NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

2006 Z06 Covertible?

sffiredude

Ok, my buddy is driving the onrap to the freeway in his low mileage beautiful black Z06 when the kevlar roof just peeled back. Needless to say WOW :willy What to do now? He went back to the office and secured it as best he could to get home. Anyone out there have or know of this issue? An was it trully a factory looking repair

:banghead

:ack

:U

Man that sux, but I believe this to be a known problem. Dave(duzntsk) or something like that has had the same issue. There is a post about it somewhere on here. Good luck with the fix!

It's a known problem but GM is denying that it happens to the Z06 because their roof is not removeable like the standard C6. I'd be standing on some Service Managers desk.

I did a little bit of research on this a little while ago as I was getting concerned about my wife possibly losing her top and getting all wet. As it happens the C-6's built on or before May 31st. of this year may have a faulty top. The ones built on June 1st. or later are equipped with the improved SMC top. Her car was built on May 31st. If we had just waited one more day to put the order in, or if we had gotten a lazy/procrastinating salesman we would be o.k. Although we have had no problems yet, it still worries me. Joe

I did a little bit of research on this a little while ago as I was getting concerned about my wife possibly losing her top and getting all wet. As it happens the C-6's built on or before May 31st. of this year may have a faulty top. The ones built on June 1st. or later are equipped with the improved SMC top. Her car was built on May 31st. If we had just waited one more day to put the order in, or if we had gotten a lazy/procrastinating salesman we would be o.k. Although we have had no problems yet, it still worries me. Joe

Hey Joe, a little Bondo and a $5 can of spray paint will fix it :lol:lol

Hey Joe, a little Bondo and a $5 can of spray paint will fix it :lol:lol

All C6's coupes have the potential to release the top without notice. The frames stays locked in place but the glue that holds the skin is defective and the skin can just separate and fly away.

GM has an official recall on the 05's now and most 06 owners are waiting for the recall as well. If the top delaminates, GM has/had a temporary fix where the re-glue the top but that hasn't held either.

The new SMC top is supposed to be available at dealers now but because of the demand, there seems to be a shortage.

Mine was built on May 30th. Looks like I just missed the window too. I am getting seperation at the rear of the roof panel.

I was told by a local dealer that GM says there is no repair available as it does not apply to the Z06. The dealer told me to call GM customer service and go from there. What a CROCK! $80k car and they can't make the roof stay on. Please let me know if you get anywhere with them. I have been working on a house buy/sell so haven't had time to mess with it. I do, however, intend on getting very aggressive in my search for a cure as soon as things settle down a little.

As for MY wife, I prefer it when she's topless and all wet. ;)

z06's have problems with delamination too?

I'm dealing with some roof issues in my car right now, however its a c6 z51 coupe.

I called about the recall and they said my car should be fine, however the roof is making a lot of noise which certaintly isnt normal.

Since the z06's are hardtops, i didnt think they had a delamination issue.