C6 07 Clutch work

Tim

After some time chasing issues, I'm going to have replace the clutch cylinder. Has any one used this: Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit for 05-08 Corvette C6 & Z06 thanks Tim

Tim, what kind of issues are you chasing? I have a stock clutch master in my car, and it works very well. I have heard good things about the Tick, mainly from the Camaro and Firebird guys, I understand it is a quality product.

joe@cpr.com

i have it in my c5. fun install for sure lol. being a heads/cam car that revs much higher i was getting issues w/ my pedal sticking to the floor, over time it got worse. I finally did the upgrade and love it! If you have any other questions on it please feel free to pm or email me at joe@cordesperformanceracing.com

I've been chasing down the hard shifting and refusal to go in to reverse. I could not find a leak any where. I replaced the upper hoses after finding some fluid on the frame (not very detectable if not for the fact that it was removing paint.

That didn't work so now I'm going to replace cylinder and since I was in there, thought I'd ask about this upgrade as well.

Thanks for the responses.

Tim, what kind of issues are you chasing?

I have a stock clutch master in my car, and it works very well.

I have heard good things about the Tick, mainly from the Camaro and Firebird guys, I understand it is a quality product.

Tick uses tilton cylinders which are some high quality products. Ive put in a few and they have some adjustability and are more consistent than the factory units.

Tim and Andy, are you guys keeping your clutch fluid clean. Google the Ranger Method for an easy fluid change. I had a stuff clutch pedal on the drive home from the Father's day cruise and a fluid swap fixed it.

The masters run around $325. One thing you might want to try first is remove the assist spring on the clutch pedal. It helps some and I really like the more positive feel of the clutch.

I like it without the spring and a stocker, I fought with mine for a long time before finding out it was a bad pressure plate. I have the Tick now and will say it is one hell of a unit that does what it claims to. But had I known the issue was something I had already replaced and thought was fine I probably would not have done it. However the ground work is there that I should never have an issue and it def. does a damn good job... interesting install though.

joe@cpr.com

Agree'd remove the spring, makes the clutch feel a lot better. If you do decide to do the tick master however it's a great upgrade and am really glad I did it.

I swapped the fluid with the Ranger method and it cured to the pedal return problem. I'll removed the return spring next and see how she feels. Thanks for the tips and info guys. :yourock:

Can't speak for the Tick on a Vette, but I put one in my goat. Very heavy clutch, but much increased ability to modulate. It solved my high RPM engagement issues, but could be annoying for a DD or in traffic. Again, that's goat experience. If pedal feel is lighter in the Vette piece, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. If you can, test one out on a member's car first. Also, +1 on keeping fresh fluid in your MC. I was religious about it in my goat, and used a turkey baster. After the Tick MC and SS lines, the fluid didn't foul up anymore (at least not nearly as frequently).

I removed the pedal spring and it has a more positive feel and more return pressure. Thanks for the tips guys!

• 1 month later...

Update: I had the slave replaced and it was OK for about a week then slow it started becoming tougher to shift. Currently it will not go into reverse unless the car is off. Getting it to first is tough and sometimes in possible. Second and Third are ok and going into fourth and fifth are rough and six seems ok. Time for a new clutch? Something easily do able in my garage? Tim

Update: I had the slave replaced and it was OK for about a week then slow it started becoming tougher to shift.

Currently it will not go into reverse unless the car is off. Getting it to first is tough and sometimes in possible. Second and Third are ok and going into fourth and fifth are rough and six seems ok.

Time for a new clutch?

Something easily do able in my garage?

Tim

Only if you can beg BP to come over and help you. Picture dropping the entire driveline; torque tube, tranny, rear diff, and all.

I could help with the picture taking and finger pointing, but has to be on a weekend.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest badbobs95

Oh my, replacing the clutch is a daunting task to say the least. After watching Arnold (aka DomoVeTTe) replace mine a couple months ago, there is no way I'd try to do it without a lift even if I was 25 and in shape! He has done loads of C5 and C6 clutches and it still took him around 4 or 5 hours to complete. It looked like half of the car was laying all over the garage and I thought to myself, he will never get this put back together today. Since you are in Tucson, try Greg Gonzales (Jester) at RPM Corvettes and maybe he can help you out with some advise. Good luck! Posted Image