NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Gears / Torque Converter?

BGDDYKWL

I recently purchased a 2000 Vette, and was considering a rear end gear swap for a little more punch off the line. It's an automatic, and I currently have 3.15s. I'm thinking something around 3.73-4.10 would be perfect, as it is a daily driver. I figure this is the best "bang for your buck" modification, as I put 5.13s in my Chevelle a few years back, and that was just ridiculous. Not great on the freeways though. I know an entire rear end swap will run me a decent amount of money, but I know when I changed the gears in my Chevelle I just did exactly that, and kept everything else the same. That only ran me about $400-$500 installed. I've looked around and haven't seen anything mentioned about just switching the gears in a Corvette. Where could I get them (I think I got the ones for my Chevelle in a GM parts catalog) preferably new, and about how much should I expect them to cost? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Also, I've been told that going with something along the lines of a Yank 3200 TC will also significantly improve performance. How will going with this TC affect the driveability of the car, and what could I expect to spend including installation?

Does one of these options clearly make sense over the other, or perhaps are both worth doing? I'm trying to stick with modifications that aren't too wild, and also somewhat affordable.

I recently purchased a 2000 Vette, and was considering a rear end gear swap for a little more punch off the line. It's an automatic, and I currently have 3.15s. I'm thinking something around 3.73-4.10 would be perfect, as it is a daily driver. I figure this is the best "bang for your buck" modification, as I put 5.13s in my Chevelle a few years back, and that was just ridiculous. Not great on the freeways though. I know an entire rear end swap will run me a decent amount of money, but I know when I changed the gears in my Chevelle I just did exactly that, and kept everything else the same. That only ran me about $400-$500 installed. I've looked around and haven't seen anything mentioned about just switching the gears in a Corvette. Where could I get them (I think I got the ones for my Chevelle in a GM parts catalog) preferably new, and about how much should I expect them to cost? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Also, I've been told that going with something along the lines of a Yank 3200 TC will also significantly improve performance. How will going with this TC affect the driveability of the car, and what could I expect to spend including installation?

Does one of these options clearly make sense over the other, or perhaps are both worth doing? I'm trying to stick with modifications that aren't too wild, and also somewhat affordable.

:lol None of it is affordable! J/K I don't know about the gears, but I was just quoted around $750-800 for the TC and $500 for the install. :eek Plus you'll probably need a trans cooler as well for another couple hunnerd. :toetap Anyway, I'm waiting for Santa...and then I'm throwing on all this crap that I've amassed in my garage.

The Gear Ratio change will give you the best seat of the pants change for you money. I went from 2.73 to 3.42s in a 99 I had. You mentioned that you currently have 3.15s already, so you will be able to upgrade just the gears to 3.73 or 4.10s. It is suggested to upgrage a higher stall converter also. It will be cheaper to do it all at one.

I would suggest calling Chad@ArizonaPower&Sound. He is on this forum also.

Guest Sidewinder

We went from 2.73's to 3.42's and a YANK SS 3200 converter on Tanya's '98. We got the 'verter used off of Corvette Forum from a guy taking it out of his Tahoe and the rearend from a low miles Z06. The car pulls hard now, I would recomend this setup to anyone who asked me. It drives like a stock C5 until you stand on it. :yesnod

Guest Chad@AZPS

:agree We have had good experiences with gears and converter. Please give us a call and we can get you setup.

Chad