NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Rick's C6 Victory Red Vette Detailed - lots of pics :)

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

When you look up 'hard paint' on wikipedia there should just be a photo of a Corvette. We've got a few of this bad boys under our belts now but, still every once in a while a curve ball is thrown at us...in this case...it was the hood...i'll explain.

Rick had seen some of our work via write ups, but was still up in the air about who to hire to polish out his beloved C6. From what he told us, he almost hired Euro Detail out here in Arizona, but after talking with another club member, who spoke highly of our work (as we had done his Z06), he decided to give us a call.

His car may have been many things, but dirty it was not. It was obvious he was very particular about his car, but the hood, the hood is what bothered him! We took a look at it when we first got there and could see right away what he was talking about, there were some very deep scratches/swirls in the paint. The whole car was covered in them, but the center point of the hood turned out to be the worst by far (we found that out part way through the detail).

But first thing as first, had to wash it and prep it to get it ready for polishing. So tires, rims and wells were cleaned first...followed by stripping the paint of any old wax and then claying the car free of any bonded contaminants.

Posted Image

Foam time!

Lots of clearance...

Posted Image

After they were done it was time to do the prep wash...gotta remove the license plate though, there is always lots of dirt hidden up behind there:

Posted Image

Posted Image

See, told ya...nasty stuff

Posted Image

Half way through our wash a truck drove by...and what was written on the back window was too damn funny to not get a picture of lol:

Posted Image

Ah love, isn't it grand? I say freedom = ex-swirls lol

You could tell he kept the car waxed...the water beaded up very nicely. But a waxed car is not enough....wax doesn't eliminate these:

Posted Image

And these were what we were there to get rid of.

After examining the car...the consensus was....there were swirls....LOTS of them....everywhere:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see above there was also a bit of damage beyond our repair...looked like someone had bumped into the Vette from behind and left some nice wrinkles in the paint....

Posted Image

Big swirls...

and little swirls:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/SunGunSwirls12.jpg

And the good ole hood..

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/SunGunSwirls11.jpg

These here were quite deep as well...

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/SunGunSwirls10.jpg

Not so pretty...

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/SunGunSwirls9.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/SunGunSwirls7.jpg

These weren't half steppin' either

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/SunGunSwirls1.jpg

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

We even found these little suckers hiding between the bottom runner near the rear passenger tire...how they got in there i dont know but they sure were fun to get out without scratching the paint:

Posted Image

So, by now i think you get the idea...though it was pampered...it still was in pretty bad shape. Paint in this condition didn't make Rick happy, didn't make us happy and damn sure didn't make the Vette happy! But it's ok....thats why we were there.

As always our first step would be to tape off a test spot and figure out what combo of machine/pad/product and technique would work best.

Posted Image

My sister Dani who was taping off all the trim did the honors of taping off my test spot so i could get our process dialed in while she finished up the remainder of the taping.

After testing our test area with a new microfiber cutting pad along with a cutting compound, it knocked down the swirls quite well...but as was expected, a VERY light haze was left. This is why lighting is SO important...under most circumstances...the paint would have looked awesome as if all defects had been removed, but having multiple light sources we were able to see the haze...which is why we always follow up with a second polishing step to further refine the paint.

The results of this will speak for themselves i think...here is a side by side before and after shot:

Posted Image

THAT is what red is suppose to look like.

A couple deeper ones still remained along the tape line, but they would come out when working on the undone section of the hood, as we always overlap a few inches into the section that we have already worked on, just to make sure if we did miss anything or if there were a few being stubborn, they would still get worked out:

Posted Image

All n' all, the test spot was showing many good things to come, here is a 50/50 shot of the test spot:

Posted Image

One more look...this was before:

Posted Image

WOW!

And this was after:

Posted Image

Much clearer don't you think?

We continued to make our way around the car, I was doing the compounding as usual and Dani was doing the final polishing.

We kept running into these....

Posted Image

But made them look like this:

Posted Image

Here she is finishing up on the drivers door:

Posted Image

Eventually we ended up on the other side of the hood, the unfinished side....and for WHATEVER reason, center going towards the passenger side was in horrible shape. I didn't really realize this until i did two compounding passes using the Flex on the center section of the hood...and the hood STILL looked like it had just been gone across with a steel rake. Again, Vette's = hard paint...and thus deep scratches are very difficult to get out. So, it was time to kick it up a notch.

I hooked the makita up along with a Lake Country Synthetic Wool Pad (blue). I had used this baby a few times before and found it to leave lighter marring than other aggressive pads. It still marred, but it was a much easier clean up process than coming behind standard wool.

After going over the center of the hood with the rotary, i noticed a drastic difference, the results were much better. Almost all the deeper scratches had gone the way of the dinosaur, a few remained that required a second pass, but i was seeing much more progress.

I worked the remaining area of the hood...getting rid of the Rick's nightmare lol. I understood his frustration, thats for sure. After compounding the hood looked like this:

Posted Image

Leveled...or what many detailers and paint and body shops would call 'Finished' lol. This of course was not even near acceptable...it was good the deeper scratches were gone, but the haze/halo look left from the rotary had to be worked out next.

After a couple of polishing passes, all haze/marring had been removed...and the hood was looking the way we expected it to:

Posted Image

Well worth the extra effort....a bit closer...

Posted Image

Excuse the slight blurriness, red is SUCH a hard color to focus in on once it gets dark! Don't worry though, sun shots are coming up soon :)

Now being that this was a convertible, once we finished all the visible paint...it was time to put the top down, because there was more paint to be polished that was hiding on the inside :)

Posted Image

Gotta be sure to polish every inch of paint...no corner cutting or exceptions. And of course using a towel to cover the cockpit area so that there was no chance of any polishing dust or polish sling gets on the interior.

Posted Image

The reflections as the sun started to go down were beautiful...enough light to really show the color, but faded enough to not drown out the reflections

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/Reflection2.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/Reflection3.jpg

Turned out pretty good dont ya think?

After untaping the Corvette emblem...the polished paint surrounding it really made it pop:

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/P1020751.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/P1020750.jpg

Here is Dani doing some final touch up behind where the license plate attaches:

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/Coach2.jpg

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

As you can see, there are cords running everywhere! Some of them ran to fans, Rick was kind enough to hook up a couple of his smaller fans to help keep the air circulating in the garage....because for 90% of the detail, we kept the garage door down to allow our lights to highlight what we were working on and to block out the sun that was trying to sneak in and drown out our work lights.

Note that it was about 100 degrees that day, add in halogen work lights and the fact the garage was closed up and guess what....we were working in an Easy Bake Oven! (though in retrospect, after working in 112 the other day, 100 doesn't seem so bad).

Lighting is SO important. We use LED, Halogens and a sun gun....what looks great under a halogen often times will look marred under and LED. Halogens are awesome for seeing deeper defects, the sun gun is good for pin point checking areas for left over swirls/scratches, but the LED is the ULTIMATE marring inspection light. Any light haze or marring or scouring left over after polishing may be able to hide under most lights, but not highly concentrated LED's.

Last but not least, we did another wash to remove all leftover polish/dust and then we applied Fuzion, dressed tires, cleaned rims and windows etc. All the little stuff that makes the detail 'complete'.

We even found these little suckers hiding between the bottom runner near the rear passenger tire...how they got in there i dont know but they sure were fun to get out without scratching the paint:

Posted Image

So, by now i think you get the idea...though it was pampered...it still was in pretty bad shape. Paint in this condition didn't make Rick happy, didn't make us happy and damn sure didn't make the Vette happy! But it's ok....thats why we were there.

As always our first step would be to tape off a test spot and figure out what combo of machine/pad/product and technique would work best.

Posted Image

My sister Dani who was taping off all the trim did the honors of taping off my test spot so i could get our process dialed in while she finished up the remainder of the taping.

After testing our test area with a new microfiber cutting pad along with a cutting compound, it knocked down the swirls quite well...but as was expected, a VERY light haze was left. This is why lighting is SO important...under most circumstances...the paint would have looked awesome as if all defects had been removed, but having multiple light sources we were able to see the haze...which is why we always follow up with a second polishing step to further refine the paint.

The results of this will speak for themselves i think...here is a side by side before and after shot:

Posted Image

THAT is what red is suppose to look like.

A couple deeper ones still remained along the tape line, but they would come out when working on the undone section of the hood, as we always overlap a few inches into the section that we have already worked on, just to make sure if we did miss anything or if there were a few being stubborn, they would still get worked out:

Posted Image

All n' all, the test spot was showing many good things to come, here is a 50/50 shot of the test spot:

Posted Image

One more look...this was before:

Posted Image

WOW!

And this was after:

Posted Image

Much clearer don't you think?

We continued to make our way around the car, I was doing the compounding as usual and Dani was doing the final polishing.

We kept running into these....

Posted Image

But made them look like this:

Posted Image

Here she is finishing up on the drivers door:

Posted Image

Eventually we ended up on the other side of the hood, the unfinished side....and for WHATEVER reason, center going towards the passenger side was in horrible shape. I didn't really realize this until i did two compounding passes using the Flex on the center section of the hood...and the hood STILL looked like it had just been gone across with a steel rake. Again, Vette's = hard paint...and thus deep scratches are very difficult to get out. So, it was time to kick it up a notch.

I hooked the makita up along with a Lake Country Synthetic Wool Pad (blue). I had used this baby a few times before and found it to leave lighter marring than other aggressive pads. It still marred, but it was a much easier clean up process than coming behind standard wool.

After going over the center of the hood with the rotary, i noticed a drastic difference, the results were much better. Almost all the deeper scratches had gone the way of the dinosaur, a few remained that required a second pass, but i was seeing much more progress.

I worked the remaining area of the hood...getting rid of the Rick's nightmare lol. I understood his frustration, thats for sure. After compounding the hood looked like this:

Posted Image

Leveled...or what many detailers and paint and body shops would call 'Finished' lol. This of course was not even near acceptable...it was good the deeper scratches were gone, but the haze/halo look left from the rotary had to be worked out next.

After a couple of polishing passes, all haze/marring had been removed...and the hood was looking the way we expected it to:

Posted Image

Well worth the extra effort....a bit closer...

Posted Image

Excuse the slight blurriness, red is SUCH a hard color to focus in on once it gets dark! Don't worry though, sun shots are coming up soon :)

Now being that this was a convertible, once we finished all the visible paint...it was time to put the top down, because there was more paint to be polished that was hiding on the inside :)

Posted Image

Gotta be sure to polish every inch of paint...no corner cutting or exceptions. And of course using a towel to cover the cockpit area so that there was no chance of any polishing dust or polish sling gets on the interior.

Posted Image

The reflections as the sun started to go down were beautiful...enough light to really show the color, but faded enough to not drown out the reflections

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/Reflection2.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/Reflection3.jpg

Turned out pretty good dont ya think?

After untaping the Corvette emblem...the polished paint surrounding it really made it pop:

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/P1020751.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/P1020750.jpg

Here is Dani doing some final touch up behind where the license plate attaches:

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/Coach2.jpg

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

As you can see, there are cords running everywhere! Some of them ran to fans, Rick was kind enough to hook up a couple of his smaller fans to help keep the air circulating in the garage....because for 90% of the detail, we kept the garage door down to allow our lights to highlight what we were working on and to block out the sun that was trying to sneak in and drown out our work lights.

Note that it was about 100 degrees that day, add in halogen work lights and the fact the garage was closed up and guess what....we were working in an Easy Bake Oven! (though in retrospect, after working in 112 the other day, 100 doesn't seem so bad).

Lighting is SO important. We use LED, Halogens and a sun gun....what looks great under a halogen often times will look marred under and LED. Halogens are awesome for seeing deeper defects, the sun gun is good for pin point checking areas for left over swirls/scratches, but the LED is the ULTIMATE marring inspection light. Any light haze or marring or scouring left over after polishing may be able to hide under most lights, but not highly concentrated LED's.

Last but not least, we did another wash to remove all leftover polish/dust and then we applied Fuzion, dressed tires, cleaned rims and windows etc. All the little stuff that makes the detail 'complete'.

The end result was awesome. It took paint that looked like this:

Posted Image

and brought it to this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

These lovlies...

Posted Image

Were carefully polished out to reveal this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And these ugly guys here

Posted Image

Were givin the boot as well

Posted Image

Posted Image

And remember that messed up hood that drove Rick crazy whenever he'd come out to look at his car under the fluorescent lights...

Posted Image

Now THAT is how paint should look. It felt as soft and as smooth as it looks as well.

I think its ready to roll, dont you?

Posted Image

Many lights...no swirls:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lights on the back...

Posted Image

I loved this shot:

Posted Image

Nasty........

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/Finished6.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/Finished5.jpg

The guy in the background is Rick...one of the guys who lived in the neighborhood was driving by and stopped dead in his tracks when he saw the vette sitting in the garage....i mean come on, wouldn't you have stopped too??

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Wills_WindowsAndWheels/Ricks%20C6%20Corvette/Finished4.jpg

After finishing the photo shoot and talking with Rick for a while....he assured us he was more than happy with the results and was glad he went with us. That always makes ya feel good :) The next day was the Cruise on Central that we have here in Arizona every year, one of our bigger car shows, so the timing of the detail was PERFECT.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

So of course we had to swing by and see how the baby looked in person. I guess the forces of the universe were with us because we had no idea where the car was going to be parked, and the show was PACKED. A few hundred cars easily parked all through out several parking lots. Well...we ended up walking right to it. Here she is sitting under the bright AZ sun

Posted Image

Is that gloss or is that gloss??

Check out the reflection in the door:

Posted Image

Again just showing, every inch was polished:

Posted Image

The hood!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

We looked at literally 100's of cars while we were there, we saw about 3 with paint that was in good condition. Of coruse they all were clean and shiney from a distance, but if you got closer to where you could see where the sun was hitting, the truth was revealed. Swirled paint was 'decent' paint...as many had deeply scratched or...even worse...hologramed paint. Swirls are bad enough, but when you have holograms, that usually means the owner paid someone to 'detail' their car but were unfortunate enough to get one of the many hacks in our business. That pisses me off more than anything...someone getting paid to make a car look worse...and often times condemn REAL detailers for either how long we take to polish out a car or how we over charge.

Well, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for...in our case, we try to go above and beyond on every detail.

Posted Image

I think we were successful :)

And with it being such a beautiful day with such a beautiful car, we had to grab a couple of pictures with the vette:

Posted Image

Posted Image

We sent Rick a text letting him know we thought the Vette looked awesome and the condition it was in surely made it a stand out even amongst so many other awesome cars. He replied back saying "Thanks man, I think it looks great, especially the hood!!"

Thanks all for reading

Looks really great... I was going to ask what lights are best, then I see you added that part.

I would say with all those swirls most of them probably came from the rocks between the 1/4 panel & rocker panels during washing.

Wills, The Vette is still looking great, especially the hood. You and Dani did an amazing job on it. So far all I have done is wash the car when it gets dirty enough. Still resisting the urge to go over it with the California duster. (maybe I should donate it to Eddie :lol ) Rick

I threw my dusters in the trash. I got a couple new swirls in the paint..caused by ME. But all in all..a great service they provide..next year,,They can do it again.

Wills, The Vette is still looking great, especially the hood. You and Dani did an amazing job on it.

So far all I have done is wash the car when it gets dirty enough. Still resisting the urge to go over it with the California duster. (maybe I should donate it to Eddie :lol )

Rick

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Wow! What a difference. Nice work. :thumbs

Thanks man, glad you guys still take the time to read my write ups, hope they aren't too redundant, but i try to make each one unique and change it up some...but still keep the end of the story the same...a swirl free shine :partydance:

Excellent job! Great write up too! :thumbs

Thank ya much!

Looks really great...

I was going to ask what lights are best, then I see you added that part.

Yeah it really makes a difference having multiple sources. There have even been a couple situations, on soft black paint, where the paint looked awesome outside in the sun when we pulled the car out to check it...but then when putting the LED light on it, it was clear that verrrrrrrrry fine micro-marring was still there...thats when the super fine polish and our softest finishing pads come out.

Another thing to note is it matters HOW you hold the light...often times when i hand our flashlight or sun gun to the owner to check out a 50/50 area...they will put the light 4" from the paint surface, what that usually does is just totally drown out your vision and blind you from being able to see much of anything (Rick didn't do this i should note, but others have lol). What you usually want to do is hold the light back a good arms length or so so that it is not so bright on the paint...allow your eyes to focus on the paint and defects and then you can move the light in closer if you need to.

We'll usually inspect the paint from a distance and from up close. Fine holograms or rotary buffer trails are difficult to see within 2 feet of the paint, but if you stand back a good 6' to 8' and walk slowly with the light, it catches the holograms just right (if they are small like i said). Now if the car has been ripped to pieces by a hack 'detailer' with a rotary, you can see that in any light lol.

Micro marring is usually best seen with an LED with the light arms length back.

Your standard deep swirls are seen real well with any of the 3 lights i mentioned...but once the swirls get smaller and you THINK they are gone, thats when you have to get a bit close (when compounding, not polishing) with something like the sun gun to see if any part of any deeper swirl(s) remain.

That is what we've found best for us so far, being mobile we obviously dont have consistent lighting conditions, so we kind of have to create our own environment, which i think we've gotten pretty good at :)

I would say with all those swirls most of them probably came from the rocks between the 1/4 panel & rocker panels during washing.

Those pebbles were in there TIGHT oddly enough. I'd be kinda shocked if they cam out during washing, and if something that size had come out, it usually would have left much deep gouges in the paint than even what we were dealing with, those could have easily cut down to primer if too much pressure was used while washing.

Usually swirls are from the small stuff like, spray waxing down the car when its lightly dusty...you are still dragging dirt across the paint with insufficient lubricant in most cases. Using a duster is a good way to inflict damage as well. Dirty wash mitts or towels with debris or even coarse lint can cause light swirls. I actually had a time where i was rubbing just moderately trying to remove a hardened piece of polish on the door, with a completely clean microfiber...and it left a little finger sized marring spot :facepalm: ...had to go back n fix it lol. So little things make a big difference.

I heard on another forum there has actually been a recall to fix the issue of the rocks getting caught in that area???

Wills, The Vette is still looking great, especially the hood. You and Dani did an amazing job on it.

So far all I have done is wash the car when it gets dirty enough. Still resisting the urge to go over it with the California duster. (maybe I should donate it to Eddie :lol )

Rick

Rick, your hood should go in the show and shine hall of fame lol. Very glad you were so pleased with the work and just as glad to hear it is still in great shape and glad you're fighting the temptation of the duster! I've always found it funny that car care stores sell those things lol, even when they KNOW they do damage...guess thats job security right?

You could always use it do dust ceiling fan blades :)

I threw my dusters in the trash. I got a couple new swirls in the paint..caused by ME. But all in all..a great service they provide..next year,,They can do it again.

Rick

Looking forward to it Jim and :thankyou: ....now we just have to get your wifes car into equally as good of condition :partydance:

I never cease to be amazed by how good paint can look when attacked by someone who actually knows what they are doing. Simply stunning. Cant wait to get my interior all sorted so I can get a detail and sit back in awe of a vette that I actually have the keys for :thumbs

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

I never cease to be amazed by how good paint can look when attacked by someone who actually knows what they are doing. Simply stunning. Cant wait to get my interior all sorted so I can get a detail and sit back in awe of a vette that I actually have the keys for :thumbs

Thank you :)

Thats gotta be a good feeling for sure to be able to spend time doing your own ride and know that, unlike us, you don't have to give it back to the owner when you're done! Thats usually the hardest part for me...separation anxiety!

Awesome work, .. makes 'shiny' seem so understated :) -Frank aka GE

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Awesome work,

.. makes 'shiny' seem so understated :)

-Frank aka GE

SO true :)...there is definitely a difference between shiny and "DAMN!" lol

• 2 months later...

Wills....excellent job...but I wouldn't expect anything else from you two....Both you and Dani are terriffic and Professional.......as for the rocks.....next time I am up there I will show you how to remove them....but there is a bolt/screw on the inner wheel well....comes right off and makes the job pretty easy....just takes some time and this is a pretty standard problem on the C-6 models......ps.....the ole Z is still looking good....I look forward to the next detail and will definitely take you up on your offer for dinner/lunch.....later and say hi t your family.....the other Rick

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Wills....excellent job...but I wouldn't expect anything else from you two....Both you and Dani are terriffic and Professional.......as for the rocks.....next time I am up there I will show you how to remove them....but there is a bolt/screw on the inner wheel well....comes right off and makes the job pretty easy....just takes some time and this is a pretty standard problem on the C-6 models......ps.....the ole Z is still looking good....I look forward to the next detail and will definitely take you up on your offer for dinner/lunch.....later and say hi t your family.....the other Rick

Thanks as always Rick, glad to hear from you. Dani JUST asked me about 2 days ago if i had heard from you recently, seriously lol. Someone on another thread made mention of the same bolt/screw that needed to be removed to allow the rocks to fall out...i wasn't hip to the trick at the time lol

Will surely say hi to my family for ya and will be looking forward to your next visit :)

Wow you guys did an awesome job! How did you get all those little rocks out from between the rocker panel?

In this case we were able to push them back through with a plastic detailing tool we had on hand (carefully of course), but it seems that the release of the bolt/screw mentioned by Rick up above seems to be the much easier approach :)