NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Is Rim Weight A Big Deal??

Mark321

I wanted to add some bling-bling to my Z06 and replace the gunmetal gray alloys with some chrome C5 or similar. I have heard that if replacement rims weigh just a few pounds more than the stock alloys, it can make a big difference on handling and acceleration & braking. This is because rotational weight of the rim is 5-10 times the static weight of the rim. So if a replacement rim weighs 10 pounds over stock, 10x4=40 and 40pounds times a rotational force of 10 is like adding 400 pounds of weight at cruise speed. Is this true or is it a bunch of :bs ??

I don't want to spend over a G only to be unhappy with the result :bang

Does anyone have any experience in this?????

Guest Sidewinder

Lighter wheels & tires do have a very small additional benefit due to the lower amount of power required to rotate them (true of all rotating components). I don't think you will notice a difference. :thumbs

If you do notice a difference, just add more ponies under the hood! Chad and the boy's at AZP&S would be more than glad to help you out with that!!! :yesnod

I was thinking about getting chrome wheels too. I chose to drop the wagon wheels and run flats for SSR's and non run flats. I don't get the bling factor I wanted, but I lost a lot of weight on each wheel & tire and was able to notice a difference. But that difference was noticed @ the track & not in everyday driving. If you don't track your car I would go for the bling.

Jim