NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Here's one we haven't seen before...

F22trainer

Question of the day...

Anyone know if you can get drilled / slotted rotors turned? How much?

I would think you could do it on a vertical mill with a turntable.

I had heard you can't turn them...probably due to the skips in pressure as the tool passes across the holes and slotts. Joe verified they couldn't turn mine because they are slotted / drilled. I'm thinking a 1" bit on the turntable would do it.

Guest Sidewinder

I am pretty sure you can but it is either a special machine or different proceedure I can't remember.

Guest LT4ME
I am pretty sure you can but it is either a special machine or different proceedure I can't remember.

You can machine them on a normal brake lathe just like any other rotors. I'd imagine they'd warp FAST after being machined, though, especially on a Vette owned by one of us. :chris

You can machine them on a normal brake lathe just like any other rotors. I'd imagine they'd warp FAST after being machined, though, especially on a Vette owned by one of us. :chris

:agree From what I've heard is that once you modify the thickness of a drilled/slotted rotor it will pretty much do it in.

Yes, most place can turn them. I need to get mine done, asked the local napa if they turned slotted/drilled rotors, he said they did. Probably where I'll take mine. I have cheap ones, so no big issue if they warp.

Guest Kens06

The drilled and slotted are for show!!

You lose enough mass with that procedure and after a good track day most of these people complain about micro cracks radiating from the holes! You take even more mass away with a cut and a couple GOOD stops will have those babies glowing like Daytona prototypes!! When you get home and they cool down, let me know if you like the shade of blue!!

If you have ever seen the damage from a front brake disk failure, you will never skimp again!!

Ken

The drilled and slotted are for show!!

You lose enough mass with that procedure and after a good track day most of these people complain about micro cracks radiating from the holes! You take even more mass away with a cut and a couple GOOD stops will have those babies glowing like Daytona prototypes!! When you get home and they cool down, let me know if you like the shade of blue!!

If you have ever seen the damage from a front brake disk failure, you will never skimp again!!

Ken

ADS can turn them ... you need a special lathe.

Guest mystifiedworm

:agree with all the above. You can get rotors turned but will warp really fast and you end up buying new ones anyway. So skip the trouble of installing twice and buy new ones.

Chad

:agree with all the above. You can get rotors turned but will warp really fast and you end up buying new ones anyway. So skip the trouble of installing twice and buy new ones.

Chad

THANX...for confirming what I expected. The stock rotors were turned when I put on the slotted ones and I've been hanging on to them for just such an occaision.

Guest LT4ME
THANX...for confirming what I expected. The stock rotors were turned when I put on the slotted ones and I've been hanging on to them for just such an occaision.

Smart move. I plan on doing the same with mine when I put the D&S ones on.