NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

'Nother Battery Thread

Grape Ape

C5 battery. I know they need a certain voltage. Here's my issue. About 3 months or so ago my battery was dead when I went to drive it. Not completely but enough to just start to turn the car over once or twice. Put it on a charger for a couple days and it was fine. Went to drive it again the following week and it was completely dead. Nothing, no lights and couldn't even pop the trunk. Put the charger on it again to get it back to where it would start. Heard the computer in the passenger foot well or whatever it is down there do its thing. It started and all but the key fobs don't work and the tire pressure sensors don't register. Don't know what else isn't working as I haven't had it out anywhere. I have had the charger on it for a couple months now and took it off tonight as I have a guy coming over in the morning to do something to it. This is a used battery that I got for a great price and its an optima yeller top. It was almost new when I bought it a couple years ago. I checked the voltage right when I took the charger off and it's only at 12 volts exactly. I am thinking that someone posted that these cars need 12.6 - 12.9 volts and 12.3 would be the minimum. Am I looking at getting a new battery and if I change it out would the fobs and TPMS start to work again? I'm thinking it might as I never had any issues with those things til the battery went dead dead. Your thoughts.......It used to take a couple months for it to go dead but now its like every week.

yea /// its dead .... get a new one ..... once they get to a certain point of low level voltage ... there's no recovering ......

Azmotorhead

Yep battery is toast. Time to sell the car-hell you dont even drive it anymore. It's not feeling the love and more things will continue to go south as

you've irreparably hurt the cars feeling.

Yep battery is toast. Time to sell the car-hell you dont even drive it anymore. It's not feeling the love and more things will continue to go south as

you've irreparably hurt the cars feeling.

^^^This ^^^^ LOL!

Man what happened to the LOVE????? (Wait, that's SWA) Slammin' the Grape at every turn. I am giving it some love today though. I did back it out of the garage so he can get some sun and let him have the WHOLE garage to himself for the day. I even took the cover off so he can breath.

On another note, the things that seem to be on the load alleviation circuit, will they come back after I drive it for a bit to get all things back in sink? TPMS & remotes?

Desertdawg

You will probably have to re learn the remotes, the TPMS should be fine.

Get a battery tender, the optimas love trickle charging...

fixed your sig pic.

Extender32

Best way to keep the battery from going dead is to DRIVE IT! I always find a reason to drive mine at least once a week. GET WITH THE PROGRAM MAN!

fixed your sig pic.

Thanks Dawg.

Fixed my problem with the draining issue. Boy do I feel like a boob. Don't know if I really want to tell you all what I found but I will anyway.

Went to back the car out yesterday morning and guess what I see in the back shining me in the face?

Yup, the rear compartment lights are on. So I looked at the switch on the dash and sure enough, it's latched over so the dome lights are on. Been like this since I cleaned it back in April for that show at the ford dealer. Boy do I feel stupid. Battery voltage is right where it's supposed to be now. Looks like I can save my pennies and not get a new battery for now. Need to drive it some though to get the other issues to reset themselves if they will.

Back to your daily lives now.