NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Chad’s Car Stereo Project Update

ChadC

Well it’s the end of day one and I have a good chunk complete. The door speakers are in. The Insulation is in. I have the power cable ran through the firewall.

Tomorrow I will move my way back wards and mount the amps and get to the sub. By 5o clock-ish I should be powering up the system.

Seats out, and a sponge bath to clean up a soda spil made in early 2000

IMG_1717.jpg

Laying down the first roll of insulation.

IMG_1718.jpg

Foot well done. Ready to do the hump

IMG_1719.jpg

Insulation is complete. That was rather fast.

IMG_1721.jpg

Second wound of the day. Not for the easily squeamish.

Taped up, with paper towel compress. Ready to go back to work. Total down time, 2 min 38 seconds.

Tweeter and 6” in place

IMG_1728.jpg

If some one is bored and wants to drop by please feel free to do so. I wont necessarily put you to work, but the company would be nice.

cheers

chad

:clap Nice weekend project. I ride my 'cycle up there alot for those sweepers north of you on 67th, I'll swing by and try to find you on my ride today, see if I can learn somethin'... :yesnod

Jeez, when you said a project, I didn't envision this much of a tear down! Wow, that is way cool! Shoot us a pm with your addy and we'll try to stop in if you plan to be messing around most of the day Sunday.... :bang

Lata!

M~

my address is 6510 w west wind dr glendale AZ 85310

623-825-4798 home

.. good Idea about the penny

EDIT sorry I posted the wrong house number.. Doh!

correct now

:agree I am happy to report he has the doors done and back together....and he now knows how to ride a crotch-rocket! :willy

Nice to meet ya Chad, your system should sound awesome! :thumbs

After a second day of hard work, Motorcycle riding, (thank you Dean [MOTV8]. That was fun) and helpful distractions. I am almost complete. The sub is in. The amps are in and wired up. The head unit is in and wired up. The carpet and loose wires are nailed down.

The wire path is secure. No rubbing.

IMG_1731.jpg

All the parts for the Brains of the system MUHAHAHAHAH

IMG_1732.jpg

Here is Andrew (amracing) showing the latest fashion wear. So Andrew do you have to move your balls out of your purse for your wife to give you your weekly allowance?

IMG_1733.jpg

Thats for the Zoolander cracks.

Amp rack carpeted and mounted

IMG_1734.jpg

Amps and Cap mounted. Rough in power wires.

IMG_1736.jpg

Passenger side carpet going back in. There is light at the end of the tunnel. YEA!

IMG_1737.jpg

Sirius unit and X-overs mounted.

IMG_1738.jpg

Buttoning up loose wires and securing them. Amp and Cap wires installed.

IMG_1739.jpg

Roxxane is starting to look like a car again.

IMG_1740.jpg

Tomorrow Ill connect the sub, mount the primary fuse, charge the cap and (fingers crossed) activate the system. Then the fun begins.

Stres testing and Tuning the system at high volumes :D

cheers

chad

I'm glad I could help...... :D As for the "Purse", that was my tool kit :smilelol !!!!!

I'm still amazed that you fit under the car.....

After driving around for a few hours, Melissa made me call to find out where your house was.... :lol We were wondering how you could have your house in the middle of the runway at Deer Valley.... :P

Thanks again for letting us stop by it was fun.

Andrew

Say, you're really making progress there! Quite a difference from the empty little car we saw on Sunday! :clap

And, no I don't keep Andrew's allowance in the purse under the balls....I keep those closer to me....besides did you see how small the purse was? They don't fit in there.... :cone

M~

ps-I thought the whole penny thing was a girl thing....guys do it too?

ps-I thought the whole penny thing was a girl thing....guys do it too?

This is what I did to my 71.

When putting it back together with all new parts I found a penny made the same year as the vette. So is put it under the carpet, signed and dated it.

Wow Chad, brings back memorys of Roxx I ....

And this is the first I have heard of the penny thing... :crazy

Whew it is done. This has been a rewarding and bonding experience with Roxxane.

The passenger seat and waterfall is still out until the tuning part is 100% complete.

Circuit breaker installed, and battery in place

IMG_1742.jpg

With out any amps, turning on the Head Unit to confirm power and operation.

IMG_1744.jpg

Charging the Cap. About as entertaining as watching paint dry.

IMG_1747.jpg

Center console back in place. A bit of a snug fit with the new insulation.

IMG_1748.jpg

Sub installed. That’s Talc powder and my finger prints on the unit. I was looking for air leeks.

IMG_1749.jpg

Ahh tuning. Listening to music and drinking a beer. This is the life.

IMG_1750.jpg

IM in the last stages of the audio tuning phase. I still need to tweak the tweeters or cut down the 4” drivers. Having a tough time nailing that one down. In hind sight I think I should have gotten a 12” 2 Ohm sub instead of the single 10. I was hoping for more impact, but I guess the box/sub is not built for it.

Sub installed. That’s Talc powder and my finger prints on the unit. I was looking for air leeks.

IMG_1749.jpg

Talcom powder??? :huh

Sure and I'll bet that talcom powder made the whole job a lot more enjoyable :lol:lol

Talcom powder??? :huh

Sure and I'll bet that talcom powder made the whole job a lot more enjoyable :lol:lol

Ill have you know mr smarty pants, that sub is supposed to be a sealed enclousre. However I had a hissing noise when I pushed on the sub. So to find it I dashed talk powder all over the sub and screws in an effort to see the "puff of smoke" showing me where the leak is.

and yes I dashed it 'elswhere' to make the job more enjoyable, cooler, and dryer.

Great job. If your ears give out and you still need tuning help, I have a real time analyzer complete with tripod and mic and we can see where the hot spots are on the graphs. That's if you want to get really technical.

BTW, nice amps..... Eventhough I don't work there anymore. :leaving

Great job. If your ears give out and you still need tuning help, I have a real time analyzer complete with tripod and mic and we can see where the hot spots are on the graphs. That's if you want to get really technical.

SOLD!!! I havent done this for 10 years and my memory / ears are different now.

Id love to dig in with an RTA Machine! While I dont have the greatest control (I dont have an Audio control 1/3 Octave EQ) It could give me a great starting point.

name the time and place and Ill show up with the beer.

not to hijack, but would you mind expanding on this topic - IN ANOTHER THREAD PLEASE! :huh

Does it play 8 tracks too?????? :D

Seriously, it's lookin' good. Congrats on the instal.....

Andrew

SOLD!!! I havent done this for 10 years and my memory / ears are different now.

Id love to dig in with an RTA Machine! While I dont have the greatest control (I dont have an Audio control 1/3 Octave EQ) It could give me a great starting point.

name the time and place and Ill show up with the beer.

Ok, next week will probably be the best time as this week is going nuts right now already. The RTA is an Audiocontrol SA-3055. Unit that was used up until lately for IASCA competitions. It also has an SPL meter but will only register up to 135dB. If I had bothered to pay for the rather expensive upgrade it would be good up to about 165dB. But I mainly wanted it for tuning on my comp cars. I'll shoot you a PM when it gets closer and we can go from there.