NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Bowling Green To Chandler 10/06/06

VetteDream

I'll put together a longer write up of the whole experience along with pics in a week. Suffice it to say that the Museum delivery is one of the best options you can take on your car. The treatment is like royalty. The plant tour was fanastic. They go at whatever pace you want. I spent over three hours in the plant tour (I have a tendancy to ask a lot of questions). You get to interact with the factory workers and I even got to start a new Z06 coming off the line. We spent another two hours getting the delivery of my vette and then the picture taking outside (it was a beautiful sunny day). then the museum tour. My delivery started at 7:45 am and we didn't leave until 4pm.

My only suggestion would be to spend the night and do the museum the day before delivery or the day after. There is so much to see and absorb. Once you have the keys to your vette, it is a constant buzz in your mind....gotta get to the car... gotta get to the car... gotta get to the car.

It's a beautiful country out there and a fabulous car to explore it with.

Warren

Congrats Warren, beautiful Corvette you have there, and yeah the smile is evident.. :D

Congrats Warren. Looks greeeaaattt! Just curious, I know there is a charge for picking it up the way you did, but do they also charge you the shipping charge?

I too did the museum delivery and drove the Z back to Chandler. Yes, they do charge you a destination charge of $800 to drive it 1/2 mile from the plant to the museum. Gotta love uniions. Its the main reason GM is in such deep financial trouble.

They charge an extra $500 or so ont top of that for the museum delivery. I agree that it is totally worth it. Its an experience of a lifetime.

Congrats Warren. Looks greeeaaattt! Just curious, I know there is a charge for picking it up the way you did, but do they also charge you the shipping charge?

Yep the 800 dollar delivery fee is fixed. They actually load the vettes up on a truck and drive across the street to the museum and deliver them as they would any other dealer. It is a union rule based on the number of cars that get delivered by the museum.

Guest UVETTYA

That is totally F@*K!#& stupid! I'd be pissed if I had to stand there and watch them load my brand new Corvette onto a transport just to drive it across the street and unload it!

HELL no! :crazy

That is totally F@*K!#& stupid! I'd be pissed if I had to stand there and watch them load my brand new Corvette onto a transport just to drive it across the street and unload it!

I'm just guessing Steve but I'd bet they don't even load it on a transport. I'll bet some late teen early twenties car jockey drives it over. The UAW has GM held hostage and they wonder why they're sinking like a rock???

Nope. I actually saw them unloading a truck at the NCM. When I asked the museum, they said it used to be that the prep guys from the museum would just go over and drive them back to the museum. It was when the popularity of the museum delivery took off a couple of years ago that the union noticed how many cars were being delivered. There is someting in the contract that specifies when a transport must be used. The good news is that the museum delivery has become very popular (and worth every penny). You were charged the delivery fee to GM regardless as that is the contract rate negotiated. Contract gives them 800 dollar per car regardless of how far or close to the plant the delivery is.

Guest UVETTYA

That just blows me away. :crazy

I probably better not do a museum delivery if I buy another new one. I would just make a scene. They could do whatever they want on paper and charge me the $800, but I simply wouldn't allow them to put my new Corvette on a transport just to drive it across the street and unload it. That's more stupidity than I can deal with.

Sorry Warren, I hope I'm not raining on your parade. If you're happy with your car then that's all that matters. :thumbs Don't mind me, sometimes I'm a just a grouch. :lol

The UAW has GM held hostage and they wonder why they're sinking like a rock???

:agree

It sure got my goat to know I paid $800 for a < 1 mile trip.