NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

No Roll Bar? No Problem!

Two Fangs

Lol mine too! Although I don't think they'll buy it being "unaltered". And 135 is about 25mph too low still. I ran 11.7 at 140 before the new power haha.

Sorry guys, but the "unaltered" part that refers to the other rule specs, means factory stock. No headers, aftermarket CAI, cams, etc. The change is only to accomodate the recent high HP cars from the factory. Not cars that are modded for more power. Since the Z06 factory specs for 1/4 mile times is 11.7 @ 125, that is why it wasn't included going back to the '06 MY.

Since the Z06 factory specs for 1/4 mile times is 11.7 @ 125, that is why it wasn't included going back to the '06 MY.

Shows how stupid they are as the Z is no more unsafe than a ZR1.

Since the Z06 factory specs for 1/4 mile times is 11.7 @ 125, that is why it wasn't included going back to the '06 MY.

Shows how stupid they are as the Z is no more unsafe than a ZR1.

So by that reasoning, should they have included an LS2 also? A line has to be drawn somewhere and the Z06 didn't make the cut. Only a very few have run quicker than 11.5 in factory stock form and then only in special conditions with excellent experienced drivers. If you could run mid 10's bone stock, you wouldn't had to spend a ton of money to do it.

A lot of people like to deomonize NHRA for safety rules, but please keep in mind that they are just trying to keep people safe. Mechanical failure or a low performance driver can make for a really bad day at those speeds and nobody likes a roll bar until they need it.

Well i run in the 10's with no grief and will continue to do so. Now if someone wants to complain and stop that well karma is a bitch!

Kinda defensive are we? I don't care if you run 9's naked. I was just mentioning what the NHRA rules are. If you have a problem with that, then bitch to them.

A lot of people like to deomonize NHRA for safety rules, but please keep in mind that they are just trying to keep people safe. Mechanical failure or a low performance driver can make for a really bad day at those speeds and nobody likes a roll bar until they need it.

I was really against roll bars until I saw your LPM Camaro. I wouldn't mind one if it was that one! Killer setup.

I was really against roll bars until I saw your LPM Camaro. I wouldn't mind one if it was that one! Killer setup.

Thanks Drew. It does look really nice with that CF hydro dip treatment.

I just got off the phone with an authority and have the definitive answer of the roll bar rule. The term "unaltered" means absolutely zero changes from the way the car came from the factory, according to the lawyers who wrote the rule. Unfortunately, the lawyers wrote it for liability reasons and left the NHRA to define the limitations allowed. However, when the top NHRA tech officials at the Div 7 tech session were questioned on the definition by dragstrip operators, they didn't have an answer. Since the rule is in the book and NHRA can't define the specifics, it's left to the track operator's discretion and interpretation. So if you show up with tinted windows on your ZR1 and the tech guy says you need a rollbar, then you don't get to play. On the other hand, if the tech guy says it's OK to run low 10's with your stripped '90 CRX with NOS and no rollbar, then why worry about the new rule.

So by that reasoning, should they have included an LS2 also? A line has to be drawn somewhere and the Z06 didn't make the cut. Only a very few have run quicker than 11.5 in factory stock form and then only in special conditions with excellent experienced drivers. If you could run mid 10's bone stock, you wouldn't had to spend a ton of money to do it.

If a LS2 was a car then sure. The LS2 is a motor, not a car and can be found in a few vehicles. If you mean all C6 years then yes they are all just as safe as the '08 and newer.

They should have decided on '06 and newer as nobody likes the '05s anyways. haha

Instead they want us to cage the cars we drive on the street 90% of the time where the cages are more dangerous as we're not wearing helmets. That's like requiring safeties for guns only when they're taken to the range.

I might just run 9's naked!

Ouch! At least put shoes on. The pedals are hard on the feet.

After consulting the rulebook, he is, at that point, no longer unaltered. :facepalm:

If a LS2 was a car then sure. The LS2 is a motor, not a car and can be found in a few vehicles. If you mean all C6 years then yes they are all just as safe as the '08 and newer.

They should have decided on '06 and newer as nobody likes the '05s anyways. haha

Instead they want us to cage the cars we drive on the street 90% of the time where the cages are more dangerous as we're not wearing helmets. That's like requiring safeties for guns only when they're taken to the range.

It's not a cage if you're slower than 9.99, just a rollbar. There is a difference. With most rollbars, you can remove the swing-out side bar in two minutes or less and have no intrusions into your personal space. Some whole rollbars can be removed in a couple hours. Mine can be removed in 10 minutes.

If you're going under 9.99 or over 135 then, yes a cage is required. It's the same for an abused beater stripped out Honda POS with a turbo and NOS that runs 9's and driven by a 20-something tweaker.

The bottom line is similar to many other aspects of life. If you want to play, then be prepared to pay.

It's not a cage if you're slower than 9.99, just a rollbar. There is a difference. With most rollbars, you can remove the swing-out side bar in two minutes or less and have no intrusions into your personal space. Some whole rollbars can be removed in a couple hours. Mine can be removed in 10 minutes.

Sure if you think the swing-out side bars are the dangerous part of the cage, then yeah. Here's a hint, look up. Your head comes in contact with that piece of steel you lose. Unless you want to drive with a helmet, plan on creating a more dangerous environment for 90% of your driving.

Look up all the crap people like me will need when trapping 150 to 160.