NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Automatic shift points... Suck

mmacfn

Ok I have a 2007 automatic with the paddles. One thing i consistently notice is a major delay when i tramp on the gas in auto mode. The shift points seem all over the place no matter what mode i put it in. It annoys the hell out of me. Now, it may be that because ive never owned an automatic vehicle in my life im just not used to it....? Also, the paddle shifters are a great idea but so slow to respond they are essentially useless. There has to be a min 3-7 second delay. Is that also just me?

Get an Auto Tune, Purchase HP Tuners, that'll give you the ability to really open up the abilities of the A6

The 2012 Vettes are 100% better. The dealer will flash it for about $150 and you'll maintain you warranty if you have GMPP.

Nic would definitely be my choice if you weren't stock with a GMPP but I think even Nick would admit his tune will void your warranty if GM wants it to. I not so sure they wouldn't void the 100k mi powertrain warranty if you mess with the tranny.

Diablosport Intune tuner is another viable option. It's really easy to switch back and forth between the stock and tuner tunes. Takes about two minutes.

The transmission had a slight change for the '10 MY. No assurance that the later tune will work for your '07. By the same thinking, you may have an issue that a tune won't fix. Since you have a warranty, that should be your first direction. If the warranty doesn't cover the problem now, it won't fix it later either.

Yeah the paddles are slow, Nic's tune would help but if you really think your auto shift points are off then a trip to the dealer may be in order. Have it checked out I case something's wrong, and with your warrenty I would let GM flash it before going aftermarket tune with Nic.

Yeah the paddles are slow, Nic's tune would help but if you really think your auto shift points are off then a trip to the dealer may be in order.

Have it checked out I case something's wrong, and with your warrenty I would let GM flash it before going aftermarket tune with Nic.

I agree the paddles don't react instantly, but they don't take 3-7 seconds either and you can't fix that with a tune.

Shift points obviously vary with throttle position and car speed/rpm. The stock tune shift point tables are higher in Sport mode by 100-300 rpm. I'm not aware of what the later ('09+) tune looks like, so I won't comment on it here. Maybe I should download the latest from the HP Tuners library.

GM changed the stator sometime in very late '09 or early '10, which may be when there was a big change in the tune. Supposedly the stator cured the 2-3 shift, although it's been so long ago that I was stock that I don't remember that being a problem.

The 3-4 shift has always been the biggest concern at WOT for frying clutch plates when increasing power. Until I started running low 11's, I finished the 1/4 in 3rd. I'm hoping a better launch will get me farther downtrack to avoid the 3-4 shift near the end.

The dealer will flash it for about $150 and you'll maintain you warranty if you have GMPP.

Will the dealer negotiate the buck fifty fee?

Don't know about the fee, it was Mikey that had Vans do it to his 2011 GS.

$150.00 seems pretty steep for a reflash, Wonder if they will do it for $25.00 while you wait in their lounge and eat all their food. Be sure to point out that dent/scratch in your quarter panel that you had when you pulled in, tell them that wasn't there and you want it fixed! Or Else!

$150.00 seems pretty steep for a reflash, Wonder if they will do it for $25.00 while you wait in their lounge and eat all their food. Be sure to point out that dent/scratch in your quarter panel that you had when you pulled in, tell them that wasn't there and you want it fixed! Or Else!

Hey Mike, what Ed (Blew X U) is trying to say is.... give him a call!!!

Guest Sidewinder

Between the lines!! Love it Ed!

If I bring mine in can you make it shift like a Buick? :lol

No appt needed Eddie! I have a sticker w/your name on it too.

No appt needed Eddie! I have a sticker w/your name on it too.

You just leave my butt alone!

Sounds good.

Ill call the dealer and try and set it up

Seriously, call Ed at Coulter or shoot him a PM, he'll make sure the right people work on it and watch it like a hawk while its there

Seriously, call Ed at Coulter or shoot him a PM, he'll make sure the right people work on it and watch it like a hawk while its there

Or he'll post a pic of you getting into a SRX and shame you in front of your friends. Either way Ed will enjoy your visit.

contacted ed but there are no current options for upgrade. Might just have to wait out the extended warrently

contacted ed but there are no current options for upgrade. Might just have to wait out the extended warrently

Isn't that like being stuck in a bad marriage and waiting for your partner to die?