NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Voltage while running

Guest fasteddy

Guest fasteddy

I was wondering what the typical voltage should be when running on my 87. Most of my other cars have relatively high voltage 13-14+ while its running, however, on my Vette it runs anywhere from 11.2-12.0. The battery just died the other day, so this voltage is measured with a brand new battery, on the fabulous 80's digital dash.

Thanks.

I don't know about the C4's but my C5 runs about where you said your previous cars ran 13-14 volts.

Guest Chad@AZPS

I would get out a volt meter and check the voltage at the battery and the alternator. You might have something else going bad or there might be a small draw.

Chad

I was wondering what the typical voltage should be when running on my 87. Most of my other cars have relatively high voltage 13-14+ while its running, however, on my Vette it runs anywhere from 11.2-12.0. The battery just died the other day, so this voltage is measured with a brand new battery, on the fabulous 80's digital dash.

Thanks.

That is a pretty low charge, and it would go down even more if the lights, A/C and/or other acc. is on. It's no wonder the battery was dead, if it is running at 11-12 then it is basically just running off the battery. Like Chad said, check the alt. Something is not right and electrical is always the trickiest....

Andrew

I believe my '87 is at 13.4 at idle and 13.9 with full load and 50ish MPH. But I will verify that later and post tonite.

I believe my '87 is at 13.4 at idle and 13.9 with full load and 50ish MPH. But I will verify that later and post tonite.

my '85 used to run between 12.9 and almost 14 volts depending on load (like both fans and a/c etc.)

my 99 now runs between 12.5 (sometimes lower) to just over 13 (again depending on load) when i get over 226* it seems taht the voltage drops more - i "think" thats when my second fan comes on (or i am going to assume it comes on then) as i already have a huge draw with the electric water pump.

Guest Kens06

WAY TOO LOW!!

13.9-14.2 is normal!!

Check @ battery posts with meter and at alternator!!

Back off, clean, then retorque your main ground connection!!

DC eats up ground connections!

Just my .02

Ken

92ZR1Wannabe
WAY TOO LOW!!

13.9-14.2 is normal!!

Check @ battery posts with meter and at alternator!!

Back off, clean, then retorque your main ground connection!!

DC eats up ground connections!

Just my .02

Ken

:agree

I run 13.5ish with the AC on full blast and the headlights on at idle. Going down the road its as much as 14.5 give or take. Thats on a 92.

Guest clement

i had this problem on my 95 and it was just a poor battery connection. the battery wasn't getting properly charged because of the loose connection, so the problem was fixed with a couple of $$ only. but my battery needed replaced anyway after all that, so i opted for a drycell battery. haven't had problems since..

Guest fasteddy

I took it to Autozone to have the alternator tested and they said it was fine. Maybe I'll take it to another Autozone and have it tested again.

Maybe Napa....do they test there for free like autozone?