Recommendations for a good garage AC unit

aenigma

I'd like to get one. Anyone knows what works best? I'd like a freestanding unit. 2 1/2 car garage.

here is my 2 cts

you are looking at a split mini system.

the brand name is only 1/2 as important as the install .

if you are investing the $$ in a unit, my advise is to make sure the garage is sealed, and insulated.

I mean garage door, poly fill in the attic, spray foam fill the exterior walls.

your biggest heart ache will be the cars.

even if you have a garage that is sealed and at 80*, the moment you bring in 400* huge hunk of iron radiating heat, the AC wil be fighting to compensate for that heat load.

if you are just wanting something to cool you off the "few" times you are working on a hot car, then buy a swamp cooler with a massive CFM.

or perhaps a 48" rolling shop fan?

Posted Image

I'll expand and comment on Cahd's points a bit, you need to figure out exactly what your goal is:

Unless you have an extra garage bay to store a portable swamp cooler of necessary size I'd not really consider it viable for what you're likely trying to accomplish. Not to mention dealing with hurricane force air movement while its running isn't the most pleasant experience. Just my opinion though

Mini split AC as cHaD says, however - Mitsubishi "Mr. Slim" spit system.......period.....end of story. They are the gold standard, all others try to copy. I have this, it's awesome, its a mere hiccup on my energy use as its a high efficiency unit. However, insulated garage door which is well sealed is an absolute must, if you don't have or do this then don't bother. Also, check and make sure the ceiling/attic above is insulated. Some cheap ass builders save a few pennies by omitting this.

The cost of one of these units installed is comparable to that of a unit which WILL COOL AN ENTIRE HOUSE. You have to really want this, it's not cheap to do it correctly

What I do (if possible) is plan some garage duties and turn the unit on when I go to bed the night before. I have a nice comfortable work zone when I enter in the morning. Sometime if I have a project that will last a few days I just keep the thing running, with the efficiency of the unit it just makes more sense to keep it running. I leave the vehicles out to cool off to ambient and then pull them in to the garage to not tax the AC overly.

I agree with those guys.... .I don't know why, but I do...........

Swamp cooler is the only way to go. many options there including a Coolerado. A coolerado gives you cool air without the humidity.

That Coolerado product looks pretty nifty. I'd like to learn more about how that thing works. Their web site was a little vague.

I deep sixed my Swamp Cooler. It was the largest free wheeling unit that Home Depot sold. It definitely lowered the Temp in the Garage but the NOISE was unbearable. I couldn't hear my Garage Stereo.....LOL I'll give a +1 on the Split-Mini system. Guy who does my Bike work has one. He installed it himself and says that the install was easily done. I forgot what he said he saved but the $ was substantial.

Dave, It's works with a split coil. The coil is split by a "pad" and has water running over it but not penetrating it. The blower blows air through both sides of the coil.. the top of the pad is cooled by that water and air (like a typical swamp cooler) and the bottom air picks up the pads coolness, blowing into the room. The top side of the split coil, the one with both air and water is vented outside with it's moisture and the water recycled. The system uses a water filtration system and should be checked on as unfiltered water will build up scum in the coil system much like it does in a typical swamp cooler. The typical sizes unit uses about as much power as a blow dryer

So like a water assisted intercooler? Now that is brilliant in it's simplicity!

Guest badbobs95

Dave, It's works with a split coil. The coil is split by a "pad" and has water running over it but not penetrating it. The blower blows air through both sides of the coil.. the top of the pad is cooled by that water and air (like a typical swamp cooler) and the bottom air picks up the pads coolness, blowing into the room. The top side of the split coil, the one with both air and water is vented outside with it's moisture and the water recycled. The system uses a water filtration system and should be checked on as unfiltered water will build up scum in the coil system much like it does in a typical swamp cooler. The typical sizes unit uses about as much power as a blow dryer

Marco,that was the most impressive post you have ever typed! I think you did a cut & paste! :wacked: There are loads of them on EBay also.

Thanks Bob, no cut and paste...sometimes I surprise even me. LMAO

• 3 weeks later...