NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Blackwing

Bigfoot

OK, Blackwing just got here today. Puting it on no biggie. But since it did not come with instructsion (got it from ebay seller), what is the best method of cleaning and "charging?" Is it ok to use the K&N stuff that I already have in the garage or do I really need to buy the blackwing stuff?

Thoughts comments?

Guest XLR8TNC5

I know Mark and I use the K&N Recharging kits from the gas station onbase on my Haltech and his Blackwing, no issues to be had and you don't get screwed paying for the BLACKWING shtuff.

Just my .02

I know Mark and I use the K&N Recharging kits from the gas station onbase on my Haltech and his Blackwing, no issues to be had and you don't get screwed paying for the BLACKWING shtuff.

Just my .02

I'm with her, I use the same on my Haltech. Glad you got a Blackwing!!! :yesnod

I used the K&N stuff until I ran out and then bought the Blackwing

Thanks people...will do.

I think the coupler that it came with is a little long. It doesn't let the air bridge rest on it's grommets right and is raised a good couple inches above the radiator shroud. The hood closes fine so don't know if I'll cut it down or not. :toetap

Nice little increase in throttle response and improved note from the stock exhaust as well. :thumbs

Nicely pleased. :cool

Guest UVETTYA
I think the coupler that it came with is a little long. It doesn't let the air bridge rest on it's grommets right and is raised a good couple inches above the radiator shroud. The hood closes fine so don't know if I'll cut it down or not. :toetap

Nice little increase in throttle response and improved note from the stock exhaust as well. :thumbs

I had the same "fitment" problems on both the '03 and '04 Z06's. I've mentioned it before but you're the only one I've heard of who has had this problem besides me. I ended up trimming the snout off both Blackwings to get the air bridge to sit down on the grommets. Until I did that, closing the hood caused an air leak after the MAF which screwed with the computer and caused surging. Other than that I'm very pleased with the Blackwing.

My Blackwing doesn't fit down on the grommets but it doesn't seem to leak either. It does wear on the hoodliner though.

I had the same "fitment" problems on both the '03 and '04 Z06's. I've mentioned it before but you're the only one I've heard of who has had this problem besides me. I ended up trimming the snout off both Blackwings to get the air bridge to sit down on the grommets. Until I did that, closing the hood caused an air leak after the MAF which screwed with the computer and caused surging. Other than that I'm very pleased with the Blackwing.

What exactly did you cut down???

I think if I trim the coupler between the bridge and the blackwing it should be fine. I'll post pics in a little while.

Guest UVETTYA

I trimmed the snout of the Blackwing itself, about 1/4 inch.

When I removed the coupler and fit everything in there on both the '03 and the '04, there wasn't enough room from the grommets that the air bridge sits on, to the Blackwing itself, for everything to fit without sticking up like you mentioned. When I closed the hood everything would flex, creating a small air leak where the air bridge connects to the coupler that looks like an accordian. (the one that connects to the throttle body). Not only was dirt getting into the throttle body but it raised hell with my A/F ratios because air was getting in after the MAF.

I thought I read that there are two styles of Blackwing, one for '98 to '01's and the other for '02 to '04 but I can't remember where I read that.

Try fitting the pieces in there without the coupler that goes between the MAF and the blackwing and you'll see what I'm talking about. On mine the MAF butted right up against the snout on the Blackwing and everything was simply too long. At first I thought it was because the coupler between the MAF and the Blackwing was too long but when I took that out I realized that doesn't have anything to do with it. The only way I could see to remedy it was to shorten the snout on the Blackwing. So I stuffed some rags into the Blackwing to keep particles out of it and used a hack saw to cut about 1/4" off the snout of the Blackwing. I can't remember for sure but I may have had to shorten the coupler between the MAF and the Blackwing snout too to make the coupler fit.

Everything fits now and the air bridge sits down on the grommets. :bang:bang:bang

I trimmed the snout of the Blackwing itself, about 1/4 inch.

When I removed the coupler and fit everything in there on both the '03 and the '04, there wasn't enough room from the grommets that the air bridge sits on, to the Blackwing itself, for everything to fit without sticking up like you mentioned. When I closed the hood everything would flex, creating a small air leak where the air bridge connects to the coupler that looks like an accordian. (the one that connects to the throttle body). Not only was dirt getting into the throttle body but it raised hell with my A/F ratios because air was getting in after the MAF.

I thought I read that there are two styles of Blackwing, one for '98 to '01's and the other for '02 to '04 but I can't remember where I read that.

Try fitting the pieces in there without the coupler that goes between the MAF and the blackwing and you'll see what I'm talking about. On mine the MAF butted right up against the snout on the Blackwing and everything was simply too long. At first I thought it was because the coupler between the MAF and the Blackwing was too long but when I took that out I realized that doesn't have anything to do with it. The only way I could see to remedy it was to shorten the snout on the Blackwing. So I stuffed some rags into the Blackwing to keep particles out of it and used a hack saw to cut about 1/4" off the snout of the Blackwing. I can't remember for sure but I may have had to shorten the coupler between the MAF and the Blackwing snout too to make the coupler fit.

Everything fits now and the air bridge sits down on the grommets. :bang:bang:bang

Cool, thanks...will look into as soon as time permits.