NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C5 Shopping

Desertdawg

Ok, so I may still have a year to go before I can afford one, but I can't stop browsing the C5 for sale adds.

There seems to be allot of 2001's for sale, and someone on the CF even asked what was wrong with the 01's. but no one answered and the thread was locked....

I know to be wary of 97's,

I know Jammye won't be happy unless it's an auto.

I told her it had to be a vert. (as long as I can prover they are just as nice (quiet) top up as a coupe)

Navy Blue Metallic with oak is the cat's meow, but Yeller is also pretty tempting....

Anything else I should know, or consider. (besides black!!!)

Just wanted to use this guy cause no one else does ---> :hat

Some of the 2001's had oil consumption problems but I don't remember if it was early production or late. I don't think it was late because my 02 is about as early as they come (8/01). My 02 has the dreaded piston slap when not warmed up but I decided as long it ran like it does I wasn't going to mess with it. All C5's seem prone to the differential leak but I've been lucky so far.

Other than that I'd search the C5 Tech and General for posts about the difference in accessories (ie active handling, HUD, standard sport seats, etc). Randy seems to be up on all of that stuff if you email him or check some of his posts on the CF.

Good Luck and maybe mine will be back for sale by then. We're shopping Mercedes Benz for the wife right now and then I can lay the guilt on to upgrade mine to a C6. Don't buy w/o calling me.

Yours has come up several times in our search. But it's that damn dreaded color.

You know if you want to run with the big Dawgs you've got to get black.

Yours has come up several times in our search. But it's that damn dreaded color.

:chris PREACH it Eddie! :lol

Oh, BTW....I'll see your :hat and raise you a :nicethread:

i happen to hang with the big dogs - in fact, mostly in front of them! and i don't think i'll be crossing to the dark side any time soon.

:burnout

All 97 to mid year 01 has a chance for the oil consumption issue. It is aggravated by prolonged high rpm usage. If you have a car with this IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. As part of your weekly checkup you need to check the oil level and probably keep a quart in the trunk for good measure.

Starting in 01 GM changed the Cam and added the LS6 intake manifold (the Z06 unit) to all cars. It added 5 HP and 5 TQ in the lower range.

While looking there is one benefit to buying from a GM used car dealer. They will perform all service recalls on the car (the column lock, wiring harness).

I would be happy to have you wife ride along with me to prove how quite the vert top is.

I would also advise the following deal breaker options.

Must have HUD.

Get the Z51 option.

Forget the F45 adjustable shocks. They will be too soft for you.

Tilt Tele is really, really nice.

Whether you get the 2.86 (?) or the 3.15 rear end, be ready to buy a proper DTE 3.90 or 3.75 rear end very soon.

Ed, just wondering...what is the piston slap issue with the 02 and is it a recall? Does this apply to the 02 Z06s as well? Any comment on which year is better from 02-05? Don't like the coupe 06 except the Z0. NO offense to the 06 owners.

I agree for the most part with Chads list of deal breakers. Just two that I would disagree with. I have the F45 and am very happy with it. I may not be when I have to replace the shocks as I understand they are big $$$. The other thing would be the 3:15's. I have them and I believe they are a good compromise for performance and gas mileage. I guess it's all in what you want.

I agree for the most part with Chads list of deal breakers. Just two that I would disagree with. I have the F45 and am very happy with it. I may not be when I have to replace the shocks as I understand they are big $$$. The other thing would be the 3:15's. I have them and I believe they are a good compromise for performance and gas mileage. I guess it's all in what you want.

The F45 is a nice feature. Unless you want to do one of 3 things. Auto cross, Replace, or upgrade.

If I had a wife and she wanted a soft ride (no wise cracks), then the F45 would be a no brainer. Best of both worlds.

..Dwane is a gear head. He will want to Auto cross that bad boy.

What you say about the 3.15 is true. I have a MN6 with 3.45 and I get 18-20 MPG. IM thrilled with that MPG. Dwane does live in BFE. MPG might be a stronger driving force.

The F45 is a nice feature. Unless you want to do one of 3 things. Auto cross, Replace, or upgrade.

If I had a wife and she wanted a soft ride (no wise cracks), then the F45 would be a no brainer. Best of both worlds.

We did a 5500 mi trip in mine and the wife commented on the "nice stiff ride". :D

Hey, you started it :leaving

Ed, just wondering...what is the piston slap issue with the 02 and is it a recall? Does this apply to the 02 Z06s as well? Any comment on which year is better from 02-05? Don't like the coupe 06 except the Z0. NO offense to the 06 owners.

IF I remember the piston slap is an issue where there is ring starvation during an initial cold startup. While under warrantee IF (big if) it could be proven to a dealership they would re ring all the pistons. Out of warrantee it is too cost prohibitive to do the work.

As for 02 to 04 are all the same. The new style started in 2005.

cheers

chad

Sorry I missed your post. As I remember hearing it started in the 01 or 02 and has shown up in most late model C5's. Chevrolet's official response is that it's not a problem just noisy. I know most people don't believe that but I am hear to tell you that it has not been a problem for me. It just sounds like a John Deere when it first starts up.

I guess I should have figured out the 01 issue myself, my work truck (Chevy) has it bad, it slap's, and rattle's bad, and it has 146,000 miles so far...

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm hoping things work out ok and we can get serious about this soon.... :jive:

3:15's with A4 here and mileage was 25.5 hiway and about 19 city...since headers and tune, 28/ 19. City didn't change.

Guest XLR8TNC5

Sorry I missed your post. As I remember hearing it started in the 01 or 02 and has shown up in most late model C5's. Chevrolet's official response is that it's not a problem just noisy. I know most people don't believe that but I am hear to tell you that it has not been a problem for me. It just sounds like a John Deere when it first starts up.

Piston Slap issues are a possiblity in all the models, however, the issue really pronounced itself in 2000+ models. I know of only a handful of 99's that have it, but the 97 and 98's do not have it at all. Also, up until 2001 or 2004, I don't remember for sure, the A4's have 2.73's in them. Around those years, they changed them to 3.15's. I switched my 2.73's out for 3.42's. I didn't see any gas mileage changes at all with my car. I still easily get 26-28mpg on the hwy.

And it doesn't matter what color you own if you can keep up or not. It is about whether or not you have the cahones to drive the car the way it was intended to be driven.... :devil Of course, all in a safe and proper environment.....<Disclaimer by Tanya

Take it easy.

Regarding piston slap, my 99 was a late run (produced on 6/99) and has piston slap on start up, 60k miles and no issues. A lot of GM cars/trucks have piston slap with no issue, some are worse then others though.

You want a vert, so 97's are out, verts started in 98. Aside from that 97's weren't that bad..

I agree with Chad on the F45 option, being a used car the system could start giving you trouble. I hear parts are expensive to replace on the f45 system.

Other option I'd want is the 12 disc cd changer, not a deal breaker, but I do like mine. Also love my HUD, Kelly turns it off, doesn't like for some reason :crazy:lol

I also wish mine came with the sports seats vs the base seats. The base seats are fine, but I'd like to have power on the passanger side and side supports. Wouldn't be a deal breaker, but a nice option to have.

OK, still a little new here. But...

What is this piston slap you guys are talking about.

And please tell me what the F45 suspension is.

WOW! I didn't know GM was having those issues with the new motors. If the piston slap is that bad, it WILL cause damage over time or will progress at some point to cause damage. The rings can only take up so much room in the cylinder to make up for the piston defects and will then push oil past the oil ring and to the top of the piston where pinging will eventually start happening as the oil turns into carbon and acts like a glow plug. the reason for that is the skirts will wear excessively and no longer wipe the cylinder walls of oil and skate in the cyclinder.

I'm sure the only real reason GM hasn't taken care of this is because they can't bare the cost it would take to fix all the motors in all those years affected. An engine tear down for each vehicle...the cost would go through the roof and help bolster their already sky rocketing sales profit margin...LOL, NOT!! Buy a Chevy and get another free sale to compete with Ford.

Thanks for the info on the different years and issues the C5s are having. Maybe I'll wait a bit longer.

WOW! I didn't know GM was having those issues with the new motors. If the piston slap is that bad, it WILL cause damage over time or will progress at some point to cause damage.

It depends how bad it is, in extreme case yes, especially if it continues to do it after warm up. Mine goes away after 5 minutes or so, burns no oil. I've seen plenty of cars with minor piston slap go 100k + miles with no issue.

Car the continues to knock after warm up, you'll have issues with, most likely it's burning oil anyway.

WOW! I didn't know GM was having those issues with the new motors. If the piston slap is that bad, it WILL cause damage over time or will progress at some point to cause damage.

It depends how bad it is, in extreme case yes, especially if it continues to do it after warm up. Mine goes away after 5 minutes or so, burns no oil. I've seen plenty of cars with minor piston slap go 100k + miles with no issue.

Car the continues to knock after warm up, you'll have issues with, most likely it's burning oil anyway.

:withstupid Mine goes away after maybe 5 mins and burns zero oil with almost 55k miles.

I have no piston slap at all on my '98. The '98's were the last of the cars with the return fuel line, and I understand they had slightly bigger injectors.

Must haves for me would be Active Handling, 12 disc changer, six speed and BLACK!!! For you I would insist on active handling, A4 with 3.15's, Z51(stiffer shocks, higher rate springs, bigger diameter sways, and a power steering cooler), depending on the model year, sport seats (eventually became standard) and 12 disc CD. I don't care much about HUD - because I don't have it and I don't know what I'm missing.

As far as the differences in equipment and color by model year - check out this site.....

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/index.html

If you have any specific questions that I might be able to answer - give me a shout. Good luck in the hunt! :howdy

just a tidbit from an upgrader......

i liked my C4s - a LOT in fact. so it was a no brainer to upgrade.

i had NO deal breakers - all i wanted was a car with SICK power - just BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR! the power was so sick, i had to tone it down - and am a little disappointed in the money i have put into it with the apparent lack of a forced induction power adder!

if you want sick power - BUILD IT YOURSELF - and in that case, i'd say piston slap is a non issue - as a motor upgrade with forged bottom end would cure that!

the only thing i say would be a deal breaker - active handling (or lack thereof i should say) it is the coolest feature - i have tested it in the pouring rain with my drag radials and the car practically keeps itself straight.

i'd like to have HUD, but i know it can be added after the fact!