NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C4orce to my '96 CE

'96 CE

Okay.. I was told that my project is a one-of-a-kind, but I now know that other (very few) C4 owners have replaced their engines with an LS. What is different (I am guessing) about my project is that I'm pulling the trigger on purchasing the 46760 Edelbrock. This is a GM LS3 with Edelbrock modifications, which I believe to be the best performance upgrades you can make to the LS3. I am having 3R Racer, out of Denver, do the build. My goal here in this forum is to gain as much knowledge/user info so that I can prepared for ALL of the highest performance education that I will be putting into my Vette. I am going to try to utilize all of the electronic capacities that the LS3 offer, including; HUD - Heads up display Smart suspension interaction Full F-Body strengthening to handle 700hp And.. I would imagine (hoping) that input will come from other forum users will be coming from those in the C4, C5 and C6 world. HELP.. Thank you in advance.

HUD has nothing to do with LS3. Vettes have had huds since early c5 days.

That motor is so horribly overpriced it is a joke. You can do a lot better for a lot less money.

Welcome to the forum. I was hoping to see someone with a CE locally. This sounds like a very big project that'll take some time. Post up pics throughout the process.

What do you plan on doing with the car when it's completed? Shows? Track? Strip? Cruise? DD?

BTW, I need 2 CE wheels, if you know of someone who has a pair for sale.

HUD has nothing to do with LS3. Vettes have had huds since early c5 days. That motor is so horribly overpriced it is a joke. You can do a lot better for a lot less money.

Please advise. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum. I was hoping to see someone with a CE locally. This sounds like a very big project that'll take some time. Post up pics throughout the process. What do you plan on doing with the car when it's completed? Shows? Track? Strip? Cruise? DD? BTW, I need 2 CE wheels, if you know of someone who has a pair for sale.

Welcome to the forum. I was hoping to see someone with a CE locally. This sounds like a very big project that'll take some time. Post up pics throughout the process. What do you plan on doing with the car when it's completed? Shows? Track? Strip? Cruise? DD? BTW, I need 2 CE wheels, if you know of someone who has a pair for sale.

Yes, it is a big project, but I have found very few (2, maybe 3) that have utilized the LS3 46760 Edelbrock.

Welcome to the forum, our very own Larry (forum name C4orce2) put an LS3 in his C4. It was quite the process, I'm sure he'll be chiming in very soon. It's a mighty stout car

First of all determine what you want, your power goals, etc. That is just a stock ls3 block with a stroker crank to bring it up to a 416. The pistons/rods used aren't top quality. Depending on what you want you could do a really nice n/a motor that makes 700+ hp and not even deal with the blower for that much money. The eforce blower has many limitations.

For that much money, for a swap I would do a talldeck RHS block, 460-470ci, diamond coated pistons, mast 305cc ls7 heads, decent cam and have a nice 650rwhp all motor car and that would probably put you in the $15-16k range.

If you wanted to spend $20k for a blower/etc then I would goto a place like HKE, Livernois, etc to build a nice custom setup. The edelbrock is mostly factory parts and nothing really high end.

I had a LS3 Hot Cam (GMPP LS376/480) installed in my '92 in 2010. There is a thread under the Classics section entitled "C4 conversion to LS3 Hot Cam" in this forum you may want to look at. You can also go to the photobucket set forth below and view the album showing the build of C4orce2. That album has many pics of the build from start to finish.

My build was completed by CorvetteRestorationAZ, which is now gone. A gentleman from Fla also worked on all the electronics involved and he knows everything about the build. If your shop runs into electrical problems I know he would be willing to assist them. He built the computer intrerface that saved all my digital functions on the dash. Right now my car has been tuned on a loaded dyno and is putting out 429rwhp and 442rwtq. I did not build it for racing so it still has the Dana 36 with 3.73 gears and the 700r4 has not been heavily modded. As far as I can tell mine is the only C4 with this particular engine. There is a guy in CA that is having a Erod installed in his but that has taken them over 18 months so far and it is still not done due mostly to the complexity of the build and CA emission regulations.

My car goes by "C4orce2" since the owner of CorvetteRestorationAZ (Kim Madsen who passed away in the spring of 2011) was best friends with Alan Colvin, the former editor of Corvette Fever. Alan was the one that started Project C4orce for the magazine years ago. When Kim heard what I wanted to do, he called Alan and asked if they could make my car C4orce2. Alan agreed and said that they would do an article about the build. Kim gave me a huge break on the labor involved since he was going to take C4orce1 (already in his shop) and my car to Sema, etc. Unfortunately, Kim passed away before he could take the cars to any national shows and Corvette Fever went out of publication. Others on the big forum have suggested that an article should be done about the build but I have not pursued it. On the big forum I go by "C4orce2" and there are a couple of threads about the car there as well.

Good luck with the build.

First of all determine what you want, your power goals, etc. That is just a stock ls3 block with a stroker crank to bring it up to a 416. The pistons/rods used aren't top quality. Depending on what you want you could do a really nice n/a motor that makes 700+ hp and not even deal with the blower for that much money. The eforce blower has many limitations. For that much money, for a swap I would do a talldeck RHS block, 460-470ci, diamond coated pistons, mast 305cc ls7 heads, decent cam and have a nice 650rwhp all motor car and that would probably put you in the $15-16k range. If you wanted to spend $20k for a blower/etc then I would goto a place like HKE, Livernois, etc to build a nice custom setup. The edelbrock is mostly factory parts and nothing really high end.

I really like your idea if a talldeck RHS block, 460-470ci

Not to mention your one hell of a cool guy too... when you catch traction though according to Honda guys lol.

The all motor setup will have less hassle, no need to mount heat exchanged, no heat soak, less weight, and just fit better.

Is there a crate LS3 version of what engine your describing.. One that you might suggest my 3R Racing (my builder) to custom adapt..??

I don't know of anyone that does "crate" RHS setups. All LS gen iV will be the same on the outside unless you do a dry sump crank. So nothing special needed compared to any other LS.

What do you want out of the car? If you just want 500hp then just do a solid heads/cam ls3 and be done. It is more than enough to break all the other parts in the car.

I'd like to make my car UNREAL..!! To stiffen to suspension to handle putting the custom $ into something fantastic. I love the '96 CE, and I'm willing to throw good money at making it a solid 600+ rwhp car. Is there more on here that can advise me how to do that..??

Throw me all the technicals. Brakes. Suspension. Yes, I know the C4 didn't have HUD, but can it be done, and who do I talk to to make that happen. Okay, I don't want to spend 22.5k on motor alone..!! Can anybody assist me..??

This is not going to be a track or 1/4 mile'r.. However, my weekend fun MUST include this very tight, very strong, show car with huge balls. A car that I can play tough on it EVERY weekend and not have it break. And ALSO show it everywhere and have people drulling over what it took to make this happen. Classy. Crome.. I've keep the body cherry all these years so I can do something as I've articulated in my very first post.

Sounds a 416 ls3 based stroker would be perfect for you goals. Decent heads, mild cam and enjoy 600+hp without all the added blower headaches.