NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Dude, where's my roof?

Loud Pedal

Well, I took her into Roger at Freeway Chevrolet today to look into the roof delamination problem. Apparently they do have the new panels but they are on backorder. Takes a couple weeks. GM doesn't even want the dealers to reglue them at this point. If it were delaminating at the front I would be more worried about a blow off. I suppose I'll just have to keep it under mach 1 for a while. :driving:

Still waiting to hear about a key fob issue. The other Z that was there last weekend was having the same fob problems. Not very hopefull of a good resolution there.

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Well, I took her into Roger at Freeway Chevrolet today to look into the roof delamination problem. Apparently they do have the new panels but they are on backorder. Takes a couple weeks. GM doesn't even want the dealers to reglue them at this point. If it were delaminating at the front I would be more worried about a blow off. I suppose I'll just have to keep it under mach 1 for a while. :driving:

Still waiting to hear about a key fob issue. The other Z that was there last weekend was having the same fob problems. Not very hopefull of a good resolution there.

I bitched about mine on CF... already had it fixed once... its delaminated again. GMs response was "just dont drive the car until the new tops come in"

I was pretty pissed and thats REALLY making me reconsider buying a new Z06

Mine's been hangin in there......I wish it would blow apart about the time GM has a good inventory of the new ones.....or better yet, my 06 could become a collectors item with the original roof???? hahaha

So I got her back today. Roger states that the GM Field service rep and some kind of regional guy both looked at it. Apparently they contend the delamination is not applicable on the Z06 because it is not a removable top. I mean this thing is so bad I can stick my finger in it, but it only happens when it gets hot and expands. So I have to send him a picture of it when it does. Shouldn't be too hard to get it hot enough here! After that, I don't know what the resolution might be. At least I was assured the top won't blow off, but it sure look stupid when a $75k car has the roof bowed up like pup tent. I was assured that they would get to the bottom of it though and that was a little comforting. We'll see if the General follows through.

As I suspected the key fob 'worked fine' in their tests. I guess I'll have to keep puttsing with it until i get it to lock the key in the car again and take a picture of that too. :banghead They gave me some run around about RF interference. Its inches from the receiver and parked in my garage when this happens.

• 1 month later...

my roof delam'd today. luckily I was only going about 30 when I heard the wind noise from the front. guess the 110 heat finally got to it after 7 months. FWIW, mines a silver '06.

I cannot believe that GM hasn't figured out how to build a quality car yet. My 99 drove me nuts with little gremlins. When it was time for a new ride I tried to talk myself into an 'American' car, a GTO or maybe a CTS, but I ended up with a G35, it ain't perfect by any stretch but after 13 months and 20k, I haven't been back to the dealer once.

They really need to wise up. They need to engineer this stuff properly the first time or at least do anything possible to make it right after the fact. The GM folks are giving you a line of crap - trying to put you off and hope you'll go away. That is how they operate. I have been down this road with them and I got zero satisfaction - had to fix their problems myself.

Stay on them until you either get it fixed or extract your pound of flesh.

Guest intmd8r
I cannot believe that GM hasn't figured out how to build a quality car yet. My 99 drove me nuts with little gremlins. When it was time for a new ride I tried to talk myself into an 'American' car, a GTO or maybe a CTS, but I ended up with a G35, it ain't perfect by any stretch but after 13 months and 20k, I haven't been back to the dealer once.

They really need to wise up. They need to engineer this stuff properly the first time or at least do anything possible to make it right after the fact. The GM folks are giving you a line of crap - trying to put you off and hope you'll go away. That is how they operate. I have been down this road with them and I got zero satisfaction - had to fix their problems myself.

Stay on them until you either get it fixed or extract your pound of flesh.

I couldn't agree more - I've had my FX35 for about a year and a half and never once has it had a mechanical problem. I have had an issue with the CD player, but it was replaced and all is fine. I really love that thing because it's so freaking reliable.

I think that I would love the Vette less were it my daily driver and I had to deal with Chevy on these types of things on a regular basis. But with the limited mileage I drive it, it's not really an issue to me.

Best of luck working with the General, I know from first hand experience as a life-long GM loyalist how frustrating that can be. You would think being as you have an $80k car, they might treat you a little better. :toetap

On a new car there is always the lemon law. A buddy of mine has an RX8 that the dealership is having to take back because they can't fix the tranny.

Guest AZ Power & Sound
So I got her back today. Roger states that the GM Field service rep and some kind of regional guy both looked at it. Apparently they contend the delamination is not applicable on the Z06 because it is not a removable top. I mean this thing is so bad I can stick my finger in it, but it only happens when it gets hot and expands. So I have to send him a picture of it when it does. Shouldn't be too hard to get it hot enough here! After that, I don't know what the resolution might be. At least I was assured the top won't blow off, but it sure look stupid when a $75k car has the roof bowed up like pup tent. I was assured that they would get to the bottom of it though and that was a little comforting. We'll see if the General follows through.

As I suspected the key fob 'worked fine' in their tests. I guess I'll have to keep puttsing with it until i get it to lock the key in the car again and take a picture of that too. :banghead They gave me some run around about RF interference. Its inches from the receiver and parked in my garage when this happens.

Which dealership? I can send you to my guy if you want, saying its not applicable on the Z06 is BS because those are the first cars to have the issue

This was Freeway Chevrolet. They finally caved after I got the official recall notice in the mail. The roof panel is on order now. Thx though. :)

That is the same dealership that gave me all of the headaches on my 99. I'd stay far far away from that place.

On my 99 they replaced the center H-pipe section of my exhaust under warranty - they said the cats were bad. The replacement section made a horrble jingling sound on deceleration - they tried a couple of fixes that didn't work then they started ignoring me. Calling GM Customer Service was a waste of time too. After 6 months of dogging them and writing to the BBB, I finally had enough and spent $800 and put an x-pipe and high flow cats on myself. I wouldn't buy a lug nut at that place!