NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C - 2 Gas pedal removal

Red64

I was installing a new gas pedal on my '64 yesterday. I tried to remove the two screws that hold the pedal assembly to the floor and could not remove them. They felt like they just spinning around and did not back out. Could not find any information on how or what these screws are attached to the body(?) Any suggestions?

There is a nut plate that is riveted to the floor. If the screws are just spinning it means the nuts have become unwelded to the plate. Get under the car with a pair of vise grips and have another person give the screws a twist. If they are original screws you might as well just drill the heads off and order all new hardware. You can bring it over if you need a hand

There is a nut plate that is riveted to the floor. If the screws are just spinning it means the nuts have become unwelded to the

plate.

Get under the car with a pair of vise grips and have another person give the screws a twist.

If they are original screws you might as well just drill the heads off and order all new hardware.

You can bring it over if you need a hand

Thanks! I will try the vice grip "method" and hopefully that will do it. Seems like the simple projects are never that simple. I will let you know if I was successful or I might be taking you up on your offer. Since I am new to the club what's the best way to contact you?

The nuts are welded to a heat sheild bracket. If the nuts are just turning, do as mentioned above. After you turn or cut them to release the screws or bolts, replace them them with new nuts and bolts - unless you're restoring and need original look. Yeah, I know, my bolts are a bit too long and the exhaust pipe needs cleaning...

Dave

Posted Image

Bromley's Corvettes

The simple projects are never that simple lol. Just do what ever it takes to get those bolts out and replace them. You could have new nuts spot welded to the plate if needed.