago and general clean up and such. So I figured that I would take her for a spin to chech=k out the tranny guage and all. Drive for about 15-20 minutes, all good. Stop at, where else, Quiktrip for a soda, and a guy walking out says "hey, did you blow a hose or something, I could see it in your headlights when you pulled in". I pop the hood and WTF...FIRE. :eek A hose from the map sensor which goes in front of the pass. side valve cover was burning!!! I pulled off my shirt and beat the flame out with it. I was in shock. That hose has always been right there in the same position forever and the only thing that I can think that might have done it is an exhaust leak for that header sending the heat right onto the hose. It burned a 6 inch section of the hose but it still runs fine. If I had not stopped I think that I would have had a total loss. With that said, how can you determine if there is an exhaust leak? Robert :bang That's me knocking on wood!!! :burnout

If you have an exhaust leak, you should be able to hear it with the hood open.

Hope you figure it out.

You might want to go and buy a Fire Extuingisher to carry in the car just in case it ever gets worse.

Phil... :devil

First off don't ask Glenn! :lol Just joshing ya Bro!. I agree with Phil, you should be able to hear it with hood open. Glad you pulled over for a soda when you did, Headlines....Quicktrip saves Quicktrip from certian disaster! :thumbs Now lets get her fixed before Saturday!

ZOIKS! That is definately a good thing you stopped. I agree, you should hear the leak with the hood open. Especially one bad enough to burn a hose. The leak will manifest itself as a ticking sound ( from the valves opening and closing ). I second the fire extinguisher idea. I always carried one in my Jeep.

Good luck, Robert and be careful bro.

David

Guest Sidewinder

Robert

With the engine COLD, Have someone start it up and feel around the flanges for air blowing out where leak is suspected. Also, put a wrench on the header bolts an see if they are tight. Keep us posted.

exhaust leaks can sometimes be mistaken for fuel injector "clicking" like when i had the air hose break off the header - i first thought it was a loud fuel injector

another idea you could try....this might be a good excuse to buy one of those infrared thermomoters - and check for which header tube is "coldest" that one might have an exhaust leak.

chad and i tested my headers at his place when we did my radiator - it has 2 hot spots (right where the old air tubes used to be) that are about 80* hotter when running than the other places on the headers!

Dude! You were lucky! :eek Hate to have to change your plate to "torched." :lol

Chris is right... sounds like "click" "click" "click" every time a cylinder fires near where the leak is.

You might just need heat shielding too. Headers run hotter than stock exhaust and your stock exhaust may have had heat shielding. If you could see your headers at night at WOT they will be glowing red near the heads.

ok bro, check your shorts and count your blessings.

I’ve been there, not fun

What kind of hose was this?

Electrical

Vacuum

Gas

Radiator

Other

What was smoking? The hose? the outer shell?

Did you see Flame, or just smoke?

What did the smoke smell like? Acid like? sweet smelling? charred rubber?

My thinking while reading your post, is not Exhaust Temp cooking, but an electrical fire. A shot occurred and made smoke/fire.

If the Exhaust burns something its because something comes in contact with the headers (electral tape, barcode tag, split loom). Is there a charred residue on the header pipe?

reply back and let us know if there needs to be an emergency corvette repair party before saturday hits.

cheers

chad

Holy 'Drop a Deuce', Bro!!

You are livin' right Robert!!

If that was me, I'd be on the 5:00 news "Live from the Chopper" sitting on the curb, popping a brew from the 18pk I just rescued from the passenger seat as the car burned to the ground!!

Ken

Holy canneloni! That is way lucky my friend! :agree

I'm with Chad on the cause of the fire. I have had both types and the electrical ones didn't stick out like a sore thumb like the heat related ones. Did you drive home or have her towed? What did the smoke smell like? I know, you probably couldn't really smell it over the rubber burning....but the electrical source would be pretty acrid...Now, let's solve it before Sat!

M~

Another method I have heard of but never used is by using a piece of rubber tubing as a makeshift stethoscope. Put one end on your ear and move the other around the exhaust ports, listening for clicking valves.

I would also think that if the exhaust gas is suspected in starting the fire, then it should eliminate several ports just because of there being nothing to burn in proximity. Just a thought.

It was a vacuum line that sits about 2-2 1/2 inches from the header. It burned a 5-6 inch section of that hose and the only thing that is close is the header, which is why I thought that it may be leaking and sending hot gas at the hose. There wasn't a mark on the header so there wasn't contact. I won't be able to mess with it tonight and tomorrow I go to Yuma :U and may have to stay overnight, so Weds night will be the first chance to look it over. And yes Ron, it was an Ace shirt but looks like no damage. :thumbs Have fire extinguisher, will travel!!! Robert :burnout

Robert,

Sounds like the headers "radiant heat" got to the hose. I would re-route the hose if you can. Need some help? I'm in!! :flag

same here say the word and Ill in

Maybe we should work on it after dinner on Wed...... :D

Sorry to hear of the problem, but it does sound like a radiant header heat issue....

Let us know if we need to come over to help watch you work on it........

Andrew

fdny91101qg6.gif

Thanks guys. I'll pick up a hose on Weds. and it just pushs on on both ends. Will re-route as suggested. :yesnod I did start it up and could not feel leak at the header. I did notice that the hose was old and cracking and I believe it is the line from the gas vapor purge tank and maybe it found a leak and lit off from the heat from the headers. Will test on Fri. as I have the day off and will be running around getting some things done. :thumbs Thanks again for the offers to help. See ya Sat. Robert :burnout P.S. I better stay close to Tony on the trip. And to all that served, are serving and will serve in the future :flag:flag:flag