NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

2007 headlight peeling

Kyle

The 2007 is just picked up has an issue with the headlights. They have a clear, UV coating?, that is peeling from the center out. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem? It doesn't look like an aftermarket coating to protect from rocks. what should I use to get the rest of the coating off? Have heard of using toothpaste to clean headlights that are getting hazy, but these aren't hazy YET... Thanks, Kyle

Ok, gotta ask this question. Did you have a clear bra/film applied over the light lens at any point in time? That makes the lens too hot and hastens the hazing/crazing.

JLs Mistress

Ok, gotta ask this question. Did you have a clear bra/film applied over the light lens at any point in time? That makes the lens too hot and hastens the hazing/crazing.

That is bad news for me because I love my tinted head Light covers....Is this the kind of thing that happens in 6 months or 6 years ???

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

The 2007 is just picked up has an issue with the headlights. They have a clear, UV coating?, that is peeling from the center out.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem? It doesn't look like an aftermarket coating to protect from rocks.

what should I use to get the rest of the coating off? Have heard of using toothpaste to clean headlights that are getting hazy, but these aren't hazy YET...

Thanks,

Kyle

Hey Kyle whats up,

well i've seen and dealt with these types of issues before. Most times lights are clear coated for UV protection, the thing is, the clear coat on your lights is no different than the clear coat on your car, it still needs protection and care to keep from failing and peeling (like yours is).

At this point, the coating you have on it is flaking, so now the bare plastic is exposed and that is when yellowing starts to occur most times (especially with AZ sun).

As someone suggested above, sanding away the current coating is the best option (and cheaper than a new light for sure) and then polish it to get it back to being totally clear. The part that was not mentioned however is by doing that, even though the light is clear, it is still unprotected and leaves the plastic lamp exposed...so within a couple months or so (depending on UV exposure), it will start to yellow again.

What to do? Well, when we restore faded/peeling headlights, we completely sand and polish the lights and then we apply a UV protectant to the light to not only restore maximum clarity and gloss but to keep it from fading again in just a few months. Usually you can get a minimum of 2 years from our process, sometimes longer if properly cared for (don't wash with heavy detergents, scrub with abrasives or do anything else that will thin or wear away the coating prematurely.)

Here's an example of a 96' Lincoln Town Car who's headlights we restored.

It initially only had minor peeling, kind of like yours:

Posted Image

So we sanded off all the old coating to get an even finish:

Posted Image

For this one we had to actually start with 500 grit, then refine it by going to 1000,2000,3000. After 3000 we got them to this point:

Posted Image

Then after polishing and removing all left over polish residue, we applied the coating/sealant...here's how they turned out:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I did them about 1 1/2 years ago, and this car gets driven daily and sits outside in the sun during work hours and so far they are still holding up :)

Note this process doesn't remove deep scratches (scratches deep into the plastic), pitting or rock chips completely, but it does completely clear them up and the sealant assures that they will stay that way for a good time to come :)

Good write up! But regardless of whether the lenses are protected or not, lenes are still going to fade/fog/discolor in the extreme elements we have here.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Good write up! But regardless of whether the lenses are protected or not, lenes are still going to fade/fog/discolor in the extreme elements we have here.

Eventually most times they will yes, but having to redo them every 2-3 years for $50-75 for the pair is a lot better than either having to have them re-polished every 2-3 MONTHS, or dropping several hundred dollars on a whole new light.

The BEST thing I've come across so far is, before they get all faded, use Opti-Coat 2.0 on them. Any job we do where we are opti-coating the car, we do it on the rims/trim and lights as well. Its essentially adding another layer of clear to protect your car and it doesn't fade or wash away eventually like a wax or sealant. If you OC before the lights start fading, you greatly reduce, if not eliminate any chance of fading.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Thats for everyones help....

So your saying its ~$50-$75 for the pair for your company to do the work?

Yup yup. We've done quite a few polish out jobs for ACE members, we have a pretty good rep. on here :). If you want to set something up just shoot me a PM or call/text me at 480-201-6270 and we can work on getting that crap off of your lights

That is bad news for me because I love my tinted head Light covers....Is this the kind of thing that happens in 6 months or 6 years ???

The tinting should actually protect it. I assume it was painted?