NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C6 heat and sound insulation installed

VetteSthetics

VetteSthetics

Prior to Corvette at Bondurant this weekend I installed a insulation and sound deadening kit for the Z06. When I bought the car in Aug I noticed it had a super bad drone at highway speed (70-80) that really prevented Mrs. Brown from wanting to go on trips longer then to blockbuster an eight a mile away. That and my right leg has been irreversibly cooked from the heat of the tunnel. I purchased a pre cut insulation kit from Exotic Vettes out of Florida, Dan was awesome getting me my kit on short notice (overnight!!). After the USPS screw up, overnight turned into 2 days :banghead, I was surprised as to the makeup of the kit. Skeptical this material was going to do what it was claiming! after completely removing the front and rear interior (2 hours) I started the insulation of the rear first (2hrs). This was the most complicated part just do to the contours of the rear deck and side walls. The Front was much easier and took an hour. Re install of the interior took 1-2 hrs. The results were awesome. You still get the roar through the gears but not the drone at cruise. Additionally, The heat reduction was awesome! I ran the car hard all weekend at Bondurant and only the inner center console was hot. I suspect that if on a road trip this would be reduced by constant air flow. More pics tomorrow!

VetteSthetics

Here are the other photos! 1-3) interior all out 4) rear install 5) Side 6) Complete front 7) bump and tunnel

VetteSthetics

With standard hand tools and time anyone can do this same mod. Lowes sells the 3M heat tape and the 3M 90 spray adhesive needed for a professional install. The directions assume you have some level of common sense and the ability to think ahead. Biggest part is to not be in a hurry and pre-fit everything. Dan gives you extra sheets of material if you request it. I have enough to do the roof or B pillar if I wanted. I am extremely happy with the results because it did reduce the drone without killing the sound of the Z06 tone going through the gears!!

VetteSthetics

How much did this cost (weight and $$?)

Hey David,Pre cut front and rear kit shipped was shipped for 200 as a holiday special. I think it is 235 normally. Its weight was 5 lbs shipped.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my kit but no instruction. I'm impressed with the cuts.

VetteSthetics

I just got my kit but no instruction. I'm impressed with the cuts.

Did you get it installed after you got the instructions. Let me know how it turned out.

Thanks for the instructions. i did not have time to tackle the install so I'm waiting until tomorrow. I hope.

• 2 months later...

I wonder if this sound barrier will work on my wife : )

With standard hand tools and time anyone can do this same mod. Lowes sells the 3M heat tape and the 3M 90 spray adhesive needed for a professional install. The directions assume you have some level of common sense and the ability to think ahead. Biggest part is to not be in a hurry and pre-fit everything. Dan gives you extra sheets of material if you request it. I have enough to do the roof or B pillar if I wanted.

I am extremely happy with the results because it did reduce the drone without killing the sound of the Z06 tone going through the gears!!