NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Ok, One More And Then I Stop...for Today....

Bigfoot

On this I would say you get what you paid for. Something as important as an air filter, I would only go with something that is tried and true. Best bang for the buck is a Haltech or Blackwing! :2cents

Guest XLR8TNC5
On this I would say you get what you paid for. Something as important as an air filter, I would only go with something that is tried and true. Best bang for the buck is a Haltech or Blackwing! :2cents

I ABSOLUTELY 100% agree with Smitty! However, I run a Haltech air bridge with the $95.00 West Coast Corvette Hurricane Air Filter (Same size s the HALTECH) and have no issues. Same shape and everything.

Lata,

P.S> I edited my post. My intake filter is exactly like the Haltech, not the blackwing. Don't know why I said blackwing when I clearly stated I had the haltech.. sorry.

I dunno; I look around and price check everything out there and it just doesn't seem right to pay $300 to $450 for such a simple piece of equipment.

They are almost simple enough to make at home if you have the gumption. I'm having difficulty trying to justify to myself such a large amount of cash for a simple product. I mean a "Y" tube and a couple filters. I mean are they really worth $300+??????? Heck, some are just add on filters they are charging $200+ for.

Haltech...improved airbridge and filter for around $200...can find them on CF used at times for a lot less.

black wing NEW is around 250.00

The SWEET thing about a black wing is the "The filter is clogged gague"

It comes with a part that when the filter is to dirty and needs to be cleaned the gague will let you know.

cheers chad

Guest XLR8TNC5

If you are freaking out about the price of an intake, you are really going to freak when you decide to do some real mods....

You have to learn anything for a Corvette is overpriced. You just gotta decide if it is worth it to you to have the increased efficiencies and horsepower. Eventually, the sticker shock wears off and you just expect to have to save your pennies a few months to get the things you really want. lol.

I always go through CF first to see if anyone is selling anything used or near new that I may be looking for. After that, I make sure I have great contacts at the pro shops to help me out with package deals and free labor (rather, bartered/trade) for labor rates.

Good luck.

Tanya

Then keep your stock setup...

A little better breathing would be nice, the stock one is ugly as h_ll, and the clamps that hold the stock one closed keep popping open.

Well this is how I look at it....If you buy a "cheapie" that has not been tested, then you stand the risk of letting dirt and other contaminents into your MAF and motor, and we all know how much the repair bill can be for those items, Vette tax included! :willy So as the old adage goes..."you can pay me now or you can pay me later"! I just noticed a complete Vortex system on CF for $250.00, shroud and all. I've seen Haltech's and Blackwingfor as little as $75.00, as a matter of fact I think Angie picked up one of those. Ok I'm off my soapbox now! Good luck in finding what suits your needs. :thumbs

Tim

If you are freaking out about the price of an intake, you are really going to freak when you decide to do some real mods....

You have to learn anything for a Corvette is overpriced. You just gotta decide if it is worth it to you to have the increased efficiencies and horsepower. Eventually, the sticker shock wears off and you just expect to have to save your pennies a few months to get the things you really want. lol.

I always go through CF first to see if anyone is selling anything used or near new that I may be looking for. After that, I make sure I have great contacts at the pro shops to help me out with package deals and free labor (rather, bartered/trade) for labor rates.

Good luck.

Tanya

Not really freaking out about the vettetax...for the most part. Just this air intake one (actually just an air filter) seems ridiculous to me.

Reallistically the Blackwing is just a filter with an indicator on it. What makes it cost minimum of $250? :eek

:thumbs Still looking, but man alive...$250 for a filter... :eek

Not really freaking out about the vettetax...for the most part. Just this air intake one (actually just an air filter) seems ridiculous to me.

Reallistically the Blackwing is just a filter with an indicator on it. What makes it cost minimum of $250? :eek

Blackwing was by far the best seat of the pants improvement in my ls1 but then I don't have headers. Throttle response improvment was amazing.

Check this out on Ebay 200015032591 Blackwing for less then $100. :thumbs Robert :burnout

:thumbs Thanks, been looking around on ebay for one. Did not see this one for some reason. Watching another one as well, but he does not take paypal. Very hesitant to buy without protection of some sort. Been ripped off before.

Good luck.

Tanya

$250 is childs play - i paid almost $300 for a polished filter system with dual filters for my 1995 chevy truck - just spend the money!

I understand that the Blackwing requires no tuning what-so-ever, its bolt on improvement.

I bought the Vararam because I wanted to be 100% sure that the air source was on the outside of the car.

Witht he blackwing the car has to travel a little more then 0.5 miles to purge the hot air with fresh cool air.

At the track you need the cold air during the launch, that's why I made my crazy decisions, :yesnod

Good luck.

I had the twin-cone set-up, looked neat, teally did nothing. Considered a cheaper intake, however it had K&N filters. Replaced with the Halltech Stinger (comes with the airbridge also), I did the fresh air mod also. I noticed a difference :bang

I bought mine for less than 2 bills from Halltech. Best reasonable cost mod you can do :thumbs

Gonna try and get that one off ebay. If sucessful, where do I buy the cleaner?

I got my cleaner at Extreme but I'd check with Mike/Chad at AZP&S to see if they stock it or can get it. If not MidAmerica or some of the other CF vendors carry it.

Congrats!!! Piece of mind should help make it worth it, and the seat of the pants change :burnout should help also!