NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

WTB 5.7x28mm Ammo

92ZR1Wannabe

Just bought a nice little FN 5.7, looking for some ammo (nobody in town has any atm). Want to take it shooting friday, was hoping to score some ammo via private sale. Let me know! Thanks

I just found a thread on Arizona Shooting.com. Someone asking the same question.

No sure deals, but some said check the following:

Locally, sometimes Sportsmens Warehouse comes through. Call them first to be sure.

Scottsdale Gun Club usually had it, although they were charging about $10 more per box for it the last time I was there.

UN Ammo used to have it, however I have not seen it for some time.

I just looked at the UN Ammo website and it's not listed, but they are local and might call them.

http://www.unammo.com/

Looks like someone is about to start the long and never ending task of reloading. Best hobby ever if you plan on doing any serious amount of shooting or if you like to shoot anything other than the major calibers.

Looks like someone is about to start the long and never ending task of reloading. Best hobby ever if you plan on doing any serious amount of shooting or if you like to shoot anything other than the major calibers.

HAHA I was actually thinking the exact same thing after scouring the internet last night for ammo.

I did find several places that currently have the 5.7x28mm in stock, however I think it's time to start looking at reloading.

From my understanding, the 5.7 is a very tempermental round. Most do not recommend reloading this particular round for safety reasons. It is becoming hard to come by. I sent an email to FNH asking them about it and they said they are producing them as fast as they can but sales are through the roof because of the 'political climate'. :lol I bought some rounds about a month ago from cabelas but I'm not sure if they still have any.

Boy, glad I didn't have the money to buy one of these when I saw it at the BX a couple weeks ago. Next time I'm in there, I'll ask and see if they have any...but their ammo prices suck in tehre.

From my understanding, the 5.7 is a very tempermental round. Most do not recommend reloading this particular round for safety reasons.

It is becoming hard to come by. I sent an email to FNH asking them about it and they said they are producing them as fast as they can but sales are through the roof because of the 'political climate'. :lol

I bought some rounds about a month ago from cabelas but I'm not sure if they still have any.

I just watched a great video on the ins and outs of reloading this round. Due to the small case it is VERY sensitive to minor deviations of charge (like +-.1 gram slight). Additionally the brass has a special coating on it that must be prepared with care as to not damage it. Other than that it seems that if you have the correct equipment and good attention to detail it is very doable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg9ok2_nM9Q

Boy, glad I didn't have the money to buy one of these when I saw it at the BX a couple weeks ago.

Next time I'm in there, I'll ask and see if they have any...but their ammo prices suck in tehre.

Yea it is without a doubt a "want to have" and not a "have to have". My brother has had one for a few years and its a blast to shoot.

found many boxes of those rounds in a house fire and kept them...wouldn't trust 'em to give them to someone though, surprisingly, I don't have a firearm that shoots them.

As with any other reloading, following strict assembly numbers such as case OAL, Ogive, charge measurements are always paramount. If a round is made, it can be loaded at home with the right tools and patience. This is not to say that someone should go find some 5.7 brass that has been shot and throw it through a die. When I say reload, I am talking about starting with store bought, never fired brass. That is the only way to know with absolute certainty that the brass has the strength to withstand reloading.

found many boxes of those rounds in a house fire and kept them...wouldn't trust 'em to give them to someone though, surprisingly, I don't have a firearm that shoots them.

Lol thats some pretty decent luck (if you want to call it that). The ammo right now is very difficult to find, although I finally did scrape some up on backpage and am picking it up tonight after work.

As with any other reloading, following strict assembly numbers such as case OAL, Ogive, charge measurements are always paramount. If a round is made, it can be loaded at home with the right tools and patience. This is not to say that someone should go find some 5.7 brass that has been shot and throw it through a die. When I say reload, I am talking about starting with store bought, never fired brass. That is the only way to know with absolute certainty that the brass has the strength to withstand reloading.

I have been interested in reloading for some time, it might be a good time for me to start putting together some equipment and looking at it a little more seriously. I fire a couple of rounds that home reloading should be able to save me some $$ on (7mm Rem Mag, 44mag, 357mag ect). But your right, I am paranoid enough that I would want to buy new never fired brass for the FN.

I reloaded for 40 years And have had very little problems with Spent Brass. some Caliber's have thinner brass, some military brass is a PIA to load, and steel casings is generally a no no. good equipment and paying attention is important.

I reloaded for 40 years And have had very little problems with Spent Brass. some Caliber's have thinner brass, some military brass is a PIA to load, and steel casings is generally a no no. good equipment and paying attention is important.

The only issue with used brass in the 5.7x28mm caliber is the coating on the brass begins to wear and come off. You can't / shouldn't clean the brass with anything abrasive (tumbler or what have you). Once this coating starts to peel you can develop feed issues with the weapons that fire them. Other than that from what I have read / watched its pretty much making sure the brass is within spec and loading your charge as accurately as you can (like any other round).

I'm just not willing to take the risk of destroying a very expensive handgun or hand to save a few bucks. I'm very interested in reloading, but I'll leave these little rockets to the pros.