NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

F'n State trying to close Speedworld

FNBADAZ06

Wow that sucks i will be in touch with my neighbor tomorrow who is a State Senator. I guess if the close the tracks we race on the streets and let them figure it out.

I dont get it. I wonder what they say when the street racing induced accidents go up 800%

They are going to say just how much its going to cost the tax payers to put a stop to it!

Kinda confirms what I posted a week ago. "In other news, the County is seriously considering cancelling the land use permit for Speedworld sometime during 2014. That's probably as a revenge of sorts, due to the recent court battle that allowed them to stay open for an unknown period of time. Speedworld is a NHRA track, but is limited in events to cars running a lot slower. i.e. 7.50 and up." Here's another update: There is talk of a new track, but built by selling stock to racers, et al, with perks in relation to investment. It sounds feasible, considering the investment already spent in all the local race cars, another few bucks to have a playground is logical. Some of the more serious racers have plenty of cash and incentive. When the alternative is going to Tucson or Vegas, it makes sense. Assuming shares were $100, how many would you buy?

At $100 a share I would be in for almost a dozen, but it would be prudent to wait for the IPO clammer to die down then grab a couple bushels full at a reduced price.. :lol Do we need to wait for random chart wednesday to figure out a buy in point?

Just in moments ago. Good morning everyone, I hope this message finds everyone well and staying warm. This email is to let everyone know exactly what is going on with Speedworld and the County/State situation. First I want to give you our schedule for the next few weeks. This SaturDAY, January 19 - ADRA + Open Test & Tune, gates 9am Saturday NIGHT, January 19 - Cruise-In Street Meet, gates 7pm Next SaturDAY, January 26 - No races scheduled Saturday NIGHT, January 26 - Street Meet, gates 9am Friday Feb 1 - Open Test & Tune & move in for National Open Weekend - Gates 10, T&T Noon-7 Saturday Feb 2 - NHRA National Open Qualifying, big car Team Speedworld #1, Jr Team Speedworld #1 & Jr Divisional #1 - Gates 8am Sunday Feb 3 - NHRA National Open Eliminations, Jr Team Speedworld #2 & Jr Divisional #2 - Gates 8am There are additional races posted on our website through the end of the year: www.racespeedworld.com. That and our hotline 623-388-2424 are the ONLY places to get ACCURATE information. Do not believe anything else you hear or read except from those two places! That said, there won't be races to the end of the year, as we have reached the end. Speedworld WILL be closing permanently, we just don't know exactly when. We are in negotiations with the state & county (as I write this) to try and formulate an exit strategy that works for everyone. This must be done before a hearing scheduled for Thursday, Jan 17. Don't ask me why, you don't want to know all the political bullshit that is going on. Suffice to say, it will be much better for us if we can negotiate everything before that hearing. Like you, I'm pretty much devastated over this situation - and I've only been here 20 years! Speedworld is my life, my family, my home, and for most of you, I know you feel that way too. But after 3 years and about $300,000 in legal fees, the opposition has become so intense and has thrown up so many obstacles that we cannot continue to fight them, in spite of all the tremendous support from you, our racer family. Let's look to the future. We have found an extremely suitable location for the dirt part of our operations that could possibly have a dragstrip sometime in the future. That would depend on the willingness of the property owner to sell the suitable land next to the dirt operation. Right now, we don't know if that's feasible. From a physical standpoint, it is doable. It will require two things we don't have right at this moment: time and money, but then you already knew that! We can pick up our dirt operations & equipment and move them, we can't do that with a dragstrip. But it IS doable, and I personally assure you, I'm going to do everything I can to see that the dream of a new dragstrip in the Phoenix area becomes reality. We'd probably be looking at nearly two years before racing could begin, but it could happen. We will keep everyone posted. Now, back to the present. Please support every race that you possibly can, as this will help us considerably to make a new facility happen. AS SOON AS I KNOW A FINAL DATE I WILL TELL YOU! We're asking to run at least through the end of May, to complete our 'spring' schedule. This would include enough Team Speedworld races to qualify for the ET Finals, both Juniors and big cars. It would include the Heritage race, as well as the Lucas Oil Off Road race. But I stress that this is not yet cast in stone, we don't know how much they'll give us. We believe it's a very real possibility they'll allow us that much time, but remember who we're dealing with: self-serving politicians. From all of us at Speedworld, thank you for your continued support over the past 52 years. We could not have gone on this long without this support, and we sincerely hope that someday soon we'll all be back racing at a new facility. In the meantime, we'll see you at the track! -- Hal Sanguinetti Dragstrip Manager, Publications Manager, Announcer Speedworld Dragstrip, Surprise AZ