NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C5 Headlight

CZYDMND

Hey all, My driver side headlight is making noise when I turn the headlight off and it goes down....It's making a grinding noise after it already down...kinda like it's still trying to go down but it's already down...

Please Help.... :banghead

Time for the metal gear update. Headlight motors are a definite weak spot on the C5. They are basically the same headlight motors my son's 85 Fiero had. You can buy the brass gear replacement which comes with instructions from http://www.rodneydickman.com/ or off ebay. They run about $40 per side.

Time for the metal gear update. Headlight motors are a definite weak spot on the C5. They are basically the same headlight motors my son's 85 Fiero had. You can buy the brass gear replacement which comes with instructions from http://www.rodneydickman.com/ or off ebay. They run about $40 per side.

Good info for when it happens to me. :D

I have replaced both my gears over the last year. One with brass ad the other with nylon. The brass ismore expensive but spposed to last forever. I will ind out. I bought the brass at Xtreme Motorspodt and Irmember it was aboutth same price as the internet. Follow the instructions and five the glue plenty of time to set and you will do fine.

Guest XLR8TNC5
I have replaced both my gears over the last year. One with brass ad the other with nylon. The brass ismore expensive but spposed to last forever. I will ind out. I bought the brass at Xtreme Motorspodt and Irmember it was aboutth same price as the internet. Follow the instructions and five the glue plenty of time to set and you will do fine.

:eek Wow. wanna try saying that in English? LOL. Im just giving you a hard time. I think we understand what you are trying to say. LMAO!!!

:eek Wow. wanna try saying that in English? LOL. Im just giving you a hard time. I think we understand what you are trying to say. LMAO!!!

Maybe this will help

http://www.spellcheck.net

I tell you what sure glad I paid 2500 for this warranty.....it covers the motors and install yea for me.... :clap

I tell you what sure glad I paid 2500 for this warranty.....it covers the motors and install yea for me.... :clap

Tell ya what, pay me $2500 and I'll come over & replace those $40 gears in a couple hours for you. Then it'll be yea for me :clap

Tell ya what, pay me $2500 and I'll come over & replace those $40 gears in a couple hours for you. Then it'll be yea for me :clap

I will never "buy" a warranty again. They are a waste of money...especially $2,500.

1. They usually run out before anything breaks

2. They usually cost more than the repair of a small handfull of things before they run out

3. If you have any inkling of mechanical ability you'll pay a lot less in those repairs long before you reach the cost those warranties

IMHO :thumbs

Maybe this will help

http://www.spellcheck.net

DUH, I am having a malfunctioning keyboard issue and without having word as email editor I have to go back and correct about 1/3 the words as you have seen. It has something to do with explorer only, do not have the problem offline. I did however edit this before posting.

Guest UVETTYA

I paid $3400 for my warranty but I'm good until 2011 and/or 99,999 miles. I'm pretty sure I'll get my money's worth out of it. The way I drive I'll prolly go through 2 or 3 rear ends, maybe a transmission or two and a couple clutches for sure. :bang:bang:bang

I paid $3400 for my warranty but I'm good until 2011 and/or 99,999 miles. I'm pretty sure I'll get my money's worth out of it. The way I drive I'll prolly go through 2 or 3 rear ends, maybe a transmission or two and a couple clutches for sure. :bang:bang:bang

Careful, they may not cover it if they deem it was your fault for the failures.

Guest UVETTYA

Both the service writer and the Vette mechanic at B&B in Mesa encouraged me to 1) get headers and 2) take it to the track. I asked them what if it breaks? They said to clean the rubber from the wheel wells, wipe the numbers off the windshield and have it towed and they'll fix it.

I think if you called them from the track with a lunched tranny they might have a problem. :lol Other than that I don't see why they wouldn't cover it. They might question two trannies in a year or so but I would hand them a copy of the video they gave me with the car and point out that GM says the car was designed to go from the show room to the track. They even show you how to heel-toe shift, etc. I would tell them it's unreasonable to sell me a sports car and not expect me to drive it like one. :toetap

Both the service writer and the Vette mechanic at B&B in Mesa encouraged me to 1) get headers and 2) take it to the track. I asked them what if it breaks? They said to clean the rubber from the wheel wells, wipe the numbers off the windshield and have it towed and they'll fix it.

I think if you called them from the track with a lunched tranny they might have a problem. :lol Other than that I don't see why they wouldn't cover it. They might question two trannies in a year or so but I would hand them a copy of the video they gave me with the car and point out that GM says the car was designed to go from the show room to the track. They even show you how to heel-toe shift, etc. I would tell them it's unreasonable to sell me a sports car and not expect me to drive it like one. :toetap

Well said...so :burnout:burnout:burnout:burnout:burnout:burnout:burnout:burnout:burnout:burnout

• 1 month later...

alright got the parts in for the headlights if I'm feeling better will try and install saturday or sunday....Let keep our :xfinger..........

alright got the parts in for the headlights if I'm feeling better will try and install saturday or sunday....Let keep our :xfinger..........

Good luck. If you do it Saturday early enough I might be able to stop by and lend a hand. Have to check with the wife when she gets home. But can't stay too long (no later than about 2:00 or 3:00. College ball, race and UFC all on Saturday night.

Help Saturday 7:00 am how do you get to the bolts to take out headlight... any easier way then shoving your hand in.....

call cell

602-451-4005

Guest UVETTYA

I've never done it myself, but I've heard it's a bit of a bee-otch. As my memory serves me, some take the headlight assy out altogether, others claim it can be done without going that far. I know there are some here who have done one so maybe they'll speak up. If not, you can prolly do a search on Corvetteforum.com and find a DIY thread.

Steve

I did mine and you have to raise the headlight and take off the plastic surround. Then it's a biotch to get to the bolts, especially with fat hands like mine. I ended up taking the whole assembly out to work on it. I think it made it easier in the long run.

ok both out and one already fixed and back in yea.........

Be sure to double check the passenger side. I did but still lost the side cover. After I lost it I was reading on CF that it's common. The epoxy apparently didn't stand the heat. Sometime I've got to get another motor unless I can find someone with a blown motor and salvage the side cover. Glad to see I know someone with experience now! :D

ok both out and one already fixed and back in yea.........

Be sure to double check the passenger side. I did but still lost the side cover. After I lost it I was reading on CF that it's common. The epoxy apparently didn't stand the heat. Sometime I've got to get another motor unless I can find someone with a blown motor and salvage the side cover. Glad to see I know someone with experience now! :D

Yea the passenger side.... I thought about that nothing holding like the driverside :toetap I hope it does not come off....I really don't want to have to rebuild again :crazy:

But both are done and sitting the 24 hrs to make sure it's cured.......

Wow I did it without breaking or throwing anything and cussing Ok maybe I said a couple bad words.....