NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

clear coat problems

C4orce2

A lot of you have seen how the clear coat on top of poly rear section on my car has fadded. Most paint guys have told me there is little that can be done short of repainting that section. I ran into a guy at a car show recently that told me about a product that would remove the fadded clear coat and then put down a good polish so it matches the rest of the car. Have any of you ever heard about such a product or do you have any other ideas. I do not want to try and match the color and have just the rear section repainted, nor do I want to repaint the entire car at this point. Any suggestions would be welcome. :willy Thanks, Larry

I remember talking to you about it a long time ago. If I remember correctly, the clear coat is in the process of failing. Usually this is terminal due to if the fading is polished off, there's not enough clear coat left to protect it. However, the Opti Coat 2.0 might be able to replace the removed clear coat. It certainly MIGHT give you some time to decide. Do you have a current photo?

I haven't seen it, pictures? Remember there is 400 snake oil salesman out there wanting your money, anything you do may look good just long enough for you to hand over your wallet. Clear coat is just another layer of paint, if it's fading then that means it wasn't mixed right to begin with or surface prep was bad and oxygen has gotten into it to oxidize the paint. Smearing lemon pledge on it will give you a nice shine but nothing will ever return the clear coat to it original color... Have you talked to the original painter to see if he'll help fix it for less than a full reprint ??? If you do have to reliant, just remember what Moses said as he stood on the mountain.... :Orange:

I haven't seen it, pictures?

Remember there is 400 snake oil salesman out there wanting your money, anything you do may look good just long enough for you to hand over your wallet.

Clear coat is just another layer of paint, if it's fading then that means it wasn't mixed right to begin with or surface prep was bad and oxygen has gotten into it to oxidize the paint. Smearing lemon pledge on it will give you a nice shine but nothing will ever return the clear coat to it original color...

Have you talked to the original painter to see if he'll help fix it for less than a full reprint ???

If you do have to reliant, just remember what Moses said as he stood on the mountain.... :Orange:

I've often wondered where Orange came from in the first place. I now believe that when the clear coat on Dark Red Metalic (like on C4orce2)fades, fails and gets ugly, the end result is ORANGE!! I guess in a few years my car may end up Orange, in which case I will have no other options then to shoot it and put it out of its missery. :banghead

In any event, thanks for your input. I seriously doubted that anything could be done. I'll just wait for the total repaint, which will occur long before the whole car turns Orange!!

And at the same time, there's nothing wrong going to Ted's. Picking out a spot and trying the Opti Coat 2.0 on it.. I'll make sure to tell my orange vette that a slow vette said orange was ugly... Have you seen my licenses plate ????

I'll make sure to tell my orange vette that a slow vette said orange was ugly... Have you seen my licenses plate ????

VETTE FIGHT!! woot!!

And at the same time, there's nothing wrong going to Ted's. Picking out a spot and trying the Opti Coat 2.0 on it..

I'll make sure to tell my orange vette that a slow vette said orange was ugly... Have you seen my licenses plate ????

Sorry Dawg, I've never seen your license plate. Guess I've never been behind you in my slow C4!! :smilelol

I remember talking to you about it a long time ago. If I remember correctly, the clear coat is in the process of failing. Usually this is terminal due to if the fading is polished off, there's not enough clear coat left to protect it. However, the Opti Coat 2.0 might be able to replace the removed clear coat. It certainly MIGHT give you some time to decide. Do you have a current photo?

Thanks Ted. On a serious note, I'll give you a call sometime and maybe we will try the Opti Coat 2.0 on a small part of the problem and see how it works. I'd rather have you try it then me since I know I'd screw it up on my own. Thanks.

Sorry Dawg, I've never seen your license plate. Guess I've never been behind you in my slow C4!! :smilelol

or so far behind you couldn't see it...... I have. ETMYDST ... eat my dust

or so far behind you couldn't see it...... I have. ETMYDST ... eat my dust

I'm sure that is it. There is only so much that you can do with an old car like mine! :facepalm:

That old car has more power than mine, are you saying its the driver that's slow?? :lol

That old car has more power than mine, are you saying its the driver that's slow?? :lol

I've been called worse. :banghead