NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

1987 Stereo In Need Of Some Serious Help

Guest fasteddy

Guest fasteddy

I posted this on corvette forum too, but I forgot on this board there is a stereo guru that I can probably purchase from....

Ok, so I just got my 1987 Vette coupe a little over a month ago, and I think I finally have all the bugs worked out mechanically, so I am ready to start tinkering with the stereo.

The current setup is as follows. I am not sure when this items were installed or by whom.

Deck - Sony CDX C5850

Door Speakers - Boston Acoustics CX4 4"

Rear Speakers - Boston Acoustics CX93 6"x9"

Dash Speakers - Unknown (not even sure if they are hooked up)

From the research I have done, it looks like this is all decent stuff, obviously old, but decent.

However, at the current time it sounds like complete garbage!!! The stock stereo in my base Honda Accord sounded better.

I am not sure if it is do to it being old and worn out, or if it was not installed properly, or whatever. All I know is that I want it to sound better.

So, please help me. I don't have an enormous budget (say no more than $750), but on the same token, I do not want a show stopping stereo, I just want something that sounds pretty good.

I downloaded the manual for the deck and it has front and rear RCA pre-amp outs, so I could grab a decent amp, and throw some power at the existing speakers. How do you think that would sound?

Also, I guess, I could get a new deck and all new speakers of the same size as exist, and hope that gets me close to where I want to be assuming the existing is old technology and worn out.

Or, I can try and shoe horn a larger speaker into the door somehow, with a new deck and new rears.

As you can see I am all over the place.

Any help or advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan

Guest AZ Power & Sound
I posted this on corvette forum too, but I forgot on this board there is a stereo guru that I can probably purchase from....

Ok, so I just got my 1987 Vette coupe a little over a month ago, and I think I finally have all the bugs worked out mechanically, so I am ready to start tinkering with the stereo.

The current setup is as follows. I am not sure when this items were installed or by whom.

Deck - Sony CDX C5850

Door Speakers - Boston Acoustics CX4 4"

Rear Speakers - Boston Acoustics CX93 6"x9"

Dash Speakers - Unknown (not even sure if they are hooked up)

From the research I have done, it looks like this is all decent stuff, obviously old, but decent.

However, at the current time it sounds like complete garbage!!! The stock stereo in my base Honda Accord sounded better.

I am not sure if it is do to it being old and worn out, or if it was not installed properly, or whatever. All I know is that I want it to sound better.

So, please help me. I don't have an enormous budget (say no more than $750), but on the same token, I do not want a show stopping stereo, I just want something that sounds pretty good.

I downloaded the manual for the deck and it has front and rear RCA pre-amp outs, so I could grab a decent amp, and throw some power at the existing speakers. How do you think that would sound?

Also, I guess, I could get a new deck and all new speakers of the same size as exist, and hope that gets me close to where I want to be assuming the existing is old technology and worn out.

Or, I can try and shoe horn a larger speaker into the door somehow, with a new deck and new rears.

As you can see I am all over the place.

Any help or advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan

Sony decks are complete crap if youre not running an external amplifier so id bet thats where most of your issue is coming through... the rest is probably installation. With the factory Bose system you really have to rewire the entire car with fresh wires to escape it completely, so if that has been done, id say snag a cheap pioneer head unit and stick with the speakers you have, should sound good when its all done! Only thing you might want to add after that is some bass caps on the front 4 inch speakers which would allow you to turn the rears up a bit more, and then add a small sub